• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to engage in political discourse on Army.ca

Brihard said:
It seems to be the worst system- except for all of the others that have been tried.

Rather like Churchill's comments on Democracy.

With one or two notable exceptions, I think the political discourse on army.ca is a shining example to the rest of the internet.

Even when I don't agree with the points being made, I usually have to concede that the arguments are well made and generally not ad hominem (again, excepting one or two notable exceptions).

We can always do better, but I think there is much to applaud here in both how the mods handle things and in how most posters conduct themselves.

garb811 said:
To make it clear to all:

Use of the commenting ability in the MilPoints function is not a way around the tone and content requirements to participate in the political forums.  Attempts to circumvent the tone and content guidelines by doing this will result in the same sanctions as a post made in one of the threads.
Brought forward to reiterate.

Some of you have forgotten that commenting when awarding or deducting MilPoints will be held to the same standard as Mikes guidelines. It’s not a way to skirt the rules. It’s not a way to get a free pass on attacking a poster directly. 

It’s not that hard to be respectful to each other and act like the adults most of us are. If you can’t manage that, as Mike said, there are plenty of other websites where you can go and do that, if that is what you really need to do on these topics.

I received a PM from a user who was concerned that DS were reading the private messages that they had sent via the MilPoints system to another user.  MilPoints are fully public, including the comments you attach when awarding them.

Please see the MilPoints FAQ for the full details...

- Milnet.ca Staff

garb811 said:
It’s not that hard to be respectful to each other and act like the adults most of us are. If you can’t manage that, as Mike said, there are plenty of other websites where you can go and do that, if that is what you really need to do on these topics.

Mike and Staff,

Thank you for implementing and enforcing an environment of respectful discourse.  That is what allows a democracy to function.

There are lots of sites where people can't be respectful, and I've removed them all.  Army.ca is the only one I use now because I have no intention to listen to or engage the 5% at either end.

Thanks to all at Army.ca for this thread.

I appreciate your guidelines. Wish I read this thread earlier  :facepalm:

Cheers

shawn5o

If your arguments seem to be going in circles, just note that facts don't matter to a lot of people -- perhaps an increasing percentage of people, who cannot differentiate between 'opinion' and 'informed opinion.'

Elizabeth Kolbert, "Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds," The New Yorker, 19 February 2017.

Sometimes it's best to just walk away. Or, expressed as a fable: DON'T ARGUE WITH DONKEYS

The donkey said to the tiger: "The grass is blue." The tiger replied: "No, the grass is green." The discussion heated up, and the two decided to submit to arbitration, and for this they went before the lion, the King of the Jungle.

Already before reaching the forest clearing, where the lion was sitting on his throne, the donkey began to shout: "Your Highness, is it true that the grass is blue?"

The lion replied: "True, the grass is blue." The donkey hurried and continued: "The tiger disagrees with me and contradicts and annoys me, please punish him." The king then declared: "The tiger will be punished with 5 years of silence." The donkey jumped cheerfully and went on his way, content and repeating "the grass Is blue"...

The tiger asked the lion: "Your Majesty, why have you punished me?, after all, the grass is green."
The lion replied: "In fact, the grass is green." "But that has nothing to do with the question of whether the grass is blue or green. The punishment is because it is not possible for a brave and intelligent creature like you to waste time arguing with a donkey, and on top of that come and bother me with that question."

The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who does not care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on arguments that don't make sense... There are people who, no matter how much evidence we present to them, do not have the capacity to understand, and others are blinded by ego, hatred, and resentment, and all they want is to be right even if they are not.

Sanctimonious preaching ends

Once upon a time I knew of people being championed because they had been ridiculed, and worse, for their opinions, for being lone voices in the wilderness -

Copernicus, Galileo, Wycliffe, Hus, Luther, Wishart, Columbus, .... Churchill.

Once upon a time I knew of people being championed because they had been ridiculed, and worse, for their opinions, for being lone voices in the wilderness -

Copernicus, Galileo, Wycliffe, Hus, Luther, Wishart, Columbus, .... Churchill.
Again, opinion versus informed opinion comes into play.

All the folks you referenced above were well versed in the ways of their respective worlds and were able trying to use their wisdom to enlighten people.

Conversely, having an opinion on something you have little to no knowledge or experience on makes you a loudmouth in my book. There are a lot of people who "have the real facts!" who have completely ignored the vast majority of others who are saying words to the contrary.

In all things, veracity is key.

Again, opinion versus informed opinion comes into play.

All the folks you referenced above were well versed in the ways of their respective worlds and were able trying to use their wisdom to enlighten people.

Conversely, having an opinion on something you have little to no knowledge or experience on makes you a loudmouth in my book. There are a lot of people who "have the real facts!" who have completely ignored the vast majority of others who are saying words to the contrary.

In all things, veracity is key.
Not in maskirovka.

If your arguments seem to be going in circles, just note that facts don't matter to a lot of people -- perhaps an increasing percentage of people, who cannot differentiate between 'opinion' and 'informed opinion.'

The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who does not care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on arguments that don't make sense... There are people who, no matter how much evidence we present to them, do not have the capacity to understand, and others are blinded by ego, hatred, and resentment, and all they want is to be right even if they are not.

Librarians separate fiction from non-fiction, so we don't have to.

Chat rooms are for ideology, and entertainment. :)

Back