• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al1212

Inactive
Reaction score
How to quit

As far as the reserves go how hard is it to quit?  Let’s say for example you are on BMQ and one realizes this is not what one wants to be doing.  What are the procedures or restrictions about quitting and possible repercussions.  I am asking this because I was told many urban legends about how once you’re in you can’t get out and that they make it difficult for people to leave.  ???

Al1212 said:
How to quit

As far as the reserves go how hard is it to quit?  Let’s say for example you are on BMQ and one realizes this is not what one wants to be doing.  What are the procedures or restrictions about quitting and possible repercussions.  I am asking this because I was told many urban legends about how once you’re in you can’t get out and that they make it difficult for people to leave.  ???

You inform your chain of command.  You will then be counselled by your platoon commander or platoon WO to make sure you're not making a rash decision, and discuss your options.  If you really want to go, they let you go.  When they tell you to bring your kit in, you bring it in. All of it. Then you're released. If you don't bring your kit in, you risk a dishonourable discharge (5(f) release).

It is very easy to leave the Reserves as long as you bring in all your kit when you do so.  If you on a BMQ during the summer somewhere (Meaford, Wainwright etc) it can take a little while for your request to be approved and all the arrangements made, but we don't keep people who do not want to stay (unless they are in jail).

I suppose its good to have an exit strategy, but think postitive.

Best of luck,

2B

p.s. If you do go away for summer training and decide that you miss home and want to quit don't run away in the middle of the night.  This isn't Running Man. 

What about Regular Force? How hard is it to quit that after you've signed a five year contract?

At least finish BMQ before quitting.
I wouldn't want to tell the interviewer for my future job that I didn't even finish the basic training before quitting.

Al1212 - While on Res F BMQ look for a bell in front of the instructors' quarter and when you are ready to leave just ring it.  Oh wait that is a movie I saw. Follow the advice of MD and 2Bravo and you will be fine but try to stick it out as you won't regret it.

misfit - before BMQ very easy call the CFRC/D, during BMQ just put your hand up (simplified version of put a memo in) and after BMQ and before QL 3 again put your hand up.  After QL3 get comfortable because you are staying for the duration of the contract.

remember, you've signed a "CONTRACT".  Contracts are binding and enforceable.

Pay attention to all the above points.  As already mentioned, usually one will have to submit a memo to be actioned by 'Higher' stating your reasons for 'requesting' a Release.  That means you will have to learn how to write a memo.  It is easier to get out of the Reserves than the Regular Force.  If you want out of either one, you will have to turn in all your kit; or pay top dollar for what you don't (It will be deducted from your pay or sent to Revenue Canada for recouping.).  In the Regular Force, if you run away - go AWOL, you will be sent to jail.  In the Reserves the same will happen if you are employed on a Concentration or Course. 

Remember the Contract that you signed.  In the Reg Force, if you signed a contract for three years, just guess how long it will take for them to process your Release?

OK thanks. I was just wondering what would happen if, for example,  two years down the road after QL3 is completed and I want out of the contract. I realise that it is a contract and I am bound to it...but I was wondering what the consequences would be.

Maybe there should be a question on the application that says: how many things in your life have you quit before you fulfilled your obligation? Include promises made to friends and family that you didn't follow through on; jobs; sports or other activities and anything else you quit. Explain in detail your reasons.

I'll bet most of the poor folks who didn't understand it wasn't going to be a cakewalk could be weeded out right there because most of them will not accept personal responsibility for being quitters. Sure as sh*t  rolls downhill, it'll all be someone else's fault.

The best way to get out of the forces during basic training IMO is to either VR or be so flippin incompetent they boot your sorry ass out. And if you do either of those on purpose then I don't want to work with you anyways. I also don't want to support you through social programs, but that's another rant entirely.

/end rant

If you get in reg. force and change your mind, can I have your place?
Seriously though, decide first, then go Reg.  What the army is like is no secret.

misfit said:
OK thanks. I was just wondering what would happen if, for example,  two years down the road after QL3 is completed and I want out of the contract.
You go to your BOR and you try to comprehend why they are laughing hysterically. After they calm down they tell your contract still has x number of years (as the shortest contract is 3 years, you would have at least 1 year left, or slighty under anyway), and to go back to the shacks and stop wasting their time.
I realise that it is a contract and I am bound to it...
  So Why ask the question about breaking it?
but I was wondering what the consequences would be.
Not good, can you say "Would you like to Biggie Size that?" for the next 20 years.

You MAY be released before the end of you contract under serious extenuating circumstances, like you have to take care of family member because of death/severe illness/injury in the family.  You have a complete psychological meltdown, after coming back from a tour, or you become severly injured and are no longer employable in any fashion. These are a few reasons, I am sure there are others, but the point is THINK before signing that dotted line because in all likelihood you won't be going anywhere.

Well, I won't be quitting so NO you can't have my spot.  :rage: I'm sorry I even mentioned it.

You must have some reason for mentioning it. If you are not thinking of quitting, why bring it up? The thought must have passed your mind at one time. If military life is not for you, don't stay. You will be miserable, which is not good for those that you have to work with.

Don't say sorry, Sorry is a sign of weakness....

There!  A taste of how instructors speak...well at leaste we used to...

dileas

tess

SupersonicMax said:
I think that sorry is more a sign of responsability.

Max

I guess the sarcasm was not that obvious....

Thanks for the input....I think actions, not words show responsibility...but let's not hijack the thread.

dileas

tess

GUNS said:
You must have some reason for mentioning it. If you are not thinking of quitting, why bring it up? The thought must have passed your mind at one time. If military life is not for you, don't stay. You will be miserable, which is not good for those that you have to work with.

Don't stay? I haven't even started yet. It was more of a hypothetical question. I don't plan on quitting and I can't wait to start BMQ.

As a reservist quitting isn't very difficult.

I was about to do my BMQ and really started questionning my reasons to join. I made a decision of deciding I would try BMQ and leave if I didn't like it. Later I decided I was better off not going at all. Eventually I called my unit and asked them for a VR. If you're even considering quitting, think about what you're getting into. I made the mistake of not being honest with myself, and here I am, a very few days before leaving for BMQ, getting a VR. Luckily, I do not think I will be punished as I haven't undergone any training, I just have to return my kit. I feel like I've wasted their time, and even though I've been pushing this thing for a good year, I'm still not ready for it. Just be well informed of what you're getting into, if you even think of quitting, take a step back and look over all you've done and will be doing. Joining the Canadian Forces is not a decision that should be taken lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back