• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hurry Up..And Wait!! - Application Process Update

haha yeah, goin' to the doc's monday morning so it'll be in the mail for them by monday afternoon.
I'm so pumped! I'll update when I get the call (hopefully soon).
Luker.

LukerB said:
haha yeah, goin' to the doc's monday morning so it'll be in the mail for them by monday afternoon.
I'm so pumped! I'll update when I get the call (hopefully soon).
Luker.

You never know. You might get a call sooner than expected!! Keep positive man!

Well, I've been in the process for about a month and a half now and just got another email from the Captain this morning, so I figured I'd share with everyone how the process has been for me so far..

Just a little background. I WAS a Police Foundations Student (Graduated at the end of December, 2008) and I have applied to the Infantry, PPCLI to be exact!

December 5th/08 - Wrote the CFAT. Was told that the medicals/Interviews were full for the day, and I would have to schedule another day to do my interview + medical. These were rescheduled on this day for December 11th/08

December 11th/08 - Did part one of the medical, had 20/20 vision and everything was great. From there I did my interview while I was waiting for part 2 of my medical. I went in there with fairly good knowledge of where I wanted to go and what the job would require of me. I was told by the Captain that my interview went really well, I actually qualified for Officer even though they only had a highschool education in my file. (I hadn't been able to get my College transcripts to them yet). She said I did well on my CFAT and I had great knowledge of the job I was applying for.
After this, of course, I had part two of my medical. It went really well, except that I was told I was a binge drinker (4 or more beers in a 24 hour period.. he explained to me that he gives a lot of college students the binge drinker speech haha). He also did not seem impressed with my tattoo on my ribs (3 big stars..but made out of broken guns.) I got one for each one of my family members, but he just didn't like the broken guns and kept asking me what they meant.
I also have an apparent "bee sting allergy" and was given a form to take to my doctor and mail it to the medical office in Ottawa so they could add it to my file and review it.

December 17th/08 - Took my medical form to my doctor who filled it out and mentioned I had been stung several times and never had to use my Epi-Pen, but that it "wouldn't hurt" to carry one with me. I then went home and mailed the letter express post with the tracking # so I could find out when it got to Ottawa.

December 19th/08 - Tracking # says that the letter has been received in Ottawa. I decide to email the captain that morning and ask her what the next step was and to make sure that it was added to my file. Also asked about how to get my College Transcripts to her.

December 22nd/08 - The Captain e-mails me to inform me that the form was added to my file and it will be under review in Ottawa once everyone is back from Christmas break.

January 16th/09 - Finally got a hold of my college transcripts and brought them into the recruiting office. The recruiter at the front desk was very helpful and added the transcripts to my file for me.

January 19th/09 - Decided to email the captain and let her know that I submitted my college transcripts. Also asked her if she had an update on where my file was at this point.

January 20th/09 - The captain thanked me for submitting my college transcripts and that it would give me yet another leg up for getting into the Infantry. She told me that my medical file is still waiting to be reviewed by someone in Ottawa and that...here's the hump in the road... it could take up to SIX WEEKS for someone to even look at my file. Now, I don't know if this means six weeks from now or six weeks from when it was received in Ottawa, but now I am officially playing the waiting game. There is nothing else for me to do but wait for that call! Though, the Captain was very nice and told me that she would check my file frequently and be able to email me about a week before I would get the call to let me know.

So, needless to say I am very anxious/nervous/excited to get the call. I can't wait to be a part of the CF family and I will certainly update when I find out what day I start BMQ  :)

All the best,
Luke.

Get used to playing the hurry up and wait game in the military.

Best of luck to you......it's worth the wait (sometimes >:D)

It's better that she gave you such a large time frame for your medical to be complete. Being given a shorter time frame is a lot more disappointing when they just line you up with another at the end. With the 6 week limit at least now if she calls you before it ends, it will be a lot more exciting.

Good luck

LukerB said:
January 21st/09 - Decided to email the captain and let her know that I submitted my college transcripts. Also asked her if she had an update on where my file was at this point.

