• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Saskatoon - drug use trials

I am surprised that the two females got off with only fines and discharge, especially for trafficking...

While this probably falls into line with the civilian courts, I, and probably most people, tend to think the military is harsher in it's sentencing than civilian system.

airmich said:
former chief petty officer Robert Carlson
And yet you look at the JAG website, they have him listed as PO1 Carlson, not CPO2.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/jag/military_justice/cmartials_and_appeals/default_e.asp
ACCUSED LOCATION
PO1 Carlson CFB Esquimalt, Building 30-N, second floor, Victoria, BC.
Charges
Charge 1: S. 130 NDA, trafficking (s. 5(1) CDSA).
Charge 2: S. 93 NDA, behaved in a disgraceful manner.

If you go back a couple of pages you will find a comment to the effect that the promotion was coming down the pipe, that he actualy started to wear em, but that it was "kayboshed" & rescinded when the feces hit the ventilator.

Court martial of sailor in drug case delayed because of lawyer's conflict

Last Updated: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 | 4:38 PM ET
The Canadian Press

The court martial of a former navy petty officer at a navy base near Victoria was adjourned Wednesday after his military lawyer withdrew over a conflict of interest.

Robert Carlson is charged with drug trafficking and disgraceful behaviour as the officer in charge of discipline and morale aboard the HMCS Saskatoon.

But before the proceedings could begin, his lawyer said he had to withdraw because of a conflict involving another Saskatoon crew member who was to appear as a prosecution witness at Carlson's trial.

Carlson was the most senior of four crew members of the Saskatoon charged after a military police unit launched an undercover sting operation in early 2006.

Two other crew members pleaded guilty and were given suspended sentences and fines, while the third was cleared of one charge and had a second one stayed.

Court martial of sailor in drug case delayed because of lawyer’s conflict

By Scott Sutherland, THE CANADIAN PRESS
Wednesday, October 10, 2007

CFB ESQUIMALT - Navy petty officers packed a small military courtroom where an officer was to be court martialled Wednesday, only to see the trial at the home base of the Pacific fleet adjourned until early next year.

A military official who did not want to be named said the contingent was there to "shame" former Petty Officer 1st Class Robert Carlson of HMCS Saskatoon, charged with trafficking cocaine and disgraceful behaviour under the National Defence Act.

Carlson is one of four Saskatoon crew members charged after a military police undercover sting targeted the small coastal patrol ship in early 2006.

But before the court martial began in front of military Judge Mario Dutil, Carlson’s lawyer withdrew from the case, citing a conflict of interest.

Maj. Edmund Thomas said his office, Defence Counsel Services, had also defended another member of the Saskatoon’s crew in August.

Thomas said he has been notified that the other member will be called as a prosecution witness at Carlson’s court martial.

Even though Thomas said he wasn’t personally involved in the previous case, his office was and privileged communications between lawyer and client could be breached.

Victoria lawyer, Robert Mulligan, hired under contract by the Canadian Forces, then took over as Carlson’s new defence lawyer and asked for an adjournment.

"I would need a few weeks to contemplate a full assessment of the case," Mulligan told the judge.

The court martial was put off until Feb. 5.

Carlson is the last and most senior crew member aboard the warship to face court martial.

Like the other three, he has been released from the Canadian Forces and is now a civilian. The military will not comment on whether the releases were voluntary or mandatory.

Carlson, a blond, heavyset man in his early 30s, wore a black suit and sported unmilitary sideburns and a patch of hair beneath his bottom lip.

His former commanding officer was among the senior ranks attending.

Outside court, Lt. Cmdr. Jeff White said the cocaine scandal had been hard on everyone aboard Saskatoon.

"It’s been two years of trauma," said White, who initiated the drug probe after getting a tip from an outside source in the fall of 2005.

He said when arrests were made after the undercover investigation by the military’s National Investigation Service, the crew was shattered.

"The facts came out like a hammer," he said.

"On a small ship, it’s a family, and when you fracture a family . . . you have to go into crisis-management mode."

White said even though they lost members of the team, the crew pulled together to complete its missions.

He said there was never any indication that drugs were being used on the warship.

"From what I understand, it wasn’t being used on board ship, it was an extracurricular thing that was happening either in foreign ports or in their homes," said the navy officer, who has since been reassigned to another ship.

Earlier this spring, another Saskatoon crew member pleaded guilty to trafficking and a second pleaded guilty to selling a small amount of cocaine to an undercover officer. Both were handed suspended sentences and fined.

