• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helicopters start rescue efforts after landslide traps hundreds on B.C. highway

Gas rationing, and other emergency orders, announced by the BC Government.

You, you and you, come with me. The rest of you: panic :)

BC to begin restricting gas for drivers amidst shortage​

BC’s provincial government has announced that it will begin restricting gas for drivers.

The announcement was made on Friday afternoon by Emergency Management BC and Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth.

“Due to weather-related impacts to the Trans Mountain pipeline and damage to the roadways, there is a reduced but steady supply of gasoline,” Farnworth says.

The order begins effective immediately and will remain in place until December 1, 2021. It will apply to fuel suppliers in the Lower Mainland to the Hope region, the Sea to Sky region, Sunshine Coast, Gulf Islands, and Vancouver Island.

Non-essential vehicles, including the general public, will be limited to 30 litres per trip at retail gas stations. Essential vehicles, however, will have unrestricted access to fuel — these vehicles will use “predominantly commercial trucking gas stations,” which use card locks.

Gas rationing, and other emergency orders, announced by the BC Government.

You, you and you, come with me. The rest of you: panic :)

BC to begin restricting gas for drivers amidst shortage​

BC’s provincial government has announced that it will begin restricting gas for drivers.

The announcement was made on Friday afternoon by Emergency Management BC and Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth.

“Due to weather-related impacts to the Trans Mountain pipeline and damage to the roadways, there is a reduced but steady supply of gasoline,” Farnworth says.

The order begins effective immediately and will remain in place until December 1, 2021. It will apply to fuel suppliers in the Lower Mainland to the Hope region, the Sea to Sky region, Sunshine Coast, Gulf Islands, and Vancouver Island.

Non-essential vehicles, including the general public, will be limited to 30 litres per trip at retail gas stations. Essential vehicles, however, will have unrestricted access to fuel — these vehicles will use “predominantly commercial trucking gas stations,” which use card locks.

Good time to have an electric car

Maybe a 450 Det in YOY, but Hooks can hit YCX on a single tank, let alone barely finish a post-takeoff check before they hit YOY. YOY barely gives time for a level-off check out of YWA. I used to dread the PITA YWA-YOY hops in a 135 or even a 146, but coffee in a Hook’s barely off piping hot letting down into Traz.

The West would still benefit from a permanent presence if Scrooge McDuck would let loose a few gold doubloons to pick up some more Hooks.
You make a good point but strangely they still haven’t visited very many times. I just meant in terms of supporting 5GBMC the same as 1CMBG, that being said I guess 450 would have to get a flight or two of griffons to support 2CMBG since 427 is otherwise committed. I see other benefits from the cross pollination too; TTPs development, recruiting and retention (not just aircrew) to name a few.

Edit: I just realized I’m not really commenting substantively on the subject of this thread. Instead focusing on TacHel and my own little world. Since BC is my homeland, I will say that it’s crazy that the mainland isn’t better served by CAF assets. Great job to 442! But more choppers for this huge country seems prudent. I like KevinB‘s idea of consolidating our fleets and getting more of the mighty Hooks, especially like the idea of painting the first off the line Yellow and the rest green so that it’s more palatable to the powers that be. Shifting assets (equipment and personnel) depending on needs and just switching mission kits by our excellent techs. More cross-pollination (yes, I’m over-using this term)!!!

Last edited:
My comment was directly to a gas rationing article

I heard on the news that EV dealerships were being besieged with orders after they announced the rationing. Supply chain delays mean they won't get them for a year though:

Travel and gas restrictions now in place as flood cleanup underway in B.C.​

Some residents of flood-ravaged town of Merritt to be allowed back to recover personal possessions​

THE LATEST:

• Provincial officials have imposed limits on buying gas and travelling on B.C.'s damaged highways.
  • B.C. Agriculture Minister Lana Popham says 200 square kilometres of farmland have been flooded so far across southern B.C., and 959 farms were on evacuation order as of Friday evening.
  • Personnel from the army continue to arrive and assist with emergency operations, with a small group helping to repair a dike in the city of Abbotsford.
  • Transport Canada has banned non-essential boat travel in the flooded areas of the province.
  • More than 14,000 residents of B.C. remain on evacuation order following the flooding and landslides of the last week.
  • Some residents of Merritt, B.C., will be allowed back to their homes to recover personal possessions. An evacuation order was issued for the entire town of 7,000 last week.
  • For a list of up-to-date flood warnings, visit the River Forecast Centre.

British Columbians are starting to feel the effects of supply chain issues following floods and landslides that left thousands evacuated from their homes, highways destroyed and entire regions swamped.

