• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How long did you give it some thought before enlisting?

Been thinking about it off and on for a while. Started seriously considering it 6 months ago, and now I am hoping to recieve my job offer next week(Infantry Soldier) and hopefully heading out for the July 6th BMQ.

Well I just got the call from my local CFRC, once my paperwork gets back from Ottawa I'll be merit listed! Lots of openings in all three of my career choices! Six months in the making and the end is in sight! ;D

Pat_Y said:
I guess it is true. Your parents do know what is best for you...

Not always. When I briefly mentioned I was considering applying for the forces to my mother the other month, she was dismissive that the CF would even accept me. I am 25 and it is a my mother, so *shrugs*.

Trish said:
One night I was bored, watching TV, saw the ad, thought it was cool but also thought I would never be able to do so.  Anyhow, I went through their web site and found the Public Affair Officer job description (I have a degree in Communication Sciences).  I thought this position was made for me so I did the on-line application, went to bring my diploma and other needed documents, did an other application (they had somehow lost my first one!) and now I passed my aptitude test, I have my medical test next week... I am a bit scared for the interview, but we'll see!!

Great, another n00b we'll have to break in when you're done with Cornwall.  ;D

40below, maybe it is because my english is not that good (yet) but I don't think I understand what you mean!  :-[

One Month after everyone I partied with all summer after highschool went to university and were calling me to go party with them downtown...... and I had an allowance of 5 bucks....
One month after that I was doing basic.

On the one hand I could say that it took me close to 30 years and on the other hand less than 30 minutes.

I went to the recruiting centre in Halifax after university.  I was so sure my dad would be all proud of me.  He had been in the RCMP back in the day when it was sort of para-military and had said it was such a great experience.  I was wrong.  He did not say much, but did not approve.  It is not that I cannot think for myself, it is more that I respected my dad so much.

Now close to 30  years later we moved to a small city (Regina) with reserves and my new job would not take me out of town.  I did not think that there was much chance that I would be young enough for the reserves.  I actually remember that it was Christmas eve day at almost noon and I was walking past the recruiting office and it was still open.  I also amazingly had all my Christmas shopping done.
Given my timing, I am amazed at how gracious the recruiter was with his time.  Before I left, I knew that I was going to go regular forces.

There were a couple of hipcups in the application process but it is now finally done.  I look forward to the challenge of keeping up with you young dudes.

I was an unemployed treehugger at 28 in 95.  Seemed like a good thing to do, but the white paper had just stopped everything.  OK!  So I could be a 28 YO Private.  That worked.  After 12 years Res it was OT time and here I am. 

It took me about 2 yrs  :) ... I joined at 16...been in ever since... now 22  :salute:

(Started my application on my 16th Birthday!)  ;D

MARS said:
I didn’t.  I didn’t want to join, never planned on joining. 
It was the best decision I never made.
Whoa -- déjà vu.

Came home and announced that I'd quit highschool; with football season over, clearly Gr 11 had nothing to offer me!

My Dad just said, "get in the car" -- with me now suddenly expecting to get put down like Old Yeller, we drove to the Seafarer's Union Hall. It was closed, so he said "I guess it's the military for you then."

Best decision I never made as well.  :nod:

Joining the Canadian Forces has always been a dream for me, ever since I was 8 years old. I've had only one member of my extended family serve but he sure accomplished a lot. 7 tours and 18 years later he's now out with a MR. The real thing that drew me to the Forces was "Serving with Canada's best" and I will admit thats true to a point.

Myself, I took the plunge in 2005 right after graduation. I was counselled out for NPD use for 6 months. During that time, I rethought my decesion and VW'd my file. I decided after a failed attempt at college and two other jobs that I wanted to give it another try in 2007.

I've now been in a year and a bit, with plenty of time to serve on my VIE as a COMM RSCH OP. I am working out-of-trade as an acting-RMS Clerk at the very centre I was sworn into, helping people who were like me just a year and a bit ago.

It's a rewarding career that will build you up in ways you never thought possible. Not to mention the pure feeling that you're doing something for your country, and serving Canada with distinction.

Myself I first started to think about joining after High school (20 years ago), but was admittedly very anti social, and decided to peruse my other interest in conservation enforcement (it seemed a lot more secluded from humanity).  Starting a family at 22 re-organized my goals and priorities and I became an electrician.  November of 2002, really got me thinking about my responsibilities and my duty, but never quite took action as my family had grown and the kids were still quite young.  Life as it is has thrown in a few changes, challenges and adventures from then till now which is how I like it.  When we decided to call it a day for my hobby business this winter, it again challenged us with a lot of questions and opportunities.  Now at 37 with a good middle class life and my children nearing high school and self sufficiency, with doors closing behind us we decided now was a good time to shuffle the deck and embark on a new adventure,  As I had been intending to join the reserves since January, changing that up to reg force and pursuing my  goals set aside long ago and serving my country seemed a natural choice.  It took all of an evening to decide to change my application and go Reg. So like Rod, it was a long time coming to make a quick decision.

Hi, this is my first post into the english side of this site. Please forgive my english, I have some difficulties with grammar and spelling, .

It took me 10 years to think about it. I sent my application 2 weeks ago.

I guess the idea was first put into my head in grade 12 when the local reserve unit came to school on career day recruiting for the combat engineers here in Chilliwack.

I never actually joined the reserves and the thought went on the back burner. My brother then joined the regular force as an infantry NCM, this was about 5 years ago. That got me thinking again, but I had a fiance and a son, so finishing post secondary was the priority.

Then my brother came home and told me about the CEOTP program, which I looked into, but the wife never approved.

Fast forward 2 years, the idea still in my head, the wife decides she doesnt want to be with me anymore and I am once again single. So, what better time to do what I wanted to do. I bought a motorcycle and went to the local recruitment office.

Not in yet, but the app is well underway. Looking forward to a new chapter in my life.

NightEcho said:
Not in yet, but the app is well underway. Looking forward to a new chapter in my life.

Sounds like this is right up your alley, I always encountered people wanting to start fresh/new in their lives, hope to see you in uniform soon  :salute:

BlueJingo said:
Sounds like this is right up your alley, I always encountered people wanting to start fresh/new in their lives, hope to see you in uniform soon  :salute:

Me too, glad to see you won't let a girl do you mind tricks anymore. Hopefully there is another girl just like you wish awaiting for you on your path. Just be patient and open minded.

What!  I had a choice!  JK

I guess for me it was just the next natural step.  My father was in the air force.  So growing up I did Wolf Cubs, then Boy Scouts, then Air Cadets, then Militia.  See a pattern there.  So I joined the Regs right after school and haven't regretted a minuted of it.  Only 3657 days until CRA but who's counting. LOL   

Back