• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Much is Too Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DBA said:
From what I understand all government departments must show progress towards making things accessible. If they started granting exceptions or lessened requirements to one department then all the others would ask for the same and we would be back to square one. As for troops accommodations, keep in mind they are sometimes also used for housing contractors running training and computer based exercises. It's certainly possible for contractors to benefit from accessible rooms.

In my experience, contractors and civvies stay in hotels.

Face it, this is just the blind application of rules without any consideration as to the utility or cost/benifit ratio. The last time the Army did business this way was the Battle of the Somme, a straight frontal assault behind a week long artillery barrage, costing the British 20,000 dead and 60,000 casualties all told in the first day alone. Luckily for us, we are only sending tax dollars rather than people into a frontal assault........

We now have two firehalls with a handi-cap washroom.  It does have to make one wonder about the blind application of the rules.  HMM a fire truck with a wheel chair lift would make us look really pro active.

Reference elevator near the mess.

How often is it going to get used?

Wait until you have a really good mess dinner and you can hardly stand on your own two feet (LOL)

How are politicians going to visit the various bases across Canada if you don't make them accessible to the handicapped.

My apologies to the handicapped.

Access in reserve armouries is, I think, worthwhile.  Not all of the associates and veterans who might come down will necessarily have the unencumbered use of their legs, not to mention that it makes the facility more usable to the general public.

In the late 1980's, there was a guy who was injured at sea out west, and was in and out of a wheel chair in Nelles Block [CFB Esquimalt] for almost 2 months before he was good to go. For those of us who were there, and picked him up and carried him up the stairs; or into the head; or bothered to leave the friggin remote for the TV someplace where he could reach it; or carried him down the 4 concrete stairs on the west side of the block; and all sorts of other stuff like that .... you know why those rules for accessibility are important.

To reiterate and add to what already has been said:

SLI (IIRC) do not house transients/contractors/civvies (or Res on work-up). They have transient quarters for that.

SLI(again, IIRC), is 100% restricted to Reg Force Pers (single). It is verbotin for all others to overnight in SLI Quarters, unless you're sleeping with one of the troops.

The handicapped/wheelchair access issue for transients, contractors or whomever is a red herring.

That's as bad as the Braille signs in the shacks at CPC in Trenton,yeah a bit too far.No offence to any blind people reading this.

MG34 said:
That's as bad as the Braille signs in the shacks at CPC in Trenton,yeah a bit too far.No offence to any blind people reading this.

MG34,

I'm sure it was a slip. I'm sure they won't be offended. :)

recceguy said:
MG34,

I'm sure it was a slip. I'm sure they won't be offended. :)

They may have one of those computers from the CNIB that reads the text for them.....

GW

Over the last 6 years Canada has been at war.  This war has cost 82 fallen soldiers and over 400 wounded.  That is enough numbers so that each and every building in the CF is has to be accessible.
Gen Hillier has vowed to keep all wounded soldiers in uniform and if that comes at such a heartache to any other soldier than I shall meet them in the alley for a "chat".
All buildings must fall under the building codes of the day.  That also happens to be the morally right thing to do.

For those out east I know a sniper that you can talk to.....
For those on ships...please wait your turn as the first sailor to be wounded on a boarding party will change some mindsets.
For those in the air they already understand that the CF has a pointy end and at times also has desks to be manned.
To those out west I encourage anyone who feels my committment to the uniform the flag and the Queen hasnt been to their liking.....well id love to chat about it.

Accessibility is an issue to people who have legs, who can see and who can walk to those that cant do these things allow us the honour and dignity to somehow not hide, not cower and wear our uniform with pride.
To all the others look in the mirror and be thankful that the war hasnt touched you.

MCpl PM Franklin
973 4011
local 6119
ptepaul1@rogers.blackberry.net

Well said.  Pretty much puts an end to this discussion I think.

On that note, looks like we have the full range of points out there so we'll let this one settle down for a bit.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back