• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Ville de Québec Tour and Day Sail

Cabral

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else on here is doing the Tour of the HMCS Ville de Québec in Sarnia on September 10th and/or the Day Sail from Sarnia to Windsor on the 11th. I am also staying overnight on the ship is anyone else doing that as well?

Adam Cabral

hey there, my name is jay finlayson, im doing the overnight stay and day sail there in sarnia, i recognized your name from the names on the email sent from ocdt homer today.  Ive applied as a MARS officer and am merit listed hoping to get BMOQ in january.  What have you applied for?

Oh nice, I applied for Naval Weapons Technician, I just got a medical sheet signed by my doctor today so just gotta hand that bad boy in and wait to be merit listed. I expect it to be sooner than later because they have been rushing me through the entire process thus far. I'm thinking BMQ sometime in October(fingers crossed). I'll be sure to look for you on the day of the Tour.

Adam Cabral

I'l be going to the one in Toronto on the 6th and 7th of September, I just found out about it today when I visited the forces.ca website.
It's going to be at the port at the end of Young street I beleive.
I'v bean "debt stopped" so I think I might go for something in the Navy instead of Infantry(army) like I originaly had planned.
It will be te perfect opportunity to ask about the jobs and trades that are available to me.

well cabral im not easy to miss, im 6'3 with a dark beard and hair... and sarah homer said we will be taking a van down which probably means there arent too many of us. Yes the navy has had a terrible time getting recruits, especially in the skilled trades on a ship, weapons tech being one of them. there was actually a column in todays paper about it.  As for me its been a while since anything is happened... the selection process for an officer is much longer, but will hopefully end soon so i can get a start on the 30 months or so of training before actually receiving my commision, good luck with everything and we'll see you in a few weeks!!!

Cabral said:
I was wondering if anyone else on here is doing the Tour of the HMCS Ville de Québec in Sarnia on September 10th and/or the Day Sail from Sarnia to Windsor on the 11th. I am also staying overnight on the ship is anyone else doing that as well?

Adam Cabral
Oh they actually let you stay overnight, that's pretty cool and a neat way to get a bit of the Navy experience. I wish I was in Ontario when the it was coming by, I'd really like to see the inside of a warship (in more than just pictures) and find out a bit more about the Navy. I'm 8 months away from graduating University so will need to make some choices on my future soon. Anyone know if they ever offer tours on the west coast?

well if you're on the west coast you must be near esquimalt, the west coast base is there, get in touch with your local recruiting centre and ask about some tours

DIESEL 007 said:
well if you're on the west coast you must be near esquimalt, the west coast base is there, get in touch with your local recruiting centre and ask about some tours
Well I normally live in Ontario and if I apply it will be through the Kitchener or Thunder Bay recruiting center (depending where I am at the time). However, for the next 4 months I'm going to be living in Seattle, and it's not hard to get to Victoria from there.  So I figured if there were tours, day sails or anything like that that were offered it would be a good time to take advantage since I'd be so close.  Maybe once it's a bit closer to a date I'd be available, I'll send an e-mail to the Victoria recruiting center to see if they know of anything: can't hurt. But if anyone has any links or knows of any regular tours or that sort of thing, let me know.

VDQ left Wednesday afternoon for her little jaunt on the Great Lakes. For all of those who are sailing, be sure you befriend the Cooks (for the lower-deckers) and the Stewarts (for the officers). THey will make your trip so much more enjoyable.

If anyone is interested, don't be afraid to ask questions to the crew about their respective trades. They all may be a bit bias about which is the best trade in the Navy, but you can find out a lot more that way than watch a recruiting video.

For those who can't make it onboard for the trips but still want to visit the inside, go up to the Quatermaster when she is alongside. He'll try to get a crew member to give you a tour.

For those of you doing an overnight stay, make sure to bring your own toiletries and such.  Bring your own towel, soap, flip flops, etc.  Many of the guests on the first one arrived without, expecting the ship to provide.

What do you have to do to get on the overnight stay? Do you have to make preparations beforehand?

When my recruiter called me she asked if I was interested in the overnight stay as well, I said yes. So ask your recruiter about the overnight stay I'm sure they will set you up if there are spaces available.

I just got off the phone with a SLt at the Toronto CFRC, and s/he said that they weren't doing overnight stays on the Toronto leg of the journey, but are doing private tours.

I was quite pleased to see that the HMCS VDQ sent a group of sailors to man a bridge for one of our fallen.  (Today's Maple Leaf.)

Well done.

NS

Back