• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hockey Canada in the Government Crosshairs

And Bank of Nova Scotia has pulled funding.
Not just them, either ...
Corporate heavyweights Restaurant Brands International Inc.’s Tim Hortons, Bank of Nova Scotia, Telus Corp., and Canadian Tire Corp. ended sponsorship deals with Hockey Canada in response to the governing body’s handling of sexual assault allegations involving a group of teenaged players and a lone woman in 2018 ...
Sounds like the corporate sponsors are taking a second look, with some of them still funding a few elements that are helping kids. Good for them for putting their money where their mouths are while, at the same time, giving the organization a chance to improve its protections.

Some of the latest (and on the self-coverage fund, a lot of companies and organizations - even governments - keep pots of money in reserve for payouts instead of carrying insurance and the like, but I have no idea how dues-paying folks would feel about membership fees going into such a thing) ....

Hockey Canada is well on its way, through their "elite" programs to destroying the actual strength of the sport, which is its minor associations and local volunteers who have nothing to do with elite programs.

It's making the exact same mistakes organizations like Rugby Canada have made, with predictably disastrous results.

What is it with Canadian Sports bodies being cesspits of nepotistic and bureaucratic waste. The worst part is they don't even produce actual results!

It's making the exact same mistakes organizations like Rugby Canada have made, with predictably disastrous results.

Rugby Canada and BC Rugby have essentially killed international men's rugby for Canada. Its probably never coming back as an RWC nation.

One bright light, at least on the right coast, is our youth programs are bursting with kids. At Halifax Tars, my club, we have roughly 105 JR rugby players registered and turning up for training.

Rugby Canada and BC Rugby have essentially killed international men's rugby for Canada. Its probably never coming back as an RWC nation.
Yep and we aren't producing any top tier talent anymore. It amazes me that as little as 7 or 8 years ago we had 25+ Canadians playing professional rugby in Europe and elsewhere with a number of Canadians in the top tiers of Europe.

The "elite" rugby programs of Canada have killed the club game and also the development pathways as they used to exist.

One bright light, at least on the right coast, is our youth programs are bursting with kids. At Halifax Tars, my club, we have roughly 105 JR rugby players registered and turning up for training.
I noticed a lot of kids signing up for flag rugby and juniors but the programs were so poorly organized that many didn't continue. There is a massive dropoff in playing numbers in High School.

Yep and we aren't producing any top tier talent anymore. It amazes me that as little as 7 or 8 years ago we had 25+ Canadians playing professional rugby in Europe and elsewhere with a number of Canadians in the top tiers of Europe.

The "elite" rugby programs of Canada have killed the club game and also the development pathways as they used to exist.

I noticed a lot of kids signing up for flag rugby and juniors but the programs were so poorly organized that many didn't continue. There is a massive dropoff in playing numbers in High School.
As a father of two teenagers in high performance sport. I see decreasing numbers at contact team sports. As my son is AAA player the cost is sky sky high and commitment required by the family to be totally out of proportion to the benefits for most teams and kids (yes I am idiot for doing it)

I trying to sign up my son for Rugby and they didn't even email back. They are cancelling football at the high school level using COVID as an reason but teachers tell me they just don't want to coach and have the hassle and expense.

There is some growth in Soccer and Swimming (female). Hockey will become like polo in future.

Sport I see moving to the an almost 19th century model were only the "upper-class" play. The time and money needed are just too much for the average the family. Even soccer is moving to be more expensive.

The future for mass sports is an e-sports model. E-sports fastest growing entertainment/sport business in the world. It is larger in dollars than Hollywood movies, NFL, etc.

As a father of two teenagers in high performance sport. I see decreasing numbers at contact team sports. As my son is AAA player the cost is sky sky high and commitment required by the family to be totally out of proportion to the benefits for most teams and kids (yes I am idiot for doing it)

I trying to sign up my son for Rugby and they didn't even email back. They are cancelling football at the high school level using COVID as an reason but teachers tell me they just don't want to coach and have the hassle and expense.

There is some growth in Soccer and Swimming (female). Hockey will become like polo in future.

Sport I see moving to the an almost 19th century model were only the "upper-class" play. The time and money needed are just too much for the average the family. Even soccer is moving to be more expensive.

The future for mass sports is an e-sports model. E-sports fastest growing entertainment/sport business in the world. It is larger in dollars than Hollywood movies, NFL, etc.

Where are you located ?

Send me a PM. Good chance I get your lad in touch with the local Rugby community.

Chances are it's an honest miss. Rugby is renowned for being completely inclusive and never turning away a prospective player.

I have two kids that play soccer at the equivalent of AAA hockey. I echo your comment that soccer isn't the cheap sport anymore, I am spending multi thousands each year to enroll them.

I have two kids that play soccer at the equivalent of AAA hockey. I echo your comment that soccer isn't the cheap sport anymore, I am spending multi thousands each year to enroll them.
Even House/Rec in Hockey is crazy $ these days.
$1,600 for the fall/winter season for House - versus over 3k here for travel competitive teams

At the AAA hockey level you better be ready to spend 9000.00 to 10 thousand a year all in.
Last year our AA team played 72 games
Most outside a 4hr driving bubble.
Some normal weekend games in CO.
I didn’t include travel costs in my fees above…

Insurance, god bless it!
Lucky Hockey Canada seems to self-insure, right? Sounds like it doesn't affect the fees all that much.

I grew up thinking soccer was reasonably accessible ($ wise), but am I ever learning a lesson here. I also hear from swimming parents that it ain't cheap there, either.

Lucky Hockey Canada seems to self-insure, right? Sounds like it doesn't affect the fees all that much.

I grew up thinking soccer was reasonably accessible ($ wise), but am I ever learning a lesson here. I also hear from swimming parents that it ain't cheap there, either.
None of the kids activities are cheap anymore. I am having a hard time getting through to my wife that the kids cannot do “everything” anymore and choices will have to be made…

Last year our AA team played 72 games
Most outside a 4hr driving bubble.
Some normal weekend games in CO.
I didn’t include travel costs in my fees above…
Back in the dark ages when most farms were 320-640 acres and you needed at least 2 to 3 sons (and a couple of daughters) to run the place we never travelled more than 55 km one way to play another town. Within that radius we had 8 other towns/villages/hamlets to play hockey, baseball, Football, basketball, volleyball against. Registration for hockey was $25.00 (even in the 70's that was very affordable) and baseball was 10.00. School sports were free. Everybody, regardless of economic status could play. Those days (for a myriad of reasons) are long long gone.

... I am having a hard time getting through to my wife that the kids cannot do “everything” anymore and choices will have to be made…
I'm guessing you're FAR from alone on that front these days.
... Registration for hockey was $25.00 (even in the 70's that was very affordable) and baseball was 10.00 ...
Even with inflation, sounds like hockey's costing way more than (say, comparing to '75) $130 and baseball $50 now :(
Along the way several people found a way to make beaucoup dollars. Same happened to soccer, baseball etc
Apart from org chart bloat (which I'm happy to hear about from those who know more than I do about the orgs), wonder how much this is a factor?
Insurance, god bless it!

When it rains, it pours.