• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

And well he should; the rules are pretty clear.

I had a friend who came to a regional PS from a pre-amalgamation department. He was well respected but didn't get along with the new chief who had been parachuted in from Toronto. He was KOD and his family was adamant the the chief was not allowed to attend the funeral. He went to the wake at the community centre afterwards since the family couldn't control that and most members just assumed he was at the funeral.
In this case the Chief at the time detested him. But the chiefs son made detective in no time at all.
Nepotism at its finest.

The Constable in question didn’t take kindly to little assholes. They often underwent some intense counselling….
The beat cops loved him. Took no shit from anyone.

And people want to believe in police and policing. But then there's the Ottawa Police Service. Beat up a kid? Then make threats that are recorded and entered into the court record? A year's demotion for your second offence. Lie in court ? Fail to attend court? Be credibly accused of stealing from crime scenes? Leave with pay, unable to testify, but still appear in public in a metal band.

From the examples of OPS, it appears in the context of Ontario policing that current tools are inadequate, and do not either correct individual behaviours or provide a deterrence to others.

And I could do a quick google and say "we want people believing in our military officers?" But then there's the HQ in Ottawa.

Don't worry that this shit makes the news,...start worrying when it doesn't anymore.

They remain liable for any criminal offences.

I suppose we all are.

I believe medical and legal professional misconduct can be given professional sanction post retirement as well.

Are there any other professions (besides CAF) that can follow you with professional conduct sanctions such as fines after ending employment/licensing/registration with the professional body? I’m asking out of ignorance.

Base Hospital - there are eight in Ontario - can end your licensure to make sure you never "do a lateral" within the province.

Base Hospital informs the Medical Directors of Ontario Base Hospital Group (OBHG).

OBHG informs the Ministry of Health Emergency Health Regulatory and Accountability Branch (EHRAB) and the Emergency Health Program Management and Delivery Branch (EHPMDB).

They inform the Ontario Association of Paramedic Chiefs (OAPC).

There's no way to "slip through the cracks", within Ontario.

Might try your luck with another provincial regulator. < dunno emoji. 🤷‍♂️

8 years of paid leave as a police officer while waiting for a rape conviction and after a drug trafficking conviction? Glad to see the CAF isn't the only institution that can't quickly cut the cord on its miscreants.

8 years of paid leave as a police officer while waiting for a rape conviction and after a drug trafficking conviction? Glad to see the CAF isn't the only institution that can't quickly cut the cord on its miscreants
But but innocent until proven guilty or some BS like that

8 years of paid leave as a police officer while waiting for a rape conviction and after a drug trafficking conviction? Glad to see the CAF isn't the only institution that can't quickly cut the cord on its miscreants.
In 2019 our provincial government passed legislation allowing for the suspension without pay of police officers in Ontario who are charged with a serious offence not related to their duties, and against whom the police chief has commenced or has served notice of intent to commence disciplinary proceedings likely to result in termination of employment. That legislation was to come into force on a date proclaimed by the Lieutenant Governor. Thus far, premier Ford has failed to have this actually done. So, for four years the necessary statute has existed, but hasn’t been actually in force. That’s a pretty hard fail.

In 2019 our provincial government passed legislation allowing for the suspension without pay of police officers in Ontario who are charged with a serious offence not related to their duties, and against whom the police chief has commenced or has served notice of intent to commence disciplinary proceedings likely to result in termination of employment. That legislation was to come into force on a date proclaimed by the Lieutenant Governor. Thus far, premier Ford has failed to have this actually done. So, for four years the necessary statute has existed, but hasn’t been actually in force. That’s a pretty hard fail.
🤦🏼‍♂️

My obvious questions are...

- How does a rape conviction take 8 bloody years?

- Why still employed after a drug trafficking charge?

- Why would a police union/association still want someone like that around? Sucking up police resources when that person could be replaced by someone who isn't a total disgrace to the badge?

- Why would a police union/association still want someone like that around? Sucking up police resources when that person could be replaced by someone who isn't a total disgrace to the badge?

I thought our place was pretty tolerant.

You didn't have to be charged to be fired for "conduct unbecoming" when off-duty.

No suspension. Just fired. Fast.

You know how Unions work, right?

italy sopranos GIF by HBO

The sexual assault charge was laid in October 2021. Given the pace of our criminal justice system, a recent conviction is not unusual. The media coverage says that the assault occurred 2018. I do not know when the allegation was brought to their attention.

The OPP has been trying to terminate him since at least 2018 (based on a conviction for the 2015 drug charge). They have to work within the disciplinary system that he has been manipulating to his advantage. Recent proposed changes to legislation may change the rules surrounding 'suspension without pay' (I don't know if they are in force yet).

The association likely wants him gone as much as anyone else, but it has a legal duty to represent. I don't know for a fact but can almost guarantee you that it has not been funding his criminal defence.

I can’t say how often police are fired for non-criminal misconduct. It does happen.

You know how Unions work, right?

Only how the one I was a member of for just shy of 37 years worked.

Certain jobs require a high level of skill and a high level of trust from both employers and the public. For employees working in those types of positions, it’s possible that off-duty behaviour can call into question that trust, if it demonstrates poor judgment. And if an employer no longer has confidence that an employee has the judgment to perform a job of high skill and responsibility, the result could be dismissal.

In a situation like that, even with no police charges, the union can't save your job.

I know our union could not. Although an outsider might say, "I don't care who they send when I dial 9-1-1."

The union can't save your licence to practice the profession either.

That decision is entirely up to the base hospital medical director.

We had a ten-page discussion here about "off-duty behavior" at a Toronto soccer game,

Harrasment in public..Hydro One fires "jerk" for reporter prank​

He was eventually re-hired.

"It is always more difficult for employers to discipline for off-duty misconduct,” he explained. “But it also has to do with the nature of Mr. Sxxxx role at Hydro One, which was not client-facing, as is my understanding. And that would be a key distinction in a case like this.
“If you have someone who represents Hydro One to the public on a day-to-day basis, then that public off-duty misconduct will presumably more seriously impair that employee’s ability to do their job than for someone whose responsibilities are internal.”

Overall, Mr. Sxxxx status as a unionized employee is a major factor, and Kastner says a non-unionized worker in his shoes would have a much harder time regaining their job.

I mean, it's clear here that you were a part of the problem, and didn't have any qualms turning a blind eye to injustice, as long as you could maintain some thin veneer of plausible deniability.

So... what would your proposed solution be?

Don't know.

You may find some in this recent article.

EMS technicians need to be held accountable for failing to adequately treat victims of police violence.

Back