• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to get family on board

Even in the Reserves I was never "bored".  Sure there were menial tasks, but that goes with every job.  I quite enjoyed the challenge of my BMQ (R).  I didn't do great, but I wasn't horrible in any aspect either, except for maybe chin ups (never been my strong suit).  I also made the mistake of it being known that I was a former cadet, so eyes were always on me.  I think I actually received more chits for that simple knowledge because I should have known better when I did screw up, lol. 

Best advice, try the Reserves while you are in school.  It will give you a sample of military life without the commitment issues, and will still allow you to pursue education.  After your post secondary years are over, you should have a better idea of what it is you want to do........ and if your choice is still the military, you have a couple feet in the door for Officer consideration.  Experience and Education.  But in the end, it is your choice.  Do what is right in your heart and mind, and pay no attention to what others may think about it.  A great many people here have been in your position, especially in this day and age.

Mdrinka said:
So, today since I didn't sign up for college my parents started asking me what I wanted to do, and I told them I want to be in the CF infantry (just to clarify, don't think I made this decision 2 days ago, it's been a while and I'm pretty serious about it). My father started saying that's pitiful and I might as well go drive a cab and that I deceive him and all that crap. What should I do about this? My father thinks since his brother was in the army, that he(my father) knows everything about it. It's pretty annoying and I don't know what to do.

I have experienced the same thing when I decided to take up my course. It maybe a common problem but it really hurts when parents underestimate your judgment. Right? They seem to know everything sometimes. Anyway, hardheaded as I am, I continued with it and performed well on it. It is a good motivation I guess to prove to your parents that they are wrong in not believing in you....

On the other side, they just fear for you because it is quite a risky field. I am really proud of parents who selflessly give their child for the country. Though dangerous, it is a very noble field.

Go for it!

Hi, I want to join the reserves so I can see what the army is like on a part-time basis.  Im 16 as of now.  I want to join and take part in the army during the school year, but I do not think I can balance school and a military job.  Therefore I want to enlist for the summer of 2008.  By then I will be 17.  The problem is that both of my parents are being extremely difficult.  Every time I bring up a discussion about the army it just follows by a bunch of yelling and screaming with a basic NO.  They hide my application papers like theyre ashamed of it.  They wont even let me explain what I want to do.  All I hear is that Im going to get killed/brainwashed/raped in the army (yeah, they said that), and that the army is for losers.  This is something I really want to do because its something that counts and is worthwhile and interesting, rather than sitting around flippin burgers.  In essence, do I need their consent to join the reserves if im 17 years old?  And if I join for the summer of 2008, will I go for 2 months of straight Basic Training in St. Jean Quebec, or do I still do it one night a week, and then every other weekend or so?
Sorry if you think this post is irrelevant but all the influences around me are just so negative and outright ridiculous its gonna make me go nuts.

SPC , here are a few threads from the Recruiting FAQ]http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html]Recruiting FAQ for you to start with:

Convincing my parents  --  http://army.ca/forums/threads/13678.0
I think my head is going to explode [resistance from friends and family] --  http://army.ca/forums/threads/19887.0.html

As you work your way through other threads in the FAQ, you'll also find many of your other questions answered.

The reserves wont neccessarily cut in with school work, its a once a week thing, and its pretty good
you dont need their consent on joining if your 17
but if this is what you want to do, do it.
tell your parents that your doing it, its what i did.

CSAries89 said:
The reserves wont neccessarily cut in with school work, its a once a week thing, and its pretty good
you dont need their consent on joining if your 17
but if this is what you want to do, do it.
tell your parents that your doing it, its what i did.

You need to be at least 18 years of age, to join any branch of the Canadian Forces. ;)

SPC, three topics you've started so far and each of them would have been unnecessary if you have have performed a search of the site as has been suggested to you, so far, in all three topics.

I hope you've gotten the answers you've been looking for and next time please do a search.

Locked.

My parents are adamant about my not joining the Reg Force (or the PRes, for that matter.)

Same old party lines. They think I'll be deployed and shot at, and that I can't pass the fitness evaluation, and all that stuff. They just don't listen. I'll be turning 18 in approximately two hours, and am adamant about applying. Unfortunately my nearest CFRC is about a 30 minute drive from here, and as I have no licence getting there under their watch is a pain.

It's unfortunate that I live at home, because I will need their absence or their support in order to complete the application process (as far as getting to the CFAT and interview) and get to St-Jean.

Anything you can recommend?

I think its funny how people try to use "away from" motivation or de-motivation for that matter to influence themselves or others. Going away from what they don't want instead of toward what they do want.

You're 18 now. It's your life, not your parents. You make your choices for yourself and your happiness, not theirs.