In August, a third crew member was found not guilty of trafficking, but guilty of a bad conduct charge.

The Canadian Forces maintains a strict anti-drug policy for all members and all branches of the military.

"The policy is zero tolerance for drugs," said navy Lt. Paul Pendergast.

"It does extend to their off time, it’s included in the zero tolerance."

I've got a few legal questions regarding this latest about the postponement of this court martial, and I hope that someone with knowledge in the area can help me out.

Is there a time limit that a member who has been released can still be charged under the NDA?

How much notice must the defense be given about who the prosecution calls for a witness?  If there had been more notice, would the defense lawyer have been allowed to step down earlier, or is this only done once the court martial has commenced?

And is court that busy that even though the new defense has asked for "a few weeks" that it would be rescheduled for 4 months later?  I guess this leads back to my first question, if there is a time limit, as to what this delay might cost the prosecutor.

1)  You remain liable for any act you committed even after release, but if you're being charged with a criminal offence etc pursuant to the NDA, then the statute of limitation for the non-NDA offence applies.  Since most non-NDA charges are Criminal Code ones, in most cases there is effectively no statute of limitations unless it's a very minor offense.

2)  I'm not sure of a formal time limit.  They are supposed to disclose the witnesses, although there is provision to allow the prosecution to call a witness without notification.  As far as I know, the lawyer can change at any time, they don't have to wait until the court is in session.  Perhaps this happened in order to obtain the adjournment to gain time for the new lawyer?  Seems an awfully expensive course of action to have to take if that is the case.

3)  You only have to be charged to meet the requirements of the statute of limitations, the trial does not have to be completed.  There is the issue of unreasonable delay but in this instance, considering the defence was the one who asked for the delay, I suspect they would be hard pressed to have the charges dismissed due to unreasonable delay unless they were able to prove it was due to some egregious fault of the prosecutor.

Are you worried he is going to walk on a technicality as a result of this adjournment?  If so, he won't.

garb811 said:
Are you worried he is going to walk on a technicality as a result of this adjournment?  If so, he won't.

No, just curious about some of the legal aspects.  Trying to make myself smarter for watching Law&Order. :D  Thank you for the responses.

airmich said:
Is there a time limit that a member who has been released can still be charged under the NDA?
NDA Sec 60. said:
60.  (1) The following persons are subject to the Code of Service Discipline:
(a) an officer or non-commissioned member of the regular force;
(b) an officer or non-commissioned member of the special force;
(c) an officer or non-commissioned member of the reserve force when the officer or non-commissioned member is
(i) undergoing drill or training, whether in uniform or not,
(ii) in uniform,
(iii) on duty,
(iv) [Repealed, 1998, c. 35, s. 19]
(v) called out under Part VI in aid of the civil power,
(vi) called out on service,
(vii) placed on active service,
(viii) in or on any vessel, vehicle or aircraft of the Canadian Forces or in or on any defence establishment or work for defence,
(ix) serving with any unit or other element of the regular force or the special force, or
(x) present, whether in uniform or not, at any drill or training of a unit or other element of the Canadian Forces;
(d) subject to such exceptions, adaptations and modifications as the Governor in Council may by regulations prescribe, a person who, pursuant to law or pursuant to an agreement between Canada and the state in whose armed forces the person is serving, is attached or seconded as an officer or non-commissioned member to the Canadian Forces;
(e) a person, not otherwise subject to the Code of Service Discipline, who is serving in the position of an officer or non-commissioned member of any force raised and maintained outside Canada by Her Majesty in right of Canada and commanded by an officer of the Canadian Forces;
(f) a person, not otherwise subject to the Code of Service Discipline, who accompanies any unit or other element of the Canadian Forces that is on service or active service in any place;
(g) subject to such exceptions, adaptations and modifications as the Governor in Council may by regulations prescribe, a person attending an institution established under section 47;
(h) an alleged spy for the enemy;
(i) a person, not otherwise subject to the Code of Service Discipline, who, in respect of any service offence committed or alleged to have been committed by the person, is in civil custody or in service custody; and
(j) a person, not otherwise subject to the Code of Service Discipline, while serving with the Canadian Forces under an engagement with the Minister whereby the person agreed to be subject to that Code.

