• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to Lose Friends and Alienate Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought of something...the fact that people ARE getting worked up over this and the fact that it has made the news in some areas shows that Canadians are becoming more and more in-tune with what the CF does and the 'support the troops' mentality continues to grow.

A decade ago, Canadians wouldn't have cared and maybe even would have laughed along with the joke that was made.

I agree re Canadians getting worked up and the reasons why.  For far too long, Canadian Forces have not got the respect and honor they are most entitled to - from Canadians.

I'm just sorry it took Afghanistan to do it.  I just remember growing up and talking to WW2/Korea veterans, and then - it was like no-one knew (my friends, etc). 

I've just been reading through the YouTube posts and came across one, written by Canadian (I think) that infers that it is a Peacekeeping Mission.  I  understand the term, but there is nothing Peaceful about Peacekeeping.

I agree with you though,

Anne

Piper said:
I just thought of something...the fact that people ARE getting worked up over this and the fact that it has made the news in some areas shows that Canadians are becoming more and more in-tune with what the CF does and the 'support the troops' mentality continues to grow.

A decade ago, Canadians wouldn't have cared and maybe even would have laughed along with the joke that was made.

Piper said:

Good point Piper.

I want you to know, I don't agree with mean-spirited, moronic Canadians bashing Americans, either. (And I sure don't have to go far from home to see examples of that!)

Canadians, have no right to claim any moral superiority.

A little good-natured teasing, I'm okay with from any culture both give and take.

But, I'll write back to anyone who puts down are our troops and denigrates the blood that's beening spilled to protect Canada, the USA and our allied efforts. :yellow:

Edit: leroi can't spell good

Who cares what a bunch of people on a garbage late night show say. They are on late night t.v. for a reason. This is going to be the biggest event in their t.v. career.

It looks like CTV has picked up on this and published a news story on it. It'll be interesting to see someone's comments later in the day.

[ur=l]CTV.ca[/url]
Fox host's comments insult Canada, strategist says
Updated Mon. Mar. 23 2009 8:23 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Comments made by a Fox News commentator criticizing the Canadian military for considering taking a year-long break when the Afghanistan mission ends in 2011 are "ignorant" and "insulting," says a Conservative strategist.

The controversial comments were made by Greg Gutfeld, host of "Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld," a round-table chat show that airs weekdays at 3 a.m. on Fox News.

During the episode that aired on Mar. 17, Gutfeld mocked Lt.-Gen. Andrew Leslie, chief of land staff, who suggested in early March that the military may need a year-long break in operations due to personnel and equipment shortages.

"Once their Afghan mission winds down sometime in 2011, certain members of the Canadian military are looking to take a much-deserved break. And by certain members I mean all of them," Gutfeld said.

"Meaning, the Canadian military wants to take a breather to do some yoga, paint landscapes, run on the beach in gorgeous white Capri pants."

Conservative strategist Geoff Norquay said Monday that the comments are insulting to Canadian soldiers and show that the host was ignorant of the fact that Canadian troops have been working hard in Afghanistan.

"What could anybody with common sense say about his kind of trash? It's ignorant, it's inappropriate, it's insulting," Norquay said during an interview on Canada AM. "It's insulting to the 116 Canadian troops who have given their lives and paid the supreme sacrifice while we've been in Afghanistan."

In the four-minute segment, Gutfeld asked the other three members of his panel: "Isn't this the perfect time to invade this ridiculous country? They have no army!"

Panelist Doug Benson, a comedian, replied: "I didn't even know they were in the war. I thought that's where you go when you don't want to fight. Go chill in Canada."

Norquay said Canadians understand irony, but the comments are nonetheless appalling.

"We recognize that some people see us as the kind of uber-friendly, peaceable kingdom north of the border," Norquay said. "But this goes a little bit too far."

While the controversial comments were made nearly a week ago, they have only come to light in Canada in recent days.

An outraged Canadian posted the clip from the show to YouTube with a comment that says, "Fox News belittles and mocks the Canadian military." It goes on to say: "These are the people who keep Americans up to date and mis-informed."

The controversy is growing just as Canada is mourning the loss of another four soldiers who were killed in Afghanistan.

On Friday, Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli, 28, Cpl. Tyler Crooks, 24, Trooper Jack Bouthillier, 20, and Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes, 22, were killed in two separate IED blasts that injured another five soldiers.

Their flag-draped caskets are expected to arrive at CFB Trenton around 2 p.m. on Monday.

Norquay said he hopes Canadians who subscribe to Fox News will cancel those subscriptions and that Canadian advertisers will cancel their business with the network.

I did a search and didn't see a discussion yet so if its a duplicate post please remove.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2009/03/23/redeye-soldiers-mocking.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJn5XlbSFk

The other commentator in the clip is a comedian who just happens to making a tour stop in Edmonton in the beginning of April at the Comic Strip. The timing couldn't be better and I think the military members posted in Edmonton should greet him properly and teach him some respect.

http://www.thecomicstrip.ca/comics_details.asp?ID=441

Fox News show raises ire by mocking Canadian Forces
Last Updated: Monday, March 23, 2009 | 10:42 AM ET CBC News
The intentionally inflammatory Fox News show Red Eye, with Greg Gutfield, has sparked outrage with a segment mocking the Canadian Forces within days of the latest Canadian deaths in Afghanistan.