Tell them how you feel and what you want to do. If they still object and won't help you get there you'll have to find some alternate means of applying. Phone a recruiter.

derael said:
I think its funny how people try to use "away from" motivation or de-motivation for that matter to influence themselves or others. Going away from what they don't want instead of toward what they do want.

You're 18 now. It's your life, not your parents. You make your choices for yourself and your happiness, not theirs.

Tell them how you feel and what you want to do. If they still object and won't help you get there you'll have to find some alternate means of applying. Phone a recruiter.

I appreciate that advice. I'll make some phone calls tomorrow and see what I can do.  :salute:

*Milnet.ca staff edit for site policy*

Well dustinm, let's look at this at the worst case scenerio. You can download and print all the forms required for application and then mail it in along with photocopies of required documents(SIN, Transcripts, etc..). Then the CFRC calls. You tell them that you have no immediate transportation. They'll say, "Take a cab. We'll reimburse you.". So there you go, you now have transportation to and from the CFRC for your CFAT, medical, and interview. And then any trips to the CFRC after that are likely to be reimbursed. I mean, my local CFRC(which isn't really local) offered to put me up in a hotel the night before my CFAT, medical, and interview.

I don't know why parents have so much distrust in the CF. My family never tried to talk me out of it(in fact a certain uncle talked me into it), even when I was very upfront that I want to be in the Combat Arms. It's really odd(at least to me). Ah well.

bms said:
Well dustinm, let's look at this at the worst case scenerio. You can download and print all the forms required for application and then mail it in along with photocopies of required documents(SIN, Transcripts, etc..). Then the CFRC calls. You tell them that you have no immediate transportation. They'll say, "Take a cab. We'll reimburse you.". So there you go, you now have transportation to and from the CFRC for your CFAT, medical, and interview. And then any trips to the CFRC after that are likely to be reimbursed. I mean, my local CFRC(which isn't really local) offered to put me up in a hotel the night before my CFAT, medical, and interview.

I don't know why parents have so much distrust in the CF. My family never tried to talk me out of it(in fact a certain uncle talked me into it), even when I was very upfront that I want to be in the Combat Arms. It's really odd(at least to me). Ah well.

You know, I never thought of taking a cab! Whether it's reimbursed or not, that's a good idea. As for family distrust, I'm pretty sure most parents' impressions of the Canadian Forces come from watching Vietnam War movies about the US Army in the 80s.

dustinm said:
... I'm pretty sure most parents' impressions of the Canadian Forces come from watching Vietnam War movies about the US Army in the 80s.

- Standard.  In fact, I'll bet most RECRUITS iin the 1980s got their impressions of the Canadian Forces from watching Vietnam War movies.

The best thing that can be done is to actually talk to your parents and find out why they're so against joining the military.  Are they worried about you being injured in combat?  Or killed?  Do they just not want you to leave home?  What sort of stigma are they carrying about the army?

It's already been mentioned that the idea of joining the Army comes from the Vietnam war movies.  Even today I'm sure people still think of the Basic Training in Full Metal Jacket or Rambo's rogue sprees in assessing all soldiers.  If they're worried about you being hurt or going through your training, then it's easy enough to tell them what you'll actually be going over in your training.  There's no hitting or punching like you'd see in some videos; you could instead focus on telling them about learning drill, gaining motivation, giving respect, and helping people across the world.

I'm having a hard time convincing my cat to let me join the CF.

HELP  :-[

Take your parents with you when you go down to the CFRC and talk to someone there.  Sit there with your parents and watch some of the videos.  Pick the Trades that you are interested in and watch those videos with them.  Ask questions on what the Application process will involve.  Ask what kind of Training you will have to do to earn a Trade.  Ask if there are any programs that will subsidize your education and give you a Trade.  Point out to your parents that the CF will pay you to get an education.  Point out that the CF is not the American military, nor the Chilean military, nor the Chinese, etc.  The CF is not the same as any other military.  We have our own military, with its own style, morals and ethics, etc.  Ask all those questions with your parents there.

Just to clear up a little point; you will have to bring in originals of the following documents:  Birth Certificate, Proof of Citizenship, SIN card, education Transcripts, and Photo ID.  Photocopies are not accepted unless they are "Certified True Copies".  The CFRC will photocopy your originals and return them to you.

I almost forgot. A good idea if you want to go Regular Force and convince your parents would be to sit down with them and show them the trade videos. On top of that, the new forces.ca flash site has videos on BMQ and BMOQ aswell as RMC. You could then supplement it with the reality series Basic Up(which follows some recruits as they go through the process).

I mean, all those videos highlight the really great things about the basic training and trades in the CF.

Good grief. If you are greater than 18 years of age, why does any convincing have to happen? I understand that you want them to support you, but you are not asking them to sign a permission slip so you can go on a field trip. Cut the cord & good luck!

Back