• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HELP! LOSING the fight in AFGHANISTAN?

Thanks Roy!

Already sitting down with an ice cold MGD as we speak!

Quag said:
Thanks Roy!

Already sitting down with an ice cold MGD as we speak!

Well now that you're done that.... I want to state one reservation I have. Yes I believe in our mission to support a
"failed state" get back on it's feet. And yes it is in our country's best self interest for Afghanistan to be a stable state capable of making it's own independent decisions on what it believes to be in their best interest.
But my reservation is along the time line issue. How long should we stay working towards these goals? How long will NATO countries support there governments spending blood and treasure on these goals? I believe the Taliban has summed this up by saying" NATO has the watches we have the time."

Baden  Guy said:
Well now that you're done that.... I want to state one reservation I have. Yes I believe in our mission to support a
"failed state" get back on it's feet. And yes it is in our country's best self interest for Afghanistan to be a stable state capable of making it's own independent decisions on what it believes to be in their best interest.
But my reservation is along the time line issue. How long should we stay working towards these goals? How long will NATO countries support there governments spending blood and treasure on these goals? I believe the Taliban has summed this up by saying" NATO has the watches we have the time."

The time issue cannot be settled by any arbitrary calendar date; rather the legitimate government of Afghanistan will have to be the ones to tell us "thank you so much for your help, now we can do the job ourselves". This will require a real application of will power and extended effort on our part, especially against moral cowards who are afraid of the risk required to achieve the rewards of creating a strong and independent state with a viable economy, functioning institutions and respect for human rights. (Notice the same people who are against "oppression" of minorities, women, homosexuals etc. here are silent on how these groups are treated by the Jihadis?).

It took a decade to rebuild Germany and Japan after the Second World War, and Afghanistan is starting from an even lower level of infrastructure and institutions, so we will have to be there for the long haul.

If we look at Cyprus, we left after some 20 years... some 10 years later, they have started taking down the walls dividing the capitol...

If we look at Japan, they were bombed back to the stone ages in 1945.  By the mid 60s they were coming round the home stretch.  By 1976 they were flexing their muscle in Asia.

If we look at Germany - it took some 30 + years to reunite the two halves of a country bombed back to the stone ages.........

Sooo... 30years sounds like a reasonnable expectation of how long it could take to have a rock solid government.....

Oh - yeah - Italy has ben toppling their governments pert much every year since 1945.... maybe another 30 years and they will be ok

Rememebr  - Rome wasn't built in a day (or 30 years)

Back