• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Winnipeg's been hit by a fishing trawler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXVZq98cUgA

Foul language warning...

There,'s a good photo of its bow at the bottom of the page
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=368272000

Stacked:

Was Dynasty under power or under tow?

WINs new CERA (ooops, verboten)...........i mean Chief Eng is new to frigates after many years in God's own class (IROs).  Nothing like a trial by fire  >:D

The somewhat enhanced video at this link shows the entire ship moved quite a bit.  There's not only going to be damage where the direct contact took place between the two ships, but I'd be willing to bet they're examining for ship/jetty contact damage on the opposite side of the ship as well. 

Stacked said:
It happened at approx 08:03.  The crew of the Winnipeg was on mandatory PT, which is why there were so little injuries.

I've seen the damage up close and it looks quite extensive...

Further proof that regular PT reduces injuries!

Stacked said:
Winnipeg moved about 20 feet, the shore power cables were ripped completely out.  It smashed into the jetty HARD.  5-6 punctures in the hull.  Jetty is damaged as well.

When those shore cables were ripped out people could of been killed,  hopefully the shore breakers tripped.  That's 450V power, that is scary.  You are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage to WIN.

I suspect the water came from a bulbous bow on the fishboat, the pressure wave in front of the bow had to go somewhere and it likely went up when it meet the hull of HMCS Winnipeg.

riggermade said:
I'm surprised CBC hasn't twisted the stiry to blame HMCS WInnipeg

Or contrived the fact that this is supposed to happen to each vessel when it's returned just so it has to go back into refit to lengthen the govenrment contract...which actually wouldn't surprise me having seen some of the stuff that went on during the VIC refit.

New conspiracy theory anyone?  ;D

MM

riggermade said:
I'm surprised CBC hasn't twisted the stiry to blame HMCS WInnipeg

Oh but they did, the first radio bit regarding the incident I heard, said HMCS Winnipeg colided with an American fishing trawler in the Straits. This caused me to think the vessels were under way and HMCS Winnipeg hit the trawler. It was just a short announcement but without any detail eg Winnipeg being tied up in harbour.  I consider this a misleading and very sloppy reporting and use of the English language.

Sloppy very sloppy,  CBC

Back