• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hockey Canada in the Government Crosshairs

Spencer100

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Liberal have put Hockey Canada in the spot light

As I am not to believe the Liberals at face value. To me this smells like an agenda driven witch hunt. Yes sure mistakes and out right abuse may have happened. I'm sure the courts and the organization can a dress the issues. This is the federal gov pile on.

This gets Trudeau off the front pages. It targets a part of the society that is politically not aligned with the progressive agenda. Liberals are never stopping. Hockey is one last baston of old Canada.

... mistakes and out right abuse may have happened. I'm sure the courts and the organization can a dress the issues ...
Team Red has not made itself look trustworthy in all sorts of ways, for sure, but the same rationale above could be applied to a lot of groups, with varying levels of effectiveness in dealing with the problem.
... Hockey is one last baston of old Canada.
Maybe, but what some would consider other "bastions of old Canada" (like churches) have made & continue to make mistakes.

Also, it comes down to how much you trust the institution to fix its own mistakes. Sounds like you think the organization will get it sorted. Other people's mileage may vary considerably. Under the Charter, all are presumed innocent until convicted via due process, but try Googling names like "Graham James," "Bernie Lynch, "Brad Aldrich," "Robert Donald Joseph Dawson" or "Kelvin Cheuk-Ho Lee" with the terms "hockey" & "abuse" to see how some players may have, to copy a phrase, experienced this bastion of old Canada differently.

I don't think it's any coincidence they drummed out Grapes when they did.

He was popular, outspoken, not politically correct, and had a large platform. All things the progressive left abhor in their rivals. I think he would have had a lot to say over the last few years.

Team Red has not made itself look trustworthy in all sorts of ways, for sure, but the same rationale above could be applied to a lot of groups, with varying levels of effectiveness in dealing with the problem.

Maybe, but what some would consider other "bastions of old Canada" (like churches) have made & continue to make mistakes.

Also, it comes down to how much you trust the institution to fix its own mistakes. Sounds like you think the organization will get it sorted. Other people's mileage may vary considerably. Under the Charter, all are presumed innocent until convicted via due process, but try Googling names like "Graham James," "Bernie Lynch, "Brad Aldrich," "Robert Donald Joseph Dawson" or "Kelvin Cheuk-Ho Lee" with the terms "hockey" & "abuse" to see how some players may have, to copy a phrase, experienced this bastion of old Canada differently.
Yup and they systematically riding Canada of churches (they are good at doing that to themselves too) Churches were a large impediment to the larger goals. But really this is a political move against something in the other camp. I also believe the many other orgs are targeted this way because it works. At a minimum training and reeducation course are implemented. Which will increase costs and decrease effectiveness. As I have posted on an other thread they never stop.

So you're going after the federal government, for suspending funding, to an organization that (in some cases) enabled sexual predators and didn't protect kids from said predators? :unsure:

I think you have that wrong. Hockey Canada put itself in the spotlight. Hockey Canada is such a screwed-up institution that the Liberals are forced to suspend their funding until they unscrew themselves. Frankly, I'm surprised that their private doners haven't run for the hills yet. Do you think Scotiabank wants to be associated with that?

So you're going after the federal government, for suspending funding, to an organization that (in some cases) enabled sexual predators and didn't protect kids from said predators? :unsure:

I think you have that wrong. Hockey Canada put itself in the spotlight. Hockey Canada is such a screwed-up institution that the Liberals are forced to suspend their funding until they unscrew themselves. Frankly, I'm surprised that their private doners haven't run for the hills yet. Do you think Scotiabank wants to be associated with that?
I will agree with you here - Hockey Canada did this to itself.

Maybe its time an outsider took the reins and cleaned house - without going overboard - and gain the trust of Canadians again..

I have a grandson who is skilled - I am worried about coaches and staff being predators.

ADDING : as for Scotiabank they can be a big help with "sort yourselves out. You have six months (or a reasonable time frame) or we - Scotiabank are out"

Ok fair enough. But it still stinks to me.

"St-Onge said in an interview that millions of dollars in federal funding to Hockey Canada is being cut off until the organization signs up with newly created Office of the Sport Integrity Commissioner -- which was created to ensure independent investigation of abuse allegations.

She also was quoted as saying in that interview that Hockey Canada must meet additional requirements before funding will be restored."

Its a power grab of the institutions. Why does the federal government even have this office? why do we have Sports Canada?

Ok fair enough. But it still stinks to me.

"St-Onge said in an interview that millions of dollars in federal funding to Hockey Canada is being cut off until the organization signs up with newly created Office of the Sport Integrity Commissioner -- which was created to ensure independent investigation of abuse allegations.

She also was quoted as saying in that interview that Hockey Canada must meet additional requirements before funding will be restored."

Its a power grab of the institutions. Why does the federal government even have this office? why do we have Sports Canada?
Power over what exactly?

