• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMNZS Manawanui has Sunk!

Just watching "Whats up with shipping": about this, Perhaps we can offer to lease a AOP's to them?

A pair of lightly used MCDVs might also be welcomed…

I can see it now ;)

episode 11 used car GIF

Nicely put into context...

The Defence Minister praised a decision to evacuate the ship, which she again reiterated when asked if she had created the impression of being overly protective of the crew.

"If people had not been evacuated, when they were, we could have been bringing home some body bags," she told Q+A.

"What I said to the Prime Minister is, 'We could've had 75 body bags coming off that flight, and I am just so grateful nobody died. I am devastated by the loss of a ship, but I don't know that I could've coped with 75 body bags."

Nicely put into context...

The Defence Minister praised a decision to evacuate the ship, which she again reiterated when asked if she had created the impression of being overly protective of the crew.

"If people had not been evacuated, when they were, we could have been bringing home some body bags," she told Q+A.

"What I said to the Prime Minister is, 'We could've had 75 body bags coming off that flight, and I am just so grateful nobody died. I am devastated by the loss of a ship, but I don't know that I could've coped with 75 body bags."

From the same article; sounds familiar.

The Defence Minister said she believed New Zealand's capability gap within its military was now "very significant", adding that defence staff were "experts at making old stuff move".

She said: "If I look at the kit, everything we get is old. Even the Manawanui, which I saw some commentators saying it was a new ship. Well, it was 15 years old when it was bought. It was never a warship. It didn't have the redundancies that a warship would have.

"The Boeings were bought when they were 10 years old - they're now 23 years old. We always seem to buy old, and we wonder why they break down. The Boeings have, to be frank, I don't want to jinx anything, you know, in this the last few months, they've been very active and they've been, fingers crossed, really good.
The ship ran aground, caught fire, and sunk. People thinking the CO was too soft for evacuating in that situation are idiots, and they probably wouldn't even had 75 body bags as a lot of them would have been trapped in a wreckage if they had waited to evacuate later. When the ship starts to heel over that far or you get flooding holding doors shut people get trapped.

Not critical of the decision to evacuate, but more interested in the decisions leading to her stranding and sinking.
Which is completely fair, I think it was the suggestion that it was because the CO was a woman was dumb.

No one said much about the CO of the Helge Ingstad deciding to evacuate, even though they could have saved the ship if they had done the flood control differently. The various investigation reports from Norway was pretty clear that they were taking it as lessons learned for future events, not criticizing the decision, which you can always second guess an pick apart when not in the moment.

Similarly interested in the same, and what kind of damage they took to sink like that, but glad everyone made it off safely.

Not critical of the decision to evacuate, but more interested in the decisions leading to her stranding and sinking.
As am I.
Which is completely fair, I think it was the suggestion that it was because the CO was a woman was dumb.
One of the stupidest suggestions along with this theme I've seen: The captain is a lesbian and that is why this ship sank. Completely and utterly irrelevant.

As am I.

One of the stupidest suggestions along with this theme I've seen: The captain is a lesbian and that is why this ship sank. Completely and utterly irrelevant.
Loose lips sink ….. something something …

No one said much about the CO of the Helge Ingstad deciding to evacuate, even though they could have saved the ship if they had done the flood control differently. The various investigation reports from Norway was pretty clear that they were taking it as lessons learned for future events, not criticizing the decision, which you can always second guess an pick apart when not in the moment.

Similarly interested in the same, and what kind of damage they took to sink like that, but glad everyone made it off safely.
Weather, poor judgement and possibly mechanical issues led to the Loss of the NZ ship. The Helge Ingstad was lost do mostly to poor judgement and procedures. Weather was not much of a factor.

Weather, poor judgement and possibly mechanical issues led to the Loss of the NZ ship. The Helge Ingstad was lost do mostly to poor judgement and procedures. Weather was not much of a factor.
There was also some design issues with the way the hollow shaft was built that they fixed in other ships in the class by adding a blank flange at some of the connection points so it wasn't a giant penetration that allowed progressive flooding through some of the access ports. I think that came up in some possible discussions of lawsuits against the class society for signing off on the design for the shaft.

Back