• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helicopters start rescue efforts after landslide traps hundreds on B.C. highway

Meanwhile, at the RV sales place, a huge fire has broken out:

Huge fire burning in Abbotsford Wednesday as city deals with flooding | Watch News Videos Online

Large fire burning in Abbotsford, B.C. amid flooding and evacuations​

The Malahat is single lane alternating traffic right now and will be for at least the next week apparently. I usually pick my wife up at work in Downtown Victoria in the evening and Traffic was lined all the way to Downtown yesterday evening of people trying to get home to Westshore, Mill Bay, Shawnigan, etc.

I also read of a few gas stations lacking fuel atm.

Meanwhile, at the RV sales place, a huge fire has broken out:

Huge fire burning in Abbotsford Wednesday as city deals with flooding | Watch News Videos Online

Large fire burning in Abbotsford, B.C. amid flooding and evacuations​

Divert some of that floodwater to the RV shop?

Problem solved. :sneaky:

I'm not sure an engineer field squadron would make much of a dent in this. What we need is something like the CF response to the Manitoba floods of 1997.

I have had some contact with folks in the Fraser Valley and they keep asking 'Where's the Army when you need them?'.

Of course I replied that who they actually need is the Navy. Some get the joke.

Others - not so much ;)

From a buddy of mine in Abby, looks like they were able to save the Barrowtown pump station last night. That's the primary drainage for Sumas..

It's still a disaster, but at least they'll be able to pump out the farmland without having to rebuild the pumps first. I think that "the farmland" in this case also includes the Trans Canada Highway.

From what I'm hearing, the Coquihalla (5), and the Trans Canada north past Lytton are both definitely out for a while- we've all seen those photos. That leaves the 3 and the 99.

Highway 3 (the Crowsnest) has slides on it, but hopefully they can clear it in reasonably short order. Nothing heard yet suggesting washouts or major structural issues. Potentially could have traffic moving by the end of the weekend.

Highway 99 beyond Whistler is completely blocked by slides, including the one with the known fatality, and it sounds like that slide hit cars by surprise... There may be more. I'm not sure if they've been able to meaningfully assess the whole route for actual damage yet, but it sounds liek the provincial government expects to reopen it also in reasonably short order. So, for a while it'll be the 3 and the 99.

No word on rail, but they'll bust their ass and thrown everything at it, and I don't think much bureaucracy will stand in the way. I would be surprised if the rail companies don't already have emergency plans in place for all the bridges for just this sort of eventuality.

Now that the rain storm's departed we can crank up the blame storm:

How B.C.'s catastrophic rainfall, flooding was foretold days before​

Wednesday, November 17th 2021, 10:29 am - What began as an ordinary rainstorm had quickly escalated to the beginnings of a significant event on Sunday, Nov. 14, making a major flood unavoidable, according to Tyler Hamilton, a meteorologist at The Weather Network.

The warning signs of B.C.'s epic rainstorm this week appeared as early as Nov. 9, according to Tyler Hamilton, a meteorologist at The Weather Network.

Word of rising freezing levels for the South Coast for Remembrance Day came as early as Tuesday, Nov. 9. The forecast had indicated a "pineapple express" was in the works. For reference, a pineapple express is the name given to a potent band of tropical moisture originating from the deep tropics near the Hawaiian Islands. It can target the West Coast from B.C. to California. It's an example of an atmospheric river.

Then, computer model guidance on Thursday, Nov. 11 had suggested that more than 200 mm of rain was headed for the Fraser Valley. By Saturday, Nov. 13, it was evident that Victoria's "rain shadow" would fail, Hamilton says, as a stream of moisture pushed into Squamish and other areas.

From the Abbotsford Rod and Gun club

Skills and Drills for November 19 and 20 2021

We’ll be working on submerged shooting this weekend. Friday will see us tethered in spot, holding our breath and shooting under water at targets 6 inches away. Saturday you will be navigating a stage while wearing a rebreather.

Okay, enough joking.

The club has been hit hard, we do not have a timeline of when we will be back to operational status. Currently about 6-8ft of water are on the property and there will obviously be significant damage as a result. I would be amazed to see the outdoor ranges usable before the New Year and the indoor before spring time.

We will rebuild and recover, but it’s going to take time.

I have had some contact with folks in the Fraser Valley and they keep asking 'Where's the Army when you need them?'.

Of course I replied that who they actually need is the Navy. Some get the joke.

Others - not so much ;)
Well, at least the coast guard was able to extract people by helicopter.

Now that the rain storm's departed we can crank up the blame storm:

BC shits on the rest of western Canada for destroying the environment while they drained an entire lake to make town and agriculture space.

Reactions: QV
Well, at least the coast guard was able to extract people by helicopter.

Actually, I saw a pice of news coverage with the Big Yellow Bird doing her thing over the caption: 'Army Helicopter Rescues Stranded Motorists'.

I was going to get a photo for you but it was too late :)

Actually, I saw a pice of news coverage with the Big Yellow Bird doing her thing over the caption: 'Army Helicopter Rescues Stranded Motorists'.

I was going to get a photo for you but it was too late :)
I have so little faith in the MSM's use of correct military terminology that as long as they knew it was Canadian, I'd be happy.

I have to wonder whether the water management infrastructure governing Sumas Lake/Prairie in the valley is holding water in, rather than out.

A good summary of the Sumas Lake/Prairie area.

After the 1990 flood that submerged farmland and closed the highway, an international task force was created to tackle the challenge of preparing a response to a flood that might affect both Canada and the United States. Nothing came of that group. And as the memory of the flood receded, so too did the urgency to prevent another one.

Mother Nature and gravity are not easily defied.

And it's Official: Class C for everyone!

B.C. declares state of emergency in wake of devastating flooding, mudslides​

Premier Horgan says he expects to confirm more fatalities in the coming days​

THE LATEST:

British Columbia's government declared a province-wide state of emergency effective noon PT Wednesday, Premier John Horgan said at a news conference.

Potentially Yes... I would not be at all surprised if there are an order of magnitude more Professional engineers and experienced construction workers (all civiilian qualifications) in the reserves than in the Reg force. The CAF does not really appreciate the assets it has available in the reserves... mobilizing those skill sets is another question, but ignoring this potential capability is a waste IMHO.

On the other hand I would imagine that all qualified PEngs will be gainfully employed in short order along with anybody that can manage a backhoe.

On the other hand I would imagine that all qualified PEngs will be gainfully employed in short order along with anybody that can manage a backhoe.
I've always been a fan of the British system of allowing a secondary trade, but your only allowed to partially qualify. Would allow many troops to apply civilian qualifications to the military and increase our flexibility.

I've always been a fan of the British system of allowing a secondary trade, but your only allowed to partially qualify. Would allow many troops to apply civilian qualifications to the military and increase our flexibility.
We had an interesting situation on an OP Lentus where they would not let us go out without a Medic with each group/platoon. We reported back that the DRC had 2 firefighters and a qualified civilian paramedic. In a surprise move they said no problem.

Finally some decent video (on CBC). Two, maybe even three, complete breaches of Hwy 1; at least two on Hwy 5 involving different bridges with both sets of lanes dropped. Last time I saw footage of the erosion of the southbound lanes not too far "north" of the Hwy 3/5 junction, the river was almost at the northbound lanes.

Back