• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Fraser -- looking for interested volunteers

Donaill

Inactive
Reaction score
   I was down Bridgewater way and was able to look at the Frasier.  I realize that it is no longer considered a naval ship, since it has been decomissioned. However I was talking to a volunteer there and there is plenty of paint there and she needs some painting done.
I am not looking for reasons not to do this. I am fully aware of reasons not to, such as lack of interest, lack of money, lack of time and other reasons.

I would be interested, if I could get more bodies to come with me. We can stay on ship and bring our beverage of choice.  I have a contact name and number.  Contact me and if there is enough interest than I will make arrangements. It will not be on Navy time and it is "drive yourself." 

Edited by Vern to correct her name to "Fraser" in the topic title.

I thought it was Fraser and not Frasier.  Thanks for the info.

kincanucks said:
I thought it was Fraser and not Frasier.  Thanks for the info.

It is indeed HMCS FRASER

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9411/fraser/

Are there any RCSCC in that area? Sea Cadets would normally jump at something like this. Chipping, painting and Cleaning Stations would also introduce them to "Life as a Sailor". Throw in a "Store Ship" evolution and they've almost passed their OSUT.

There may be but I am wondering about the insurance side of doing something like that. It is a good idea though.

Donaill said:
There may be but I am wondering about the insurance side of doing something like that. It is a good idea though.

I suspect that the Navy League's insurance would cover something like this.  If you do want to involve sea cadets (an excellent idea, if it can be arranged!) a short conversation with the CO and/or the local Navy League branch president should answer the question.

The 3"50 gun from the decommissioned and dismantled HMCS Fraser was saved and will be placed at HMCS Prevost in London, Ontario. HMCS Fraser was the last survivor of the St. Laurent-class destroyer which were the first Canadian designed and built warships. Plans are to have the gun mounted on the grounds of HMCS Prevost next to the Battle of the Atlantic memorial. It is hoped that it will be in place in time to be dedicated at this year’s Battle of the Atlantic Ceremony on 6 May, 2012. More information at:

https://www.facebook.com/HMCSPrevost

Back