• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to Pack Sleeping Bags

Joe Blow

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi -

Pardon the question if you will ..just curious really.  When I see images of soldiers with their rucksacks it looks as if whatever is in the compression bag takes up about 1/3 of the load.

What the heck is in there, and is there anything commercial that you are aware of that would improve upon it ..load wise.

Thanks.

Army does not issue a compression bag.

The Valice, bag Sleeping (or whatever its called) is a terrible compression sack.  FWIW the Down Sleeping bags that are issued are not the most compacting either.

I much prefer the Bag Compression - MEC  ;D 
Seriosuly a 64 pattern Ruck with A7A straps will compress any load (but even then you can easily have a valice that is 1/2 the size of you ruck - extra ammo, etc)-- anyone using a 82 is just hurting themselves needessly

So, the only thing in there is a down sleeping bag?  It's huge!  (...but light weight?)

I understand that some personalization of kit is acceptable outside of garrison.  Is there a preferred alternative?  The folks hiking up Everest can't be hauling anything that huge.. (as an extreme ex.)

(Also ..my bad ..but I don't understand "FWIW")

Thanks,
Joe

For What its Worth - FWIW

Depending upon what your doing you may have a lot of extra stuff shoved in your valice. 

KevinB said:
Depending upon what your doing you may have a lot of extra stuff shoved in your valice.  
quite the understatement, there.

Not everyone is cool like us though  ;)

Some actually think that #35lbs is a tough ruck load...  ::)

Joe Blow said:
So, the only thing in there is a down sleeping bag?   It's huge!   (...but light weight?)

That's not the only thing you may have in your valice. Depending on the time of year you may have 2 sleeping bags (inner and outer), a ground sheet, a ranger blanket and whatever else your heart may desire.
I'm in the market right now for the Snugpak sleeping bag which compresses to about 1/3 the size of the issued sleeping bags and is good to -30 below zero, with that and your bivi bag that's all you should need. Oh yeah I forgot the bivi bag in there too, a great piece of kit.

GerryCan said:
That's not the only thing you may have in your valice. Depending on the time of year you may have 2 sleeping bags (inner and outer), a ground sheet, a ranger blanket and whatever else your heart may desire.
I'm in the market right now for the Snugpak sleeping bag which compresses to about 1/3 the size of the issued sleeping bags and is good to -30 below zero, with that and your bivi bag that's all you should need. Oh yeah I forgot the bivi bag in there too, a great piece of kit.

Rations - Ammo - POL - batteries - AMMO - AMMO - Rations....

and depending on how retarded your sub unit is - shaving kit - towel - shower sandals - bug bar .......

Don't forget your combat jacket! Whoever designed the bugout kit list for the military definitely forgot that we need a place for AMMO and rations. Op Apollo involved rucksacks filled with AMMO, rations, WATER and maybe some spare socks or other lightweight Gucci kit. Bugout kit lists in the battalion are a waste of time! :threat:

2 Cdo please tell that to the CSM's.   Seriously.

don't forget your black betty.

I'm sure Kev has bivi bag shelter that you pull out and springs into its formed shape.   lol

CFL said:
I'm sure Kev has bivi bag shelter that you pull out and springs into its formed shape.  lol

Lol! Does it light the coleman - excuse me, Whisperlite - and cook your rats for you too?  ;D

Cheers,
Pinky

KevinB said:
Rations - Ammo - POL - batteries - AMMO - AMMO - Rations....

No room for that stuff Kevin, just the kitchen sink...and maybe my cbt jacket ;)

35 lbs? hell our own personal peice of pole, telephone weighed more then that.  sense of homur... CLS =  "Combat Load Simulator" strapped to a bloody Alice Pack. that and running in a gas mask....

Sometimes I think USMC stands for Uncle Sams Machocisit Children

Oh well better then the ROK Marines, they didn't call them ROK's for nothing, lil suckers went everywhere with a pack full of rocks, and at a running pace too, glad they're on our side.

haha I like that comment "Light weight" in reference to the Issue sleeping bag!  sure thier light as compare to a base plate for a 81mm
or a 4-duce..... oh shite they don't call them "heavy weapons" for giggles and grins....

The Valice - A sack for the sleeping bag and whatever else you think you need.

..always wondered about that.  Thx for the word gents.  :salute:

It sounds like you have pretty wide latitude when deciding what you might want to bring with you.. depending upon the retardation factor of your sub unit. ..Shower sandals? ..Really?

Pappy I met the ROK Marines back in 73 in Inchon when Martial Law was the order of the day and say no more.

Joe Blow said:
It sounds like you have pretty wide latitude when deciding what you might want to bring with you.. depending upon the retardation factor of your sub unit. ..Shower sandals? ..Really?

They always tell us to wear sandals in the showers so we don't get athlete's foot. And yes, some units actually make you shave on a weekend exercise... What a load of crap. If i'm on tour, fine, I'll shave. But when I'm out for less than 48 hours I see no point in wasting time removing a little stubble at the cost of precious time during which we could actually do some useful training.

Cheers,
Pinky

Pte.Pinky said:
They always tell us to wear sandals in the showers so we don't get athlete's foot. And yes, some units actually make you shave on a weekend exercise... What a load of crap. If i'm on tour, fine, I'll shave. But when I'm out for less than 48 hours I see no point in wasting time removing a little stubble at the cost of precious time during which we could actually do some useful training.

Cheers,
Pinky

It's called hygiene.  If you can't take care of yourself for less than 48 hours how do you expect to do it for six months?  Besides, how much "useful" training are you really missing out on in the 2 minutes it takes you to shave?

So are you telling me you think shaving on a weekend ex is completely necessary and provides a valuable lesson for troops?

It may provide a valuable lesson to some troops...some people out there are dirty billies and won't take care of themselves unless they're told to. Me, I've never been to field and not had to shave, not in basic, battle school or in battalion, or on tour for that matter. I'm not sure what your unit does as all are different, but it's not a habit I'd fall into. Yeah it's a pain in the ass that we all know, but does it take up that much of your time?

Back