• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to best take advantage of a bachelors degree...

zill1 said:
If this is directed at me it's petty and misplaced. I don't have any false senses of entitlement; I just asked the best way to take advantage of working my *** off for four years obtaining one of the more challenging degrees available and having wasted four full years of my life to have no benefit from it would be shitty. Sorry if it means dog crap to you.

He offered you some outstanding practical advice earlier about how to use your degree as an avenue into CANSOFCOM, so you might want to take it down a thousand on the hostilitometer. If he wanted to slam you he would have quoted you. Journeyman ain't shy.

I think, however, that your tone and attitude in your response about your degree is proving the point that he made in general jest.

Tango2Bravo said:
He offered you some outstanding practical advice earlier about how to use your degree as an avenue into CANSOFCOM, so you might want to take it down a thousand on the hostilitometer. If he wanted to slam you he would have quoted you. Journeyman ain't shy.

I think, however, that your tone and attitude in your response about your degree is proving the point that he made in general jest.

And his input on the subject was more than appreciated. Unrelated accusations of a gimmi-gimmi attitude just because I have a degree isn't, in my opinion. My tone about my degree? I don't have any delusions that having a degree makes me better than anyone; quite contrary. It's MUCH easier to be a university student in any year than to work 40 hours a week. Although spending four years surrounded by liberal bleeding hearts and dramatic brainless women (albeit having other uses) should be recognized as a feat in itself.

Another feat would be if you have paid your student loans and aren't going to declare personal bankruptcy first.

Tango18A said:
Another feat would be if you have paid your student loans and aren't going to declare personal bankruptcy first.

I went largely for free through scholarships and worked through summers... only cost of living is a little stressful right now.

PMedMoe said:
Nice.  ::)

So how's your hostilitometer today?

You've got brains and I've never seen any drama, so I think that you were exempt...

ballz said:
*jumps for cover and watches eagerly* ;D

Yeah that joke was terribly worded.

I am going to get with a recruiter and discuss all this sometime this week.

Loachman said:
So how's your hostilitometer today?
Meh.  I'd be more worried about my sarcasmometer.  ;)

Loachman said:
You've got brains and I've never seen any drama, so I think that you were exempt...
Thanks!!  :)

zill1 said:
Yeah that joke was terribly worded.
Terribly worded, yes.  Joke?  Hardly.

zill1 said:
Good idea.

PMedMoe said:
Thanks!!  :)

I specifically avoided speculation regarding any "uses" that you may or may not have, though.

Wasn't that polite of me?

This topic has been bleeped bleeped, and now is spiraling downward..........as must they all................... ;D

I don't have a degree. It might have something to do with that.

But I do have manners.

Sort of.

Loachman said:
I specifically avoided speculation regarding any "uses" that you may or may not have, though.

Wasn't that polite of me?
Yes indeed.  ;)

zill1 said:

Oh please oh please don't be a U of T student ...

zill1,

Your interest in a military career is commendable,but its not for everyone. People find that out right away at basic training. Look into alternatives as a Plan B such as positions in the Canadian government - intelligence or the foreign service might be worth considering.

zill1 said:
Hi,

I have considered joining the military for some time and was wondering what would be the best way to take advantage of my bachelors degree without being in an administrative position. I will have an undergraduate degree in mathematics at the end of this year.

When I joined in 1983 I was half done a Hons degree in Bus Admin at one of the best business schools in Canada.  I loved accounting and wanted to be a Logistics Officer - but the annual quota was full.  I went Artillery, finished off my degree with no debts and immediately went to Germany while the wall was crumbling down.  12 years later I took an Occupational Transfer (OT) to Health Care Admin.  10 years later I received full sponsorship for a Master of Health Admin.  All that to say, congrats on getting an Undergrad degree.  Some of my professors have PhDs in Math and Business and they have been teaching for many years.  I am about the same age as they are and make approximately the same salary.  I have some wonderful experiences they would give their left arm to have lived.  My degree looks nice in the frame I put it in 25 years ago.  It did not open any special doors but it was a good start in a long (26+ year) eventful career in uniform.

People hire you for what you know and keep/fire you for who you are.

Answers related to ``how to best take advantage of a bachelors degree `` will generally lead to technical and specialized advices from people in your field or related.

You might ask yourself, ``how to best take advantage of who am I, my life experiences and couple of skills I developed through university, including the Math World `` and find an answer that best fit you.

my  :2c:

Hey guys! I love the words Hostillimetre and Sarcasmometre! Mind if I steal 'em and put them into my everyday vocabulary???

Tango:  You can no longer declare bankruptcy on federally and provincially dealt loans -- only those you obtain directly from a bank (like, a line of credit, etc). Too many people back in the 90s were playing that game... you need to have at least 10 years pass now before you can declare bankruptcy on that. I am the proud owner of nearly $70K in student loans... no getting out of it except, well... paying it off - which I intend to do!

Zill -- they weren't directing the sarcasm at you, believe me! I've been around these boards long enough to know that most of those kinds of jabs are usually at one another, and not usually the poster posting :)

You might get teased about what good is a math degree. But, a math degree to me is much more useful than a history or english degree. (I have a history degree, so I 'get it' :p  )  most people with history or english degrees, tend to go into teaching (at least at the university I went to)!  But, if you were planning to go into actuary, perhaps the alternative route has traditionally been a business degree... so it's easier for a person with a business degree to explain why they went into that, than for someone with a math degree. 

tomahawk6 said:
zill1,

Your interest in a military career is commendable,but its not for everyone. People find that out right away at basic training. Look into alternatives as a Plan B such as positions in the Canadian government - intelligence or the foreign service might be worth considering.

Indeed. May I also suggest Canada's cryptologic agency. Your math degree will come in handy. Join the reserve and get the best of both worlds.

armychick2009 said:
Hey guys! I love the words Hostillimetre and Sarcasmometre! Mind if I steal 'em and put them into my everyday vocabulary???

Please use whenever appropriate!

Back