• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hurricane Relief

Under those assumptions we should write off Calgary, which will likely be washed away by the Bow/Elbow rivers at some point in the (maybe not so distant) future ...
Or the exact opposite. Once the glaciers and snowpack goes away, they could end up looking like 'rivers' in Phoenix.

Hell evacuate ALL of Grey, Bruce and Simcoe Counties here in Ontario, we get massive dumps of lake effect (NOT climate change) snow every winter and sometimes in mega blizzards that bury highways for weeks at a time. WE potentially save lives and a bundle on not having snow removal.
Then evacuate all the interior BC and western Alberta since modern governments are afraid to burn or chop a few trees down and we don't more fires.
Wait a minute, how bad was the ice storm along Ontario and Quebec? Haven't they had more ice storms since then? OK, pack it up gang, time to move.
Whoa, hold the phone, doesn't Saskatchewan suffer droughts some times? Get those farmers outta there.

Saying people shouldn't live in Florida is ridiculous. Now taking preventative measures (including costly insurance) is a different story.

After about 30 years in north Simcoe county, and before that on the western shore of Lake Superior, where blowing the driveway twice in one day is not uncommon, I am quite happy to no longer live in an area of lake effect snow.

While not the highest point in Florida, which is Britton Hill, I've been a frequent visitor and picnicker at Bok Tower which is almost as high. Every time I think of it I can almost smell the scent of the orange groves spread out below. One thing that I find amusing is that there are buildings in Florida that are considerably higher than these hills (even when you add in the 200' tower at Bok).

:giggle:
Something like that was always a standing joke among search and rescue crews in southwestern Ontario, where the height of land is usually a 401 overpass. First response for a missing person - get on the PA and yell 'stand up'.

Florida building codes are pretty decent. Most homes are either block or poured concrete, it’s nigh impossible to build a wood framed structure anymore.

The issue is going to be insurance, at some point it will become too costly to ensure some areas IF the homes/buildings aren’t build to to account for the issues — as noted rates have dropped for a lot of people in Fl, simply as structures continue to be fortified against these storms.

It is virtually impossible to find a basement in Florida given the water table, and most in threat flood areas already don’t have a ground floor dwelling.

If you look at a lot of Hurricane destruction over the past years, Florida even though it tends to take the brunt, the major of damage (and lost lives) are in other states — due to the lesser building codes.

Less and less people evacuate each year, as either real or imagined the preparedness is higher.
Another forum I haunt has several members from the US south, including Florida and Texas. What some of them are having to pay for property insurance is beyond comprehension for most of us; five figures is not uncommon with lots of exclusions. That's if they don't get a letter saying their coverage is being cancelled.

It's not politicians that will force a response to climate change, it's insurers.
Yep.

Plenty of places here made insurance claims in 2017 after the flood. Rebuilt and repaired. Costs got way to high and some could no longer get flood insurance after.

During 2019 flood some homes mysteriously caught fire because although they couldn’t get flood insurance, they cou” get fire insurance…

And strangely where I live in Ottawa I can’t get flood insurance because of a creek/watershed area nearby.

After about 30 years in north Simcoe county, and before that on the western shore of Lake Superior, where blowing the driveway twice in one day is not uncommon, I am quite happy to no longer live in an area of lake effect snow.
Lived on the shores of Lake Erie near Blenheim for five years. When the lake is still not frozen but the temperature is below zero and the wind comes up and drives 10 foot waves at the house (all two stories of it) would be sheeted in brown ice. Luckily it was in an area where lake effect snow was almost unheard of. Snow was rare except for one winter when the lake froze and a lot of drifting came in - nothing even close to what Simcoe county would get.

Another forum I haunt has several members from the US south, including Florida and Texas. What some of them are having to pay for property insurance is beyond comprehension for most of us; five figures is not uncommon with lots of exclusions. That's if they don't get a letter saying their coverage is being cancelled.
I recall one of the years that Grand Forks, ND was flooded - a lot of fires during that. Flood insurance is getting harder and harder to get.

🍻

Last edited:
It's not politicians that will force a response to climate change, it's insurers.
Follow the work of Dr Patrick Moore, Dr Happer and Dr Koonin (actually there is a whole list of physicist, chemist, etc) who will tell you you can pay ALL the money in the world or none of it all, its not going to affect climate. You can even wave a magic wand and eliminate all combustion engines, coal plants and gas plants, and your only making an .1-.8% difference in Atmospheric carbon. Many of these prominent physicist have been claiming Michael Mann sensationalist and downright BS hockey graph chart triggered a massive wave of panic pointing in the wrong direction.

Enough of blaming tornados, hurricanes, forest fires on people driving cars.

Back