• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Herc on Floats for Spec Ops?

lenaitch

Reaction score
Actually you need both.
While you can LAPES a boat/equipment in the water (it has been alleged that certain water craft can even have personnel in them for this - color me not interested in being on one), I think this has more of a retrieval of personnel and equipment aspect, as opposed to insertion or sustainment - and not as a "emergency landing option"

Insertions can be done off subs - but if you have a hot extraction, few subs want to be in shallow water against a pursuit - and a Herc can get in fairly quick and out --- BUT it needs to be able to take off after.

Again - I am not a pilot, but after 'sitting' with the crew chiefs and counting over 400 holes in the Blackhawk we just landed in -- I appreciate getting out of dodge as fast as one can...

Neither a pilot nor a member of the military, but if the goal is quick extraction, one wonders how fast a float-equipped Herc could get off the water. Obviously we don't know but I have my doubts that, as our Turbo Beaver pilot liked to say, it would take off 'like a home sick angel'. Also, I tend to agree with another post that it would probably fly like a brick.