It has been nearly a week since record-shattering rainfall left communities across southern B.C. devastated, with upwards of 14,000 still away from their homes due to floodwaters.

Those in flood-ravaged areas will now only be able to fill up to 30 litres of fuel per visit to the gas station as the supply chain continues to be affected.

The emergency order, announced on Friday, covers drivers in the Lower Mainland-to-Hope region, the Sea-to-Sky region, the Sunshine Coast, the Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island. It will be in effect until Dec. 1. Essential vehicles will be exempt from the order.

"It's 10 to 11 days that we have to pull together as a province. If we're greedy, we'll fail," B.C. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth told reporters at a news conference on Friday.

Farnworth said the storm forced the closure of the Trans Mountain pipeline, along with rail and highway links allowing the passage of fuel province-wide.

Fuel supplies are also coming in from Alberta, Washington, Oregon and California to help with the shortage.

It will be interesting to read the AARs regarding the evacuation of Merritt to see if any EVs were involved. It's a long drive to anywhere from Merritt and I suspect charging stations are few and far between. If I lived anywhere where evacuation was a possibility I would always ensure there was at least one gasoline-powered vehicle in the family. A new challenge for emergency planners and responders.

5B2F4C51-0857-4DD8-87D4-FDDF56179A70.png
It will be interesting to read the AARs regarding the evacuation of Merritt to see if any EVs were involved. It's a long drive to anywhere from Merritt and I suspect charging stations are few and far between. If I lived anywhere where evacuation was a possibility I would always ensure there was at least one gasoline-powered vehicle in the family. A new challenge for emergency planners and responders.
There’s a supercharger within ~100 km in every direction.

I stand corrected. Still not convinced EVs are the answer in an emergency evacuation, but I guess there are more chargers than I appreciated. Comes from not driving an EV!

Diesel would be a better bet.

You could always siphon some from one of these sitting back from a washed out bridge…
1637430026852.jpeg

I stand corrected. Still not convinced EVs are the answer in an emergency evacuation, but I guess there are more chargers than I appreciated. Comes from not driving an EV!

There are always people like this willing to help out, thank Gawd:

Attachments

• 1-flights.jpg
    1-flights.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 9
During a prolonged emergency affecting grid (delivery), EVs would gradually become more useless. ICEs in absence of fuel delivery would also be limited, but gas is easier to swap between vehicles.

Send it, Bob:

"I am a professional emergency manager with more than 20 years’ experience. The recent rainfall event has only confirmed the state of disaster unpreparedness in B.C.

This lack of preparedness exists at four levels.

First, individuals are responsible for their own emergency preparedness. Few make the effort to do so.

Second, while the B.C. Emergencies Act delegates the responsibility for emergency preparedness to local authorities, few municipalities and regional districts take emergency preparedness seriously and fund their emergency planning and preparedness programs adequately.

Third, the province continues to hide behind the Emergencies Act, holding local authorities responsible for emergency preparedness and response knowing full well most are unable or unwilling to meet the requirements of the act. We saw this shortfall to our horror during the heat dome of last summer, and we are seeing it again as B.C. reels from the effects of the destructive recent rainfall.

Finally, in terms of emergency preparedness, the federal government appears to have concluded that B.C. has already slid into the Pacific and ignores us.

The heat dome and heavy rainfall, dramatic as they were, pale in comparison to what we could expect from a major earthquake.

There are many dedicated professional and volunteer emergency managers across B.C. who struggle to manage poorly funded and supported emergency programs, but they have been let down by their various orders of government.

We are not prepared for a major disaster in B.C., and we ignore the warnings we have been given at our peril.

Bob Black
Saanichton"

Letters Nov. 18: The Malahat problem; we're not ready for a real disaster
The local authorities seem happy to maintain an office then download the heavy lifting as far as funding equipment, and often buildings, to SAR groups' attached societies: not sure what VFD funding looks like, but while better, I think it's similar in a need to source funds from other than the local government for at least some gear.

SAR volunteers needing to take a chunk of the finite time they have to allocate to "SAR stuff other than actual callouts" and devote it to fundraising is ridiculous.

Nothing like a good actuarial analysis to sort things out. Add up the costs of what amounts to self-insurance (eg. compensation and rebuilding), compare to costs of preventive measures.

Reading today of references to 1-in-200-year floods in a study prepared a while back. Obvious inference: we get these with or without climate change.

There’s another RCAF C-17 westbound over Saskatchewan right now, out of Quebec City. Follow on materiel for the Tac Hel deployment?

There’s another RCAF C-17 westbound over Saskatchewan right now, out of Quebec City. Follow on materiel for the Tac Hel deployment?
1st flight was 3 griffins, still got to get the rest of the kit there too

Back