• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Holding Class B jobs for reservists that go on tour (Split: 220 Reservists Needed for TF 03-06)

It can be.  I know out west we have tried to deal with this but nepotism is extremely difficult to stamp out.  It's an army problem, not just a Reserve one.

recceguy said:
Part of me says no, because I think our Cl B & B(A) system is somewhat broken.

Agreed.  There should be only two classes of Service: A (part time, limited liability) and C(full rime, deployable, unlimited liability, equivalent to Reg F but with the 30/60 day "out" clause remaining)

recceguy said:
They should get the full 100% wage and all the stuff that goes with it. "Pte Bloggins, they need a pay clerk in Khandahar. Pack your bags", but they're just a Reservist on Cl B, so they say "nope, not doing that".

Equal pay for work of equal value?  What a concept!  Reference my comment above, Bloggins shouldn't have the choice. But since the system doesn't permit (mostly due to funding) a Class B or B(A) soldier to be screened to the same standard as a Class C we can't do that.  Class B(A) Reservists should be fully deployable but that brings up the "why should a fully deployable full time Reservist make 15% less than a non deployable Reg F member?" question.

recceguy said:
If a Cl B or B(A) job gets posted, the incumbent should go to the bottom of the list. Give someone else the shot first.

If the incumbent quit his position after being refused permisson to go on a tour then, heck, yeah!

I think we're agreeing more than we're disagreeing.  Gotta watch that or this thread will lose it's appeal to others.

Haggis said:
I think we're agreeing more than we're disagreeing.   Gotta watch that or this thread will lose it's appeal to others.

I agree.  ;D Cheers :salute:

Gunner said:
Not sure what it is like out your way but in Western Canada, there isn't anyone else.

That's for sure.  There seems to be myth out there in both the Reg F and P Res communities that there are hordes of Reservists just waiting to jump on the contract gravy train.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I know that most formations have a hell of a time getting enough applicants just to hold a competition, let alone fill jobs with properly qualified personnel - particularly on the staff officer side.  If we were to suddenly ban full-timers from deployment or to say categorically that their contracts wouldn't be held in abeyance pending their return, the manning problem could become even worse...on both sides of the house.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
I know that most formations have a heck of a time getting enough applicants just to hold a competition, let alone fill jobs with properly qualified personnel -

Word, grumpy bear! ;)

As you can see by my avatar I work in ADM (HR-Mil). I recently administered two competitons in Ottawa for what most would consider to be "jammy" contracts:   The first, looking for a Cpl, RMS Clerk preferred, for 6 months Class B netted me two applicants (neither RMS Clerks).

The second, an almost identical position but for a MCpl for 3 years Class B(A), netted me three applicants (one RMS Clerk).

The pool ain't as deep as you think!

Now, let's put a relevant spin on this.

My new MCpl decides to volunteer for TF 03-06 (see other thread).   His unit screens him in and he comes to us with the "Sir I need a year off for a tour.   Then I'll come back and finish my contract." request.   Our options:

1. Let him go.   Wish him well and hire a backfill for a year.   In a year I get a keen MCpl back who knows what life's like on the sharp end.

2. Let him go.   Hire a replacement into the new position expending at least an equal amount of staff effort to terminate his contract and create a new position, attract, screen and hire a new MCpl.

3. Say "No."

The sound business decision for all involved is 1.   A policy now exists which rules out 2. Option 3 flies in the faces of the ADM (HR-Mil)'s Vision "Look after our people".

The Land Force Areas have had this policy for some time now (LFCA being the last to adopt it).   Like it or not a National level policy exists.   Ignoring it is not an ethical option.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
I know that most formations have a heck of a time getting enough applicants just to hold a competition, let alone fill jobs with properly qualified personnel - particularly on the staff officer side.  

So true, many of the competitions we advertise for get no applicants at all...

So true, many of the competitions we advertise for get no applicants at all...

Maybe this can be change by going to a pool system where a pers desiring a call out would be placed in a National/Regional pool. Then qualified pers can be applied to a specific job and not people applying for the choice/specfic jobs and disregarding the humdrum positions. Smaller communities it may not work as well but you will be able to have a list to choose from. A pers in another region could be offer the job if the Log/Fin permit.

Gunt_031 - this is what happens now.  Employment opportunities are sent nationally trying to drum up suitable (and qualified) applicants.  There is no large pool of people who can't get jobs with the exception of some jr ranks in non-admin trades.

Grunt_031 said:
A pers in another region could be offer the job if the Log/Fin permit.

I sent my employment opportunity messages to the local "pool administrators" and still had very few applicants.  I was not permitted to "go national" as my directorate couldn't afforrd to fund a cost move or pay for IR. 

The pool is always pretty shallow.  Work is work and if an unemployed or recently graduated Reservist doesn't find it in the CF, he'll look elsewhere. 

Grunt_031:

You suggested in an earlier post that a Reservist desiring full time military employment should CT to the Reg F.  If things were different, I'd agree but joining the Reg F is a long and tedious process, particularly if you're already a Reservist.  (these boards are full of CT horror stories going both ways, Reg to Res and Res to Reg.) 

The same is true in both components.  Many applicants for both the Reg F and Res F get other, more immediate civilian employment offers while thier files plod glacially through the recruiting process.  This has to change.

Thankfully Reserve Force Employment Policy is an rapidly evovling animal and changes for the better are already here with more on the horizon.

Thankfully Reserve Force Employment Policy is an rapidly evovling animal and changes for the better are already here with more on the horizon.

Haggis, are you working in this field at ADM (HR-Mil)?  As you are well aware, the passage on information on some of these issues is very sparse to non-existant.  If you are aware of initiatives, etc, would you be able to post them in a thread (ie the Reserve Pension Plan thread). 

I'm sure many Reservists would be interested in any potential changes in the future.

Cheers

Gunner said:
Haggis, are you working in this field at ADM (HR-Mil)?   As you are well aware, the passage on information on some of these issues is very sparse to non-existant.   If you are aware of initiatives, etc, would you be able to post them in a thread (ie the Reserve Pension Plan thread).  

I'm sure many Reservists would be interested in any potential changes in the future.

Cheers

Unfortunately, I am not. But I am in touch with those who are.  Surprisingly ADM(HR-Mil) Instruction 20-04 is a well kept secret, even within ADM(HR-Mil).  It seems to have been quietly born last December, replacing a 12 year old policy which had (AFAIK) never been amended.  No publicity, no fanfare.

I'll see if I can post some DIN links from work tomorrow.

Haggis said:
Surprisingly ADM(HR-Mil) Instruction 20-04 is a well kept secret, even within ADM(HR-Mil).

It made big waves in my CBG, for the better I think. It should help put and end to the nepotism mentioned above. For example, any under/over ranked or mis- MOC'ed filled class b position must be re-advertised every 6 or 12 months IIRC, rather than filling a Cpl RMS posn with a Inf Sgt and employing him in a different role for 3 years without competition...

OK:  Here's some links:
ADM (HR-Mil) Instruction 20-04 (Administrative Policy Of Class "A", Class "B" And Class "C" Reserve Service
DIN only with current amendments:
http://hr3.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/docs/instruction/instructions/engraph/2004_V16_admhrmil_e.asp

Internet (not up to date):

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/Downloads/Administrative%20policy%20of%20class%20A,b,c%20Res.doc

CF Pension Modernization Project (Res F pension FAQs)

DIN Link: http://hr3.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgcb/cfpmp/engraph/faq_e.asp?sidesection=5#11

Internet Link: http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dgcb/cfpmp/engraph/faq_e.asp?sidesection=5#11

Back