• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hurry Up..And Wait!! - Application Process Update

LukerB

Inactive
Reaction score
So I've officially started the process! I took my application package in today and got everything finalized. I am happy to report that I will be writing my aptitude test and doing my physical at my Barrie recruiting center on December 1st! I'm so excited to finally get the ball rolling. I'm hoping if I do well enough on the aptitude I'll be gone to basic by the end of January or so. I can't believe that I'm finally doing this after thinking about it and planning for almost a year. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders as I'll soon have completed Police Foundations at Georgian College (in December) and on my way to a rewarding career with the military. I'm finally going to feel like I can accomplish something really demanding in my life and serve my country as best as I can. But most of all, be proud and confident with myself!
The recruiter asked me what regiment I would like to be a part of; I was unaware that I needed to tell him during the application process as I thought they asked you after or near the end of basic training. When I told him PPCLI he almost tested me a little by asking me where their Battalions were stationed. I responded with 1st Battallion Edmonton, 2nd Battallion Manitoba, and 3rd Battallion Edmonton. I thought some people may want to know this information before they take their applications in. I think they want to make sure you've done your research and aren't just applying on a whim.
I will update everyone after I take my test on December 1st but I couldn't resist posting as I'm so incrdibly excited! Infantry here I come!  :cdn:
*To be continued...*

Luker.

Good luck!  I'm waiting on transcripts now, have one more Dr appt to make and coordinating my references.  I should be dropping my app off probably by the end of the month.

Good luck Luker. Hopefully you'll have a fairly speedy process and get on your way quickly.

Lil_T said:
Good luck!  I'm waiting on transcripts now, have one more Dr appt to make and coordinating my references.  I should be dropping my app off probably by the end of the month.

May be a stupid question but why a doctors appointment?

Not a stupid question at all.

I'm (mildly) asthmatic and I have to discuss /schedule a pulmonary function test and/or methacholine challenge as kind of a pre-emptive measure before I go in for my medical.  Haven't used any meds in over a year now and have only had a slight wheeze once (with the flu).  It's more for my own peace of mind than anything else.  My Dr has already stated he would write me a clean bill of health, but I want to discuss this further if there is a possibility of it being an issue.

hey Lil_T, do a PFT first and if it turns out OK, it should be sufficient.  I took a copy of the PFT report during my medical and they never asked me about it ever again. Oh, also my family doctor had to sign a form as well..no biggie. Good luck.

ahh thank you SO much!!  I was kind of dreading the methacholine challenge.  I think I'll do fine on the PFT - my peak flows are always in the green.  And since I've been working out so much lately, they're going even higher!  Your input is much appreciated.

Hey Everyone!

So yesterday at the Barrie recruiting center I FINALLY wrote my CFAT. It went generally great though I must say that I haven't done that kind of math since highschool (almost 3 years ago) and found some of the problems challenging, but overall I think I did quite well and was pleased with how the test is set up. I like that someone speaks to you on-screen and walks you through each section of the test and was very pleased with how everything was set up!
(If this is too much detail to write about the test, I apologize and will gladly delete any information if necessary.)

I was supposed to do my medical yesterday but they ran out of spots. So, tomorrow morning at 8:30am I go back to do my medical AND my interview which I am very excited about. A little stressed as right now I'm trying to balance some college assignments and preparing for the interview, but overall I'm still very excited.

I just had two quesions that I was hoping someone can answer for me.
1.As I was unaware that I needed to place which regiment I would like to be with on my application, when I took it in I was asked on the spot by the recruiter and just said PPCLI (he told me he just had to put something and that it wasn't a big deal as they'd ask me again at the end of BMQ). Now I'm a little worried about it because recently both of my grandparents who reside in Ontario with the rest of my family have fallen quite ill. I have been taking care of them for the past 3 years doing things that they themselves cannot do anymore, and was hoping that it would be possible to ask for the RCR instead. Is there any way to go about this? It is not that I wouldn't mind going to the PPCLI as I have friends stationed in Alberta already, it is just basically for family reasons.
2. Meaford Ontario - Can you be stationed here? From my understanding this was only a training facility for the RCR and you would be stationed, after training, at one of threee battalions in Petewawa or New Brunswick. But I thought I remembered the recruiter in Barrie telling me that Meaford was an option for Infantry to be stationed?

If anyone has the answer for this that would be great. Like I said, I am more then willing to stick with my first choice as part of the reason I joined the military was to go away and see/experience new things. But due to the recent circumstances I am considering asking to stay within Ontario and becoming a member of the RCR.

Thanks in advance,
Luke.

Hey Luker, I sent you a PM with a couple thoughts, but I also found this link http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25214.0.html

It's huge.. tons of information and it will probably help you out. It helped me for my decision.

Cheers!

Thanks! I got your msg and PM'd you back, you outlined everything I asked really well so thanks again! Now I just have a decision to make haha.

You can change it anytime however doing so at the interview is best as it will be recorded by the MCC. Review the on line lifestyle video before the interview it will help.  Good Luck.

CFR FCS

It's on the www.forces.ca web page. Look up the occupation INFMN http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=031&bhcp=1# and click on the media clip. Also look over the monograph info sheet.

CFR FCS

I see what you mean now. I've looked over these several times, thank's for your help yet again!
Luke.

Hello Everyone,

So this week I have completed my aptitude test, medical and interview. I just got home from the medical and interview and have had a pretty good experience so far with the process.
I wrote my aptitude on Monday and was pretty confident that I did well with it even though I had been worried prior to the test about the math (I've never faired well with math).
Today I had both parts of my medical and my interview which all went quite well. My vision and hearing were fine, everything that checked in great and I was good to go. The only thing that worried me was when we got to my alcohol consumption. I informed the medic that I drink about 12 beers in 1 night twice a month (one day, every other weekend). Makes sense right? You go to a party or to the bars and get your drink on with your buddies.
Then my stomach dropped when he put his pen down and proceded to tell me that this was binge drinking. I'm thinking great, did I just screw up my chances? After he explained to me what binge drinking can do to your system, I asked him if this was going to effect my enrollment in any way. He said no, the information he gave me was for my own personal health info. So that was reassuring, I'm assuming there are a lot of binge drinkers out there as he told me that 4 or more beers in a 24 hour period is considered binge drinking haha.
So that was really my only scare, the interview went well and I was actually informed that in combination with my test scores, highschool grades AND the