• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Ville De Quebec - 67 year old navy frigate is coming to Oshawa (!)

A friend who will be serving on the VdQ for the promotion tour looking into the possibility having my derby team come visit it when it in Montreal for a team photo shoot.

Hi Pat.
I did actually get in touch with MARS and he is going to see what he can do to get us a dedicated time slot for a tour. I have since told my entire extended family about the ship coming and even if we do not get a personal tour, we are still going to take advantage of the public tours. Everyone is so excited about this event, and I know the first thing I'll do when I see the ship is to take a good hard look at the deck guns, cause that was Papa's station. Thanks again for your post about the post war history of the original VDQ!
Scott Brewer

Pat in Halifax said:
Brewerscottd:
Just wondering if you thought to send a PM to MARS (he is the Liaison Officer in Oshawa and Toronto). Your story puts you at near celebrity status and may even warrant an invite for a day sail for you and some of your family. I am sure if you touch base too with the "Oshawa Naval Vets Club" with your story, they already likely have some invites and may pass some on. All I can say is that if I were sailing with VDQ, I would be seeing you in Oshawa!!
Good Luck!!

Like Messmom, I commissioned her... the frigate that is. After the ceremony, this middle aged woman and her family came up to a group of us on the jetty and gave a whole bunch of newspaper clippings and showed pictures of her dad when he was on the corvette VDQ. Turned out he was the EOOW when she attacked and sunk a german sub (they rammed it). Maybe your grandfather was there. We brought her up to the XO who whisked her and her family up to the Wardroom for a special tour and took them to the reception.

You need to get onboard for a tour. You will eat this up (bring a box of kleenex). The media will love you. The port cabin flats has an old jack that was flown on the corvette during battle. There is a painting (can't remember by whom) that depicts the corvette ramming the sub (used to be just outside sickbay). Hopefully MARS will get you some quality time onboard. Best of luck.

Is anybody planning on visiting HMCS Ville de Quebec while she is in Toronto? Since it is the long weekend the water front might be packed. I am thinking of waiting until she visits Oshawa.

Larkvall said:
Is anybody planning on visiting HMCS Ville de Quebec while she is in Toronto? Since it is the long weekend the water front might be packed. I am thinking of waiting until she visits Oshawa.

As a matter of fact, a few of us NCM SEP's have been invited to take a day sail of lake Ontario and have the pleasure to watch the Canadian air show from the lake. Im so excited, I just can't wait!! We are scheduled for Saturday Sept. 5, which is tomorrow. Anybody else on here going other than myself?

There was two good items in the news the past couple of days about the ship's visit.

CTV.ca, and TheStar.com

As the current frigate HMCS Ville de Québec (FFH 332) retained the exact name of HMCS Ville de Québec (K 242), did the Battle Honours perpetuate?  The DHH information regarding Canadian naval lineage and perpetuation would seem to indicate this is the case.  Also, is the HMCS VdQ (K 242) the actual ship that entered mercantile service after 1942, and if so, what happened to the ship after 1952, where she was last named as the Medex on the Lloyd's Registry?

An interesting story, for sure. 

kratz said:
There was two good items in the news the past couple of days about the ship's visit.

CTV.ca, and TheStar.com

Thanks for the great links Kratz.  I went out on her on Friday.  It is a very impressive ship with a very friendly and knowledgeable crew.  Had a great time and I would think that this GLD will influence a number of people to join.

Good2Golf:
In answer to your query re Battle Honours: simply - Yes, Battle Honours are carried over to subsequently 'same named' vessels.
If you look back to a post made by me 17 Aug, you will see K242 entered mercantile service in 1946 (vice 1942). Generally, the 'accepted' rule is that once off LR, a vessel is considered scrapped. Had the original VDQ survived, I suspect she would have been found in the early 80s when the CNMT was searching for a corvette. Two likely candidates were destroyed in Honduras (I believe) in the early 80s which left only one (which was 'severely modofied): HMCS SACKVILLE - The last "Flower' anywhere.

My grandfather was indeed on the ship when they rammed and sunk that german sub. His station was at the main deck guns, and he talked frequently about this story. I just received a press release from my Grandmother from the company that built the VDQ... I'm going to PDF it and send out to my family....

Look forward to seeing the ship next week!!

quote author=RumRunner link=topic=86963/post-871464#msg871464 date=1251766736]
Like Messmom, I commissioned her... the frigate that is. After the ceremony, this middle aged woman and her family came up to a group of us on the jetty and gave a whole bunch of newspaper clippings and showed pictures of her dad when he was on the corvette VDQ. Turned out he was the EOOW when she attacked and sunk a german sub (they rammed it). Maybe your grandfather was there. We brought her up to the XO who whisked her and her family up to the Wardroom for a special tour and took them to the reception.

You need to get onboard for a tour. You will eat this up (bring a box of kleenex). The media will love you. The port cabin flats has an old jack that was flown on the corvette during battle. There is a painting (can't remember by whom) that depicts the corvette ramming the sub (used to be just outside sickbay). Hopefully MARS will get you some quality time onboard. Best of luck.
[/quote]

Pat in Halifax said:
Good2Golf:
In answer to your query re Battle Honours: simply - Yes, Battle Honours are carried over to subsequently 'same named' vessels.
If you look back to a post made by me 17 Aug, you will see K242 entered mercantile service in 1946 (vice 1942). Generally, the 'accepted' rule is that once off LR, a vessel is considered scrapped. Had the original VDQ survived, I suspect she would have been found in the early 80s when the CNMT was searching for a corvette. Two likely candidates were destroyed in Honduras (I believe) in the early 80s which left only one (which was 'severely modofied): HMCS SACKVILLE - The last "Flower' anywhere.

Pat, ack the 46...knew that, but must have typed 42 thinking about the 52 of last registry.

I'm a bit slow to catch on, but now realize that it was the original crap reporting that led me to believe that somehow they had found another Flower, other than K 181 HMCS Sackville, and had perhaps somehow recommissioned it at VDQ (K 262).  I see the Oshawa Express still has not corrected their article's detail about VDQ FFH 332.  ???

Regards
G2G

I have just come back from Oshawa. HMCS Ville de Quebec is there now!

Back