Continuing liability
(2) Every person subject to the Code of Service Discipline under subsection (1) at the time of the alleged commission by the person of a service offence continues to be liable to be charged, dealt with and tried in respect of that offence under the Code of Service Discipline notwithstanding that the person may have, since the commission of that offence, ceased to be a person described in subsection (1).

airmich said:
And is court that busy that even though the new defense has asked for "a few weeks" that it would be rescheduled for 4 months later?  I guess this leads back to my first question, if there is a time limit, as to what this delay might cost the prosecutor.

More than likely the delay is due to the availability of the judge; we have a very limited pool of military judges available.

Delays due to the system lacking sufficient resources can sometimes be seen as a mitigating factor in sentencing.  Usually that applies to delays of a year or more (based on my readings of court martial transcripts).

Just for the record, IANAL - and before anyone makes any accusations, it's an abbreviation for "I Am Not A Lawyer".

dapaterson said:
More than likely the delay is due to the availability of the judge; we have a very limited pool of military judges available.

Delays due to the system lacking sufficient resources can sometimes be seen as a mitigating factor in sentencing.  Usually that applies to delays of a year or more (based on my readings of court martial transcripts).

Just for the record, IANAL - and before anyone makes any accusations, it's an abbreviation for "I Am Not A Lawyer".

Whatever the case may be the delay here is unacceptable, both for the accused and for the military as a whole. All this means is that we have to put up with more media coverage in February... it just goes on and on. I'm at the point where I'm torn between two schools of thought:

1) Military justice is neither swift nor effective - let him off because it's been too long and let the media chew on it. Perhaps that'll wake the CF up to the reality that we have a problem or;

2) Throw the book at him, he'll appeal and win due to the time.

Either way we come out of it with egg on our face... I say, let's get the egg happening quickly - drop the charges, it makes the news, boo hoo... we reform the system.

It's that or:

07 Feb - News of trial the next day
08 Feb - News of conviction/dismissal etc etc
09 Feb - Article about the reaction in MARPAC
10 Feb - CBC News special documentary on drug use in the CF
11 Feb - Calls for a public commission into the CF justice system
15 Mar - Commission assigned, Jack Layton as head
15 Mar 09 - Commission will release report in a year (all military courts martial have been on hold for a year)
15 Mar 10 - Report issued, hundreds of courts martial are allowed to proceed only to be dismissed due to the length of time
16 Mar 10 - Article in the Times Colonist reliving SASKATOON - THE DARK DAYS OF DRUG USE IN THE NAVY

Let's just get it over with. Justice hasn't been served in this case... let's put it all out there now and test everyone.

Blargh

***Sorry, just a little frustrated with the whole debacle***

R 041615Z APR 08
FM MARPACHQ ESQUIMALT//J02 ADMIN//
TO MARPACGEN
BT
UNCLAS MARPACGEN 020/08 J02ADM 3010
BILINGUAL MESSAGE / MESSAGE BILINGUE
SUBJ: NOTIFICATION OF TRIAL - STANDING COURT MARTIAL (SCM) - 14 APR 08

1. THE SCM FOR EX-PO1 CARLSON, HMCS SASKATOON, WILL RESUME AT 1000 ON 14
APR 08 IN THE COURTROOM BLDG 30(N) (SECOND FLOOR) CFB ESQUIMALT
2. PO1 CARLSON HAS BEEN CHARGED WITH THE FOLLOWING OFFENCES UNDER THE NATIONAL
DEFENCE ACT (NDA):
A. CHARGE 1 SECTION 130 NDA, TRAFFICKING (S. 5(1) CDSA)
B. CHARGE 2 SECTION 93 NDA, BEHAVED IN A DISGRACEFUL MANNER
3. SPECTATORS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND. MILITARY SPECTATORS ARE TO WEAR
THE DRESS OF THE DAY AND ARE TO BE SEATED BY 0950.
4. THE TRIAL WILL BE CONDUCTED IN ENGLISH PAGE 2 RCWEWLA5038
UNCLAS
END OF ENGLISH TEXT
DRAFTER:  COMMCEN WKR CIV 3-4815
RELEASER: COMMCEN WKR CIV 3-4815
RELEASER ADDR: /DOCKYARD//COMMCEN ESQ//

Interesting.

3. SPECTATORS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND. MILITARY SPECTATORS ARE TO WEAR
THE DRESS OF THE DAY AND ARE TO BE SEATED BY 0950.

Most places I have been the Dress was DEU 3.

