• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Houston - "Man arrested, accused of stolen valor"

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
4282100298_5a96a8a458_o.jpg

Man arrested, accused of stolen valor
Saturday, February 06, 2010

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7261240

Kevin Quinn
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- He looks like a soldier. He says he's a soldier. But he's not a soldier. And now he is facing charges for lying about his resume. When we started asking questions, so did the FBI.

The man, who the FBI says is nothing but a fraud, even showed up in a military uniform at Houston Mayor Annise Parker's inauguration. The problem is that he didn't earn any of the medals he was wearing.

Michael Patrick McManus was arrested Friday night after a federal judge signed a warrant for his arrest. The FBI says he was arrested without incident.

A blog reads like an old time wanted poster: Wanted for stolen valor. Do you know this man? Reward.

"Just looking at the guy, the appearance is that he was a truly decorated serviceman," said a man who took the photos of McManus.

The picture of McManus was taken at Mayor Parker's victory party in December. The man who shot it is retired military. He sent six pictures to us though he didn't want to be identified. He spoke with us by phone about why he was so suspicious seeing all the awards on this man's uniform.

That was kind of my initial indication that you know what, something here doesn't add up. It doesn't look right," he said.

The medals included two distinguished service crosses, the second-highest award for valor given by the Army. Even a purple heart.

"The parachute badge. That's the basic parachute badge," said a military expert.

What's more experts say around his neck appears to indicate he is the Commander of the British Empire.

"He's got so many, if you take out the list of decorations, it looks like he just went and collected every one and slapped them on his chest," John Bradley said.

Bradley is a retired U.S. Army Officer, a graduate of the Military Academy at West Point and he teaches courses in military history at the University of Houston-Downtown and Rice University. We asked him to look at the pictures for us.

More at link.

See also:

http://bostonmaggie.blogspot.com/2010/01/do-you-recognize-this-man.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YlH1XSlujrQ/S1SEdbyqXQI/AAAAAAAAC64/VFV9SskB5Yo/s1600-h/Fake+Soldier.jpg

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2010/01/launch-ready-pitchfork.html

His decorations include;
Round Patch, right side says "Central Intelligence Agency." Ummm yea. Great start.

Awards:
Around the neck is the British Commander of the British Empire (CBE).
2 Distinguished Service Cross
Air Medal
Flying Cross
2 Silver Star
Bronze Star
Purple Heart
National Defense (too bad he didn't make it easy on us and forget this one)

Devices:
SAS crest
CIB w/ 2 stars
Master jump wings
Helo pilot badge
Air assault wings
Pathfinder

.... and so on. How did he ever have the time to complete JPME 1 & II?

We should get man_bear_pig to come out of his hide and take care of this Walt.

PMedMoe said:
Looks like a complete fool.  ::)

More like a loser than fool.

Check out his gotee!

Named, and shamed w/pic, now throw the book at this pathetic POS.

OWDU

Why do these people always wear the most distinguished medals? It just draws more attention to themselves.

I guess this is a good time to bring this up.

I recently met a guy who "did a tour" in Afghanistan with 2 RCR get this...based in Petawawa....rightt....

So a tour, a year of counselling for PTSD afterwards....and it doesn't end there.

"Para"

"Pathfinder" (I don't even think it's been run since he was old enough to take it)

and some type of "Escape and Evasion" where he was the only guy to "make it out".

All in three years of service...

I kind of just nodded at all of it and soaked it up. I really didn't want to start a fight, but man it was tempting. What a dishonour to those overseas.

Forgive my forum lingo but: FAIL!

Is all that really needs to be said. Plus, he looks like a complete ass.

He kind of brings new meaning to the phrase "overdoing it". 

Glad they are prosecuting this dweeb.  Someone should punch the shit out of him when all is said and done too.

Eye In The Sky said:
He kind of brings new meaning to the phrase "overdoing it". 

Yeah, Commander of the Order of the British Empire, no-one would have considered that an unusual award.    ::)

And that's just the beginning.  Makes you wonder how many walts are out there wearing perfectly plausible and harder to verify groups to match their fantasy lives.

Worst of all was he still couldn't get laid.............................well he might at Leavenworth.

Did this bloke really think that he could away being the Commander of the British Empire, and a CIA member?  Some people need to think the little things out.

"Lies from "war vet" are protected speech, civil liberties group says: Rick Strandlof may have lied about being a decorated Iraq War veteran, but those lies are protected by the First Amendment, according to his attorney and a civil liberties organization.
Strandlof, 32, is charged in U.S. District Court in Denver with five misdemeanors related to violating the Stolen Valor Act — specifically, making false claims about receiving military decorations.":
http://www.denverpost.com/news/frontpage/ci_14226551

Not sure about Leavenworth. The guy in this story is charged with misdemeanors, not felonies.

"The act, signed into law in 2006, carries a punishment ranging from fines to six months in prison."

First offence, probably just a fine?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-military-medals-impostors,0,6987503.story

Sort of reminds me of the Nick Nolte character in "Tropic Thunder".
I think guys in a bar are more likely to tell a chick they are airline pilots. Like in that Leonardo DiCaprio movie.

Atleast more people will recognize his face now that it is in the news.  If things work out, he'll live in shame AND get a shit-kicking at some point.

I really do think there IS such a thing as a well-deserved punch in the face.  This guy is living proof IMO.

Hey, maybe this guy is MBP......he's been pretty quiet lately.        ;D

Regards

Back