January 22nd/09 - The captain thanked me for submitting my college transcripts and that it would give me yet another leg up for getting into the Infantry. She told me that my medical file is still waiting to be reviewed by someone in Ottawa and that...here's the hump in the road... it could take up to SIX WEEKS for someone to even look at my file. Now, I don't know if this means six weeks from now or six weeks from when it was received in Ottawa, but now I am officially playing the waiting game. There is nothing else for me to do but wait for that call! Though, the Captain was very nice and told me that she would check my file frequently and be able to email me about a week before I would get the call to let me know.

So, needless to say I am very anxious/nervous/excited to get the call. I can't wait to be a part of the CF family and I will certainly update when I find out what day I start BMQ  :)

All the best,
Luke.

I'm confused - the 21 and 22 Jan haven't happened yet.

The most logical answer would be that Luker is a practiced and naturally gifted fortune teller. The only reason he does not know exactly when he may get his job offer is because he acknowledges the fact that it would spoil the whole excitement and surprise of this event.

Although others may believe he just happened to write down the wrong date.

Indeed.  ;D  I mean, I've lost a day before, I've just never GAINED two.

haha, my apologies guys. I meant the 19th and 20th of January. Don't know how I mixed that up ::)

Also, very good way of looking at it. If I get called earlier then six weeks from now, I'll be that much more excited! I'm just really really anxious to get the ball rolling. I can't wait to start my career  :)

you'll prob get a call before then. I know they had told me it was going to be 6months for my security clearance but they ended up calling three months later. I was friggin happy as a pig in s***

Well thats very motivating to hear! I certainly hope I get a call much sooner then 6 weeks from now, but I don't want to get my hopes up and be dissapointed.
On a side note, and not to make this sound the wrong way, but if it's taking a college graduate in Police Foundations this long to get through the process, is it usually much longer for some people just with a highschool diploma to get into the Infantry?
And what about other trades? I can only imagine how long jobs with much more training and competition would take...

On a side note, and not to make this sound the wrong way, but if it's taking a college graduate in Police Foundations this long to get through the process, is it usually much longer for some people just with a highschool diploma to get into the Infantry?

I am by far not an expert on this, but from doing a fair bit of reading on the subject I am of the understanding that except for very special circumstances applications are processed in a fairly equivalent manner. The only time your education is going to have an effect on the process once you're above minimum standards is when you hit the merit list. Again, just to cover my ***, this is just my understanding from what I've read.

Seems like a fair response that makesense to me, Headlamp.  In fact, now that I've thought about it more I remember the Captain telling me in my interview that it would come to an advantage of me mostly in the situation of advancing in the infantry. For example, if I were competing for a job with another Infanteer who only had a highschool education, then I might be considered before him/her due to my College education. I believe that's what she was talking about.

yup
waitins a bi***
weve all been through it at some point in time
good luck lad  hang tough...
              best regards,,,
                  scoty b

Fair enough, Thanks wingman!
I'll update when I get the call.. hopefully sooner rather then later  ;)

And the waiting continues..
As posted in a previous thread, I've had my application in for the Infantry since early December. I have been waiting to be "deemed medically fit" since around the 20th of December after completing my medical, CFAT and interview.. and getting the necessary paperwork in to go to Ottawa.
The medical form I needed has been in Ottawa since the 22nd of December, as i had it couriered with a tracking number so I would know when it was received.
The Captain who interviewed me informed me a couple of weeks ago that it can take up to six weeks for a medical file such as mine to go through in Ottawa before I can get a job offer.
But still, no job offer.
I went into the recruiting center three days ago to get an update on where my file was. I was informed that it was still in Ottawa and it had not yet been looked at to confirm whether or not I am "Medically Fit".
My question to anyone out there is, has anyone ever had to go through this process because of a bee-sting allergy as well? On the form I took to my family doctor, he mentioned that I have been stung close to 15 times before and never had to use my Epi-Pen but that it "wouldn't hurt" to have one on me, just in case..
Has this process taken this long for anyone else? Or am I just jumping the gun and my file probably just hasn't been looked at yet?
If anyone has any info.. or any encouraging words for a guy who just wants to do his part, feel free to comment!
Thanks,
Luke.

I'm sure other people have been through your situation before, you just need to try and be patient and keep in touch with the recruiting centre.  Again, we're not doctors here and cannot answer medical questions.

Why do you keep starting new topics and not just post here or here or here or here?

Mods, perhaps a merge is in order?

Back