• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How often do you Navy fella's sail a year on average

SteveC

Inactive
Reaction score
I was curious, how often are you guys away a year on average?

Does it depend on the trade?

For west coast Naval Reserve ships (MCDVs)...roughly 180-200 days a year, as of Apr '07 (when I left).  I'm sure there are people that can support and/or refute this claim though.  There are always rumours about sailing days going up...

I would say if you are not getting deployed, on average about 4 exercises a year lasting about 3-4 weeks in duration each.  If you are going on deployment about 8 months - 2 months for Work-ups and associated trg and 6 months for the deployment.

It doesn't really depend on your trade, but more of the ship you are posted to.  However, hard sea trades over the course of their career will sail for longer then others.

Cheers J.

I've been on a particularly busy West Coast reg force unit and have done about 200 days/year for the past 5 years.  Keep in mind that if you are healthy and in a short-manned trade, you will almost certainly get TD on other ships as well, which drives personal sailing days up.

I can't think of a year when I was with the fleet that the ships I was on didn't sail for a total of at least 6 months in a year. 

From what I hear based on a buddy of mine who was on divi's today - it's only about to get a lot worse (or better if you love being away). 

The past 12 years on MCDV's I have sailed an average of over 200 days per year, some years up to 250. Right now it looks like it might actually increase.

been in the navy  after being in the Infantry , checked my MPRR 3 yrs navy service  516 days away from home

I'll drop in simply to agree with what everyone has said. My personal experiences are very much in-line with Dimsum and Stoker

When I was on HMCS Charlottetown from 1996-2001, I was onboard for 56 months, away from Halifax for 39.

In 2005, on HMCS Montreal, I was at sea for 9 months.

Last year, with the ship in refit, I sailed for about a week in December, bringing the ship out of refit for sea trials.

So far this year, I've been at sea for 5 weeks, and if I'm still aboard in the summer, it could be 2 months of sailing between May and the end of July.

Last year wasn't busy.

2005 was VERY busy. 

2006, I think I was at sea for about 4-5 months.  I don't remember.  Kind of a blur.

Depends on the ship, and it's programme.

NS

Back