3B for participants - spectators dress of the day is fairly common for court martials.

spectators dress of the day is fairly common for court martials.
Since court martials are open to the public, the dress requirements are kept fairly informal so as to not encourage military personnel to avoid spectating.

At least that's who it was explained on my presiding officers course

Court martial reveals surprise military drug test
Updated Thu. Apr. 17 2008 7:57 AM ET

The Canadian Press

CFB ESQUIMALT -- Hundreds of Canadian Navy personnel were targeted with a surprise, mandatory drug test at the home of the Pacific fleet in December but the results have not been released.

The revelation came Wednesday at the cocaine-related court martial of a former petty officer, caught up in an undercover military "sting" operation in late 2005 and early 2006 that focused on crew members of HMCS Saskatoon at Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt.

The court martial heard of the base's efforts to combat drug and alcohol abuse.

The massive "blind test" was conducted as a new component of the Canadian Forces drug enforcement policy, according to a base spokesman.

"There were several units tested. . . a team goes in and the whole unit, all members of the unit, are tested," said Navy Lt. Paul Pendergast. "That would have involved several hundred people."

He said buildings and ships at the base, near Victoria, B.C., were involved.

"It's urine testing. All exits would be blocked and the team would go in and before anyone can leave, all members would be tested."

Pendergast said the testing for the use of marijuana, cocaine and several other drugs was anonymous and no names were attached to the samples taken.

The purpose is to give Navy leadership what he called a "snapshot of drug use in a unit."

But he was in the dark about the results.

"I am not privy to the reason why the results have not been released," he said.

Lt. Pendergast's comments followed the first full day of proceedings at the long-delayed court martial of former Petty Officer 1st Class Christopher Carlson, the warship's coxswain, and one of four Saskatoon crew members to be charged in an undercover operation involving the military's National Investigative Service.

Charges under the National Defence Act of trafficking and disgraceful behaviour were dropped Wednesday, replaced with a lesser charge of conduct prejudicial to good order and discipline.

Carlson immediately pleaded guilty, which was accepted by the court.

Following Carlson's guilty plea, the court martial heard the base was trying to tackle problems of alcohol abuse and increasing drug use.

"The incidence of alcohol abuse was higher in the past than at present," testified Chief Petty Officer Paul Helston, who added that abuse of "hard drugs" appeared to be on the rise.

Documents put into evidence revealed that since 2004, 39 drug related summary convictions had been won against 27 members of the Canadian Forces at CFB Esquimalt, 11 involving marijuana and 16 involving cocaine.

There have also been five drug-related convictions obtained at courts martial.

Pendergast said 36 members from the Esquimalt base had been sent to "residential treatment in the last year," but he could not be specific about how many were being treated for alcoholism and how many for drug problems.

Cmdr. Craig Baines, the current commanding officer of the frigate HMCS Winnipeg who spent more than two years aboard the smaller Saskatoon, said as coxswain of the 55-metre warship Carlson's responsibilities were discipline, morale and ethics.

He said it was considered a law-and-order position aboard

"We consider the coxswain as the sheriff, he lays the charges. If he is breaking the rules, then there are no rules," said Baines

Carlson's former commanding officer on Saskatoon, Lt.-Cmdr. Jeffrey White, spoke highly of his former coxswain before becoming aware of the drug issue involving his crew.

"He performed very well," he testified. "At the time I was impressed, and he knew it".

In fact, White testified he had no suspicions about Carlson or any other member of the crew until he was approached by a senior officer with a tip.

White testified the National Investigative Service put a female undercover operative aboard Saskatoon in the role of a clerk as part of a sting operation, adding that everyone involved felt a woman would fit in more smoothly and be more easily invited to parties.

Carlson was released by the military and faced the court martial before the Canadian Forces chief military judge, Col. Mario Dutil, as a civilian.

Pendergast said punishment and penalties for the new charge can include the possibility of a permanent "dismissal with disgrace from Her Majesty's service."

Last August a second former crew member from HMCS Saskatoon had his trafficking charge dropped in return for a plea of guilty of bad conduct.

In the spring of 2007, a third crew member pleaded guilty to trafficking and the fourth pleaded guilty to selling a small amount of cocaine to an undercover officer.

Both were handed suspended sentences and fined.

© 2008 CTVGlobemedia  All Rights Reserved.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080417/military_drugtest_080417/20080417?hub=Canada

dileas

tess

Court martial reveals surprise military drug test

CFB ESQUIMALT -- Hundreds of Canadian Navy personnel were targeted with a surprise, mandatory drug test at the home of the Pacific fleet in December
but the results have not been released.