Power over what exactly?
Office of Sports Integrity sounds pretty much like a power grab. So every governing sports body now has a boss to report too. I feels like an over reach. But I am not a centralized power guy. We have had sport governing bodies for over a 100 years I don't think its a role for the federal government.

Yes bad things have happened. And look the law and the courts are dealing with the cases.

Have you seen the layers of stuff you have do today to be on the bench of your son's team? Every player has to have a course in sexual and respect. Every parent has to take a course. (its terribly presented but still) I don't think anymore oversight will change any outcomes. Its a way to have control plain and simple.

ADDING : as for Scotiabank they can be a big help with "sort yourselves out. You have six months (or a reasonable time frame) or we - Scotiabank are out"
VERY good point - if more sponsors did that, I suspect more could happen more quickly, given how "money talks," especially in an organization that reportedly pulls in more than 1 out of every 4 bucks of its budget through sponsorships.
HockeyCanadaFundingSources.JPG
If you don't want government money, you can avoid their funding requirements. It's not hard.
Another good point. If we believe sportsnet.ca, feds contribute 6% of Hockey Canada's budget. Wanna be free of the yoke of government's demands? Hockey Canada can find 6% in their organization to live without while sorting out sexual abuse allegations as it sees fit.
... "St-Onge said in an interview that millions of dollars in federal funding to Hockey Canada is being cut off until the organization signs up with newly created Office of the Sport Integrity Commissioner -- which was created to ensure independent investigation of abuse allegations.

She also was quoted as saying in that interview that Hockey Canada must meet additional requirements before funding will be restored." ...
Here's what else is being asked for ...
... Hockey Canada will also have to make public the report and recommendations it received from Toronto law firm Henein Hutchison LLP, which did the initial external probe of the allegations, along with its plan to change the "culture of silence" in the organization ...
Given how much people complain (rightly so) about the transparency of all sorts of institutions, that doesn't seem unreasonable if Canada pumps in ~$7.8 milliion/year - especially given the ... broadness of answers when asked about the issue ...
... During question period on Tuesday, St-Onge had said she was "not satisfied" with the testimony from Hockey Canada top leaders the previous day at the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage.

Scott Smith, president of the organization, had been asked by Liberal MP Anthony Housefather how many other allegations of sexual assault Hockey Canada has received over the past decade.

In response, Smith said they have received one to two allegations of sexual assault per year for the past five or six years, which would cover the period extending back to 2016 or 2017.

Smith and Tom Renney, outgoing CEO of the organization, also said that players had not been required to participate in the Henein Hutchison probe into the allegation.

Neither could give a definitive answer as to how many members participated ...

Last edited:

As I am not to believe the Liberals at face value. To me this smells like an agenda driven witch hunt. Yes sure mistakes and out right abuse may have happened. I'm sure the courts and the organization can a dress the issues. This is the federal gov pile on.

This gets Trudeau off the front pages. It targets a part of the society that is politically not aligned with the progressive agenda. Liberals are never stopping. Hockey is one last baston of old Canada.

My two brothers were both on full rides hockey at NCAA schools in the US, and they played Junior hockey in Ontario. Not to mention the rep teams ect ect growing up.

Hockey has serious problems. And it has to do with behavior and sense of entitlement by players and coaches. And this includes sexual activity.

It's no different thank Football in the US, Rugby in NZ and soccer all over the world. And pretty similar to our vaunted senior leadership.

Good on the Liberal gov for trying to force Hockey Canada's hand and get them to take action. No organization should hide or shelter abusers be they sexual or otherwise. We need to weed the garden folks.

*PS: My two brothers have refused to put on skates since university hockey ended for them.

**PPS: I detest the sport of hockey with every inch of my being. I hope to wake up one morning and the sport is dead and gone, never to return. Self bias admitted.

Office of Sports Integrity sounds pretty much like a power grab. So every governing sports body now has a boss to report too. I feels like an over reach. But I am not a centralized power guy. We have had sport governing bodies for over a 100 years I don't think its a role for the federal government.

Yes bad things have happened. And look the law and the courts are dealing with the cases.

Have you seen the layers of stuff you have do today to be on the bench of your son's team? Every player has to have a course in sexual and respect. Every parent has to take a course. (its terribly presented but still) I don't think anymore oversight will change any outcomes. Its a way to have control plain and simple.
Again, power over what? I doubt the government needs or wants any power over Hockey Canada.

Sadly, it can happen anyplace where someone is in a position of authority over someone else - sounds like hockey at many levels isn't immune :(

JT does not like hockey, because they don't allow elbowing your opponent

So, we’re talking about young Canadians getting sexually assaulted/raped this exercise is about inclusivity?
Do you put scoring political points and votes on the backs of victims past our government?

I certainly don't.

That said, personally I think this is a great move by the Liberal government. I feel like a hell of a lot more should have been done to address this, but this is a good start.