• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Holiday 2010 - Rants

navymich

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Like it or not, that certain day is fast approaching.  Or rather, that "season" as it seems to have turned into.  I am not typically a Grinch, but there are always times each year when I am ready to hide in a corner and skip it all.  Here is everyone's place to rant on this year's events.  (I know there are lots of Scrooges out there!)

I received an email from my mother at 6:57am on 12 Nov (I guess I should be thankful that she at least waited until after Remembrance Day):  "when are you having Christmas this year?  I need lists from everyone!"  I responded back to her that I would be doing a full turkey dinner mid-afternoon on the 24th and we would be doing some of the gift exchange then too (mostly due to the fact that my son and step-daughters will be going to their other parents' places on the afternoon of the 25th) to which she replies back "but I have to work until at least 5pm on the 24th so there is no way I can be there before 6pm."

Pack your bags folks, we are going on a guilt trip!  ::)

No need for a guilt trip just tell them to bad so sad. People make way to much of a big deal about this time of year . I work in a Nursing home and I have worked every xmass including this one sense I started not a big deal . I do however get tired of how stressed out people get over this holidays and I would love to tell those people to chill out folks .

I like to remind people that I will be having Christmas on the 25th of December this year.  And I will celebrate by going to mass (one of two days of obligation for us Catholics in Canada, other than Sundays). 

Of course, if they wish, they can drill for details re: dinners, etc.  I'm lucky that I'm in NB and my ma is in ON, so there is no way I can "scoot over" for the 25th.  No guilt!  ;D

>:D

Funny how so many so called "atheists" suddenly get religion come the Christmas/New Years break in order not to do Duty during the Holidays.

>:D

;D

As a follower of the Jedi Knight faith I will not be celebrating Christmas. Instead, we celebrate "Day of Gift Giving Decorated Pine Tree Avian Feasting Day".

But before all this, I will be observing " Pre-Day of Gift Giving Decorated Pine Tree Avian Feasting Day" by consuming obnoxious amounts of intoxicating liquids on the 24th, followed by light saber practice and the use of audio visual entertainment devices.

George Wallace said:
Funny how so many so called "atheists" suddenly get religion come the Christmas/New Years break in order not to do Duty during the Holidays.

Are you suggesting all the Christians actually go to church at Christmas and therefore have a valid reason to be on holidays?

Michael O'Leary said:
Are you suggesting all the Christians actually go to church at Christmas and therefore have a valid reason to be on holidays?

Seems silly in this day and age I know. Isn't there an App for that now?  ;D

Michael O'Leary said:

Quite to opposite.  Many only become "Christians" for the "Christian holidays", be it Christmas, Easter, etc. so as to have the "time off". 

George Wallace said:
Quite to opposite.  Many only become "Christians" for the "Christian holidays", be it Christmas, Easter, etc. so as to have the "time off". 

I don't mean members of other religions here, but those claiming to not have a religion.  Anything to get out of being put on "Duty".

George Wallace said:

Or maybe since most units and such shut down for that period it makes sense regardless of ones religious stance that they plan trips and family activities for that time period.  But that is just me, I usually don't see big conspiracy theories in things I usually just try and apply common sense.

;D

Commons Sense in an RANT topic........in Radio Chatter......

Do we have to move this topic into a forum that is for serious discussion?    >:D

To be serious, as MJP has pointed out, most units will be down to min manning, and no matter what ones religious affiliation, if they are one of the senior members in the organization, they will be "on call" no matter what.  Someone will have the "Duty Cell" on their person for the holidays, and it won't be Pte Bloggins.

Now back to Holiday 2010 Rants.    >:D

airmich said:
So YOU were one of the lucky ones that got issued that, eh?  ;)

Lucky? ? ?

It's a curse.

George Wallace said:
;D

Commons Sense in an RANT topic........in Radio Chatter......

Do we have to move this topic into a forum that is for serious discussion?    >:D

Now back to Holiday 2010 Rants.    >:D

Sure sure put the smilies in now :)

I know the type you are talking about though and I agree, especially when they belong to the senior NCO cohort that is suppose to be doing the duties.

airmich said:
So YOU were one of the lucky ones that got issued that, eh?  ;)

Obviously you don't know me to accuse me of having common sense......:)

:mad:

Why is there always a New Years Winter Storm between Edmundston and Rivière du-Loup when I have to drive through?

George Wallace said:
:mad:

Why is there always a New Years Winter Storm between Edmundston and Rivière du-Loup when I have to drive through?

You talking about little old highway 185?  There's a winter storm that runs from November to March in that area.  That's a good thing, because if it weren't for the snow, the potholes would swallow your car.  ;D

Occam said:
........., the potholes would swallow your car.  ;D

Is that what they call construction there?  ;D

I must admit, that eventually when they join all those small four lane divided highway sections (after I have passed on) it may be a much nicer drive. 

Don't let them take away the signs for Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!.

Back