• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High school education is obsolete

Well I've yet to enter highschool but I can honestly say I'm not looking forward to it.
I've got a nasty fear of large groups of civilian teens... not to mention a shy side. That and the fact I'm generally unattractive.
Going from a little Ukrainian school, where everyone is friends with each other, to a large community public school will be a daunting task... nevermind trying to fit in with a group that's been together for so long...

Jeeze...  :-\

Lexi said:
That and the fact I'm generally unattractive.
Jeeze...   :-\

You are way to hard on yourself.  Unattractive by what standard? Cosmo, Vogue, Maxim, FHM?  its called photoshop.  Embrace yourself for who you are tell everyone else to flock off.

Yeah, we probably met a few times... 

You weren't in SJA were you?

I wouldn't call highschool education obsolete as it is the only viable option in Canada right now for education at those ages and as has been pointed out a minimum requirement for many employers who offer career jobs. I think the highschool curriculum in Canada (I am using Canada not speaking generally you should note) is watered down to meet those workplace demands. A mechanic (yes I picked an obvious and oft picked on trade) does not really need anything beyond a grade 10 level, even maths in highschool isn't job specific enough to help in that career (and inded many others). However looking at what you need to get an apprenticeship and because of the fact that the majority of people have a highschool graduating diploma, it would be difficult to not have a graduation diploma.

Standby as I sing a thousand praises of the British education system (for all the complaining that goes on they've got it right)
You can leave school at 16 and start an apprenticeship, this is done and done by many, name a trade (even some things like civil and structural engineering) and you can start out at 16 and into trades with career in mind, with a good education, reading some of the books they use it's a damn sight harder then my schooling was up to 16.

They have NVQs (National Vocational Qualifications) which are available to be taken by anyone at any age (regardless of qualifications in most cases) and they are job specific qualifications with on the job training which is recognised worldwide (not just in the UK) though most readily accepted in the UK. I'm working on an NVQ right now in a number of fields (adventure training, activity leadership, archery instruction, horseback instruction, sports coaching etc.) through the company I am employed by as they are as qualified as any educational institute to train and qualify people in these fields. Now I'm not going to use the horseback or archery qualifications (well..maybe) but imagine what a 16 year old who wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell in Canada could do with those? Now how many of you feel cheated out of 2 years ;D

The opportunities for a nongraduates (of anything) are out there here as the employers have recognised that a diploma is worthless if the person is not up for that particular job, there are many who would rather have a 16-17 year old with GCSES (the minimal schooling) that they can train and give national standards to on their own and assure themselves that they are what they are, then a 21 year old graduate who has a piece of paper and 3 years of university who they know nothing about beyond their qualifcations. Odds are however they're not going to get someone with a degree applying to them anyway

And then there's still the option to go on to higher education through A-Levels (sort of like Canadian Highschool but as far as I can see raelly really hard for the most part) and on to a university degree. Of course certain employers would rather have a university graduate, but they are balanced by a great many who don't care either way.

The point to all of this is that all of those routes are seen as absolutely equal by the majority of employers!
Often on job applications you'll see something along the lines of:

Experience required:
A degree in the field and/or any number of acceptable NVQ's in the field.

Don't get me wrong having a degree is a huge thing here, but that's just it, it's a huge thing. I remember going to university and seeing some of the people I played footbal with there and thinking to myself...."what on earth are they doing here?" the response (to a less offensive question) "Bachelor of Commerce" or "BAchelor of Arts" or "bachloer of science"
I know these guys like family and they shouldn't be there, not by a longshot but hell they've got their graduation diploma and no other options do they?
Though I will admit there is a slight resurgence of "trades" oriented advertising for post secondary education so things will change eventually.

On a side note, I loved my Prom, I had a gorgeous date, looking facking hot (me not the date, though she was looking good too) had a limo, tux, bottle of gin in a flask in my pocket, we even took pictures of the starting lineup of the football team in their start positions in our tuxes... and I had a great big stupid grin on my face because I knew it was going to be my social peaking point for the next few years.
Yes that's right folks, I fit the stereotypical image of everything that the majority of people here seem to hate!

After highschool the cliques disappear and you get to judge people on their own merits rather than on the group mentality, thankfully I managed fine without it and I'm great friends with most of the people who hated me in highschool (though it's funny they can't remember why) I was never a jock in my head so I just started using my brain again and it worked out...didn't work out so well for others (most of them work at sobeys now HA HA)
So fear not, because in a few years (maybe one year) you'll probably be the boss of someone like me and at the reunion you can make them all feel like knobs when you introduce yourself as Dr._______ or Col. ________ because you didn't buy into the hype of highschool!

And lexi, there is life beyond highschool but don't enter it with a complete frown, it's not as bad as it seems at the time and once it's over you can tell people like me what to do.
Get involved with what you want and rise above the clique nature and you'll do better than you think!

Back