• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Ojibwa sub enroute to London-area museum

Gentlemen/Ladies.....The OJIBWA is NOT UP for Scrap!....See my 16 March post in Navy General re Project OJIBWA.
J. Ziegler,  The ELGIN MILITARY MUSEUM.

J. Ziegler said:
Gentlemen/Ladies.....The OJIBWA is NOT UP for Scrap!....See my 16 March post in Navy General re Project OJIBWA.
J. Ziegler,  The ELGIN MILITARY MUSEUM.
That post's been merged into this unified thread with a new title.

Also, this just out from the CF Info-machine:
The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, has signed an agreement that will allow the Elgin Military Museum in St. Thomas, Ontario, to take possession of one of the Royal Canadian Navy's decommissioned submarines - the former HMCS Ojibwa - for permanent, public display.

HMCS Ojibwa is an Oberon-class submarine, commissioned in 1965 and removed from operational service in 1998. Ojibwa was one of three Oberon-class diesel-electric submarines acquired in the 1960s by the RCN; the others being Onandaga and Okanagan. A fourth Oberon-class submarine, Olympus, was acquired in 1989 to serve as a stationary training vessel in Halifax.

(....)

The museum will fund the physical transfer of the 90-metre Ojibwa from Halifax Harbour, Nova Scotia, to a site at Port Burwell, Ontario, and Ojibwa's establishment as a museum open to the public.

Hello Everyone... Well it is finally "OFFICIAL" .

OJIBWA will be leaving Halifax  in the next week to 10 days to begin her voayage to her Permanent "Land Based"  Station with the Elgin Military Museum in Port Burwell Ontario situated on the North shore of Lake Erie.

All current info can be found at    www.projectojibwa.ca  or thru linking from the Museums website at  www.elginmilitarymuseum.ca 

Any and All support, is greatly appreciated as the Museum has taken on this major project to Honour the Navy and its Vets.

Jim Ziegler

BZ to the Elgin Military Museum and communities of Port Burwell and St. Thomas, ON. The next time I'm lucky enough to be home in southern Ontario and pulling Perch out of the lake, I'll be sure to pay a visit.

Best wishes.

Hello Everyone.    Happy to say OJIBWA is is on the move!  She was loaded Friday and will be commencing the voyage to her  new home Saturday 25 May.  She will lay over in Hamilton for the summer at HEDDLE MARINE as the site work in Port Burwell is completed. While in Hamilton we hope to clean her up so she will arrive "home" looking as she deserves.

Please visit our website... www.elginmilitarymuseum.ca  and view all the latest pictures of her move and updates to the project.

We are honoured to give her a home and to salute our Naval Veterans.

Sweat, skinned knuckles, artifacts or cash donations will all be greatfully accepted to help us make this a Museum you can all be proud of.

HELL!!! I have goose bumps and I was just a dumb-ass infantry grunt. :army:

All the best Jim Ziegler

Having just returned from Australia, where I had the opportunity to visit HMAS Onslow (still in the water) in Sidney at the Australian National Maritime Museum.  I am glad that there is a chance  to see a Canadian example of an Oberon. The Australians seem to have done in right in having an example on both the East and West coasts (HMAS Ovens in Fremantle). I do of course recognize that it is easier to sail around Australia then Canada .

Actually AJF, you don't have to wait.

HMCS ONONDAGA already is a museum that you can visit in Rimouski, Qc.

She has been hauled out of the water (a lot easier and cheaper to preserve) so you can actually enjoy studying all of the hull fittings at leisure. They then cut large side access to her main deck in places where the hull sides did not carry important equipment. It makes access much easier and the visit quite enjoyable. They even have arrangements for overnight sleepovers in the good ol' bunks. As a group, you can arrange "cold warrior" week ends of simulations.

J. Ziegler said:
Hello Everyone.    Happy to say OJIBWA is is on the move!  She was loaded Friday and will be commencing the voyage to her  new home Saturday 25 May.  She will lay over in Hamilton for the summer at HEDDLE MARINE as the site work in Port Burwell is completed. While in Hamilton we hope to clean her up so she will arrive "home" looking as she deserves. 

The work in Hamilton is finished and she is due to set out on her final voyage this week. 

Do you have any idea when she'll be passing through the Welland Canal?

And she arrives:

A7_bNRUCAAAjrxU.jpg

Source: Trident News

The HMCS Ojibwa is nearly home.

Home, for the last of Canada’s Oberon class submarines, is the Elgin Military Museum in Port Burwell, Ontario on the north shore of Lake Erie.

When it was decommissioned from the Royal Canadian Navy in 1998, the vessel was destined to be scrapped, but a movement to save the ship resulted in it becoming the property of the museum. The plan is for the museum to turn the HMCS Ojibwa into a land-based historical artifact located next to the Elgin Military Museum of Naval History—a submarine interpretation centre—and now that plan is entering its final stage.

The sub arrived at the port November 27th. It was originally scheduled to have arrived the week before, but ongoing dredging work at the port proved insufficient to provide clearance for the sub and the barge that carried it from Hamilton, Ontario. With the work complete, and an obstruction (believed to be an old seawall) cleared, the barge and sub were free to dock.

On November 28th, 2012 the sub is to be lifted off the barge and placed into the concrete cradles that will be its permanent home ....
canadianmanufacturing.com, 27 Nov 12
McKeilSub-322-crop.jpg

duncan-macqueen_nighttest-lift-websize_519x346crop-300x200.jpg

mckeilsub-125.jpg

I was finally able to visit this summer. What a great experience! It was a real treat to be able to take the kids aboard, and see some Canadian Maritime history. I look forward to the extended tour next time I'm able. This sailor says BZ to the Elgin Military Museum, what a hidden treasure. Port Burwell is well worth the visit: for OJIBWA; for the beach; and, for the fresh lake fish dinners. Thanks for a great day.

Back