The extreme late-night cultural commentary show — broadcast on Fox at 3 a.m. ET during the week — is hosted by Gutfield, a former Maxim and Stuff magazine editor, who moderates a round table of panelists who deliver off-the-cuff musings and crack jokes about a wide range of topics from the worlds of news, entertainment and sports. Commentators have included comedians, Fox News anchors, actors and Girls Gone Wild founder Joe Francis

a five-minute Red Eye segment broadcast last week, Gutfield mocked the Canadian Forces, noting Gen. Andrew Leslie's recent comment that the military may need a year to recover after Canada's mission in Afghanistan ends in 2011.

"Meaning, the Canadian military wants to take a breather to do some yoga, paint landscapes, run on the beach in gorgeous white Capri pants," Gutfield said.

"I didn't even know they were in the war," panellist and comedian Doug Benson added. "I thought that's where you go if you don't want to fight. Go chill in Canada."

The panellists continued by joking about invading Canada and poking fun at the RCMP.

On Friday, military officials announced that four more Canadian soldiers were killed and eight others were wounded in two separate roadside bomb blasts outside Kandahar, in southern Afghanistan.

The Red Eye segment has sparked outrage from a range of Canadians, including thousands of comments on YouTube and Facebook.

"Our soldiers are dying for them and they have the audacity and the ignorance … to say something like that, it is insulting. It's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard," Sam Warren told CBC after watching the segment.

The clip has also drawn criticism from Conservative author, columnist and commentator David Frum.

"The clip in question is a sequence of goofs about the feebleness, uselessness and absurdity of the Canadian armed forces. Why would I call that dumb? Here's why," Frum says on his New Majority.com blog before listing the Canadian soldiers, aid workers and a diplomat who have been killed in Afghanistan since 2002.

"Sorry I disrespected your show, Red Eye fans, but you disrespected the dead," Frum adds.

The Department of National Defence declined comment.

Thank you David Frum!

I guess the US won't be needing us to re-up in 2011 then...  I think the strongly worded letters would be best sent by US servicemen in Kandahar who will have to fill the gap when CF personnel are "kicking back"

civmick said:
I guess the US won't be needing us to re-up in 2011 then...  I think the strongly worded letters would be best sent by US servicemen in Kandahar who will have to fill the gap when CF personnel are "kicking back"

Oh for the love of all that is good and pure in this world.

Its a late night TV show.......not public policy.

::)

CDN Aviator said:
Oh for the love of all that is good and pure in this world.

Its a late night TV show.......not public policy.

::)

Which is why, every time someone news posts the link, it gets moved to Radio Chatter and added to this thread.

A post at The Torch:

Fox fools/Please staple Steve's lips
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/03/fox-foolsplease-staple-steves-lips.html

Mark
Ottawa

Wow!! I had mentioned that I am interested to read the comments on this item. I just checked and CTV.ca locked the comments 3 hours after publishing to article.

CDN Aviator is correct, this is not public policy, but some people are taking this seriously after reading those comments.

Like I always tell my kids.....

Just because someone says it does not mean it is true!!
If you know differently, don't worry about it.

The guys a bonehead, plain and simple.

The Canadian government is demanding an apology from FOX

"We want an apology from this so-called comedian and his panel. These are despicable, hurtful and ignorant comments. No one is laughing and they owe Canada, and more importantly the families of each one of our fallen heroes, an apology for their ill-informed mistakes," Dan Dugas, the spokesman for Defence Minister Peter MacKay, told Canwest News Service on Monday.

http://www.canada.com/news/story.html?id=1418836

logairoff said:
The Canadian government is demanding an apology from FOX

"We want an apology from this so-called comedian and his panel. These are despicable, hurtful and ignorant comments. No one is laughing and they owe Canada, and more importantly the families of each one of our fallen heroes, an apology for their ill-informed mistakes," Dan Dugas, the spokesman for Defence Minister Peter MacKay, told Canwest News Service on Monday.

http://www.canada.com/news/story.html?id=1418836

No matter how outraged we may be at this idiot/comedian/jackass/whatever; we sure are giving him a lot of PR.  We are giving him way more publicity than he deserves.

While I am not impressed with the Fox news' staff for having dissed the Cdn forces, I would suggest that Mr MacKay shouldn't hold his breath waiting for an appology - it won't come & if it came, it would be a whole lot of nothing coated in fancy words.

Too bad Fox didn't diss the Germans, Italians, Spaniards & all for their contribution in northern Afghanistan - at least the comments would match the (in)action of NATO partners.

geo said:
While I am not impressed with the Fox news' staff for having dissed the Cdn forces, I would suggest that Mr MacKay shouldn't hold his breath waiting for an appology - it won't come & if it came, it would be a whole lot of nothing coated in fancy words.

More likely it will just be fodder for a followup video.

Good Grief  ::) It must be a slow news day. The Globe and Mail has published a respone from Rick Mercer. In all honesty, it makes sense to do so with so many people comparing his style to FOX's clip.

GlobeandMail.com
Rick Mercer to Fox: Bullying is not satire
JESSICA LEEDER

Globe and Mail Update

March 23, 2009 at 1:17 PM EDT

Renowned comedian and political satirist Rick Mercer has a few words of advice for the Fox News panelists who incited the Canadian government to demand an apology for their mocking of the Canadian military.

“If you're going to do satire, three of the most important rules are you have to tell the truth, you can't be a bully and don't be an asshole,” said Mr. Mercer, who hosts his own show on CBC. “Being a bully is not satire.”

Mr. Mercer learned of the controversial comments, made by Greg Gutfeld, host of the late-night program Red Eye with Gret Gutfeld after fans of his program began inundating his inbox with clips of an episode that aired on March 17.

more at link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back