The revelation came Wednesday at the cocaine-related court martial of a former petty officer, caught up in an undercover military "sting" operation in late 2005 and
early 2006 that focused on crew members of HMCS Saskatoon at Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt. The court martial heard of the base's efforts to combat drug and
alcohol abuse.

The massive "blind test" was conducted as a new component of the Canadian Forces drug enforcement policy, according to a base spokesman. "There were several
units tested. . . a team goes in and the whole unit, all members of the unit, are tested," said Navy Lt. Paul Pendergast. "That would have involved several hundred people."
He said buildings and ships at the base, near Victoria, B.C., were involved. "It's urine testing. All exits would be blocked and the team would go in and before anyone can
leave, all members would be tested."

Pendergast said the testing for the use of marijuana, cocaine and several other drugs was anonymous and no names were attached to the samples taken. The purpose is
to give Navy leadership what he called a "snapshot of drug use in a unit."

But he was in the dark about the results. "I am not privy to the reason why the results have not been released," he said.

Lt. Pendergast's comments followed the first full day of proceedings at the long-delayed court martial of former Petty Officer 1st Class Christopher Carlson, the warship's
coxswain, and one of four Saskatoon crew members to be charged in an undercover operation involving the military's National Investigative Service.

Charges under the National Defence Act of trafficking and disgraceful behaviour were dropped Wednesday, replaced with a lesser charge of conduct prejudicial to good
order and discipline. Carlson immediately pleaded guilty, which was accepted by the court.

Following Carlson's guilty plea, the court martial heard the base was trying to tackle problems of alcohol abuse and increasing drug use. "The incidence of alcohol abuse
was higher in the past than at present," testified Chief Petty Officer Paul Helston, who added that abuse of "hard drugs" appeared to be on the rise.

Documents put into evidence revealed that since 2004, 39 drug related summary convictions had been won against 27 members of the Canadian Forces at CFB
Esquimalt, 11 involving marijuana and 16 involving cocaine. There have also been five drug-related convictions obtained at courts martial.

Pendergast said 36 members from the Esquimalt base had been sent to "residential treatment in the last year," but he could not be specific about how many were being
treated for alcoholism and how many for drug problems.

Cmdr. Craig Baines, the current commanding officer of the frigate HMCS Winnipeg who spent more than two years aboard the smaller Saskatoon, said as coxswain of
the 55-metre warship Carlson's responsibilities were discipline, morale and ethics. He said it was considered a law-and-order position aboard. "We consider the
coxswain as the sheriff, he lays the charges. If he is breaking the rules, then there are no rules," said Baines

Carlson's former commanding officer on Saskatoon, Lt.-Cmdr. Jeffrey White, spoke highly of his former coxswain before becoming aware of the drug issue involving his
crew. "He performed very well," he testified. "At the time I was impressed, and he knew it". In fact, White testified he had no suspicions about Carlson or any other
member of the crew until he was approached by a senior officer with a tip. White testified the National Investigative Service put a female undercover operative aboard
Saskatoon in the role of a clerk as part of a sting operation, adding that everyone involved felt a woman would fit in more smoothly and be more easily invited to parties.

Carlson was released by the military and faced the court martial before the Canadian Forces chief military judge, Col. Mario Dutil, as a civilian. Pendergast said punishment
and penalties for the new charge can include the possibility of a permanent "dismissal with disgrace from Her Majesty's service."

Last August a second former crew member from HMCS Saskatoon had his trafficking charge dropped in return for a plea of guilty of bad conduct. In the spring of 2007, a
third crew member pleaded guilty to trafficking and the fourth pleaded guilty to selling a small amount of cocaine to an undercover officer.

Both were handed suspended sentences and fined.

Re: the surprise urine tests, AFAIK, this also happened to one of the ships on the East Coast in early 2008 as well, in the same type fashion.  Team went on, no one left, everyone got to take a bathroom break.  And when I say AFAIK, I was told it by a member of the ships company and was done IAW the new drug enforcement policy.  Why is it news that the CF is doing this, unless it is being colored as positive news?

IMO this is the media trying to make apples into oranges.

Blind testing happened in the early 90s as well when the current policy was first implemented.  I had to line up and provide.  There was plenty of media attention about the process at that time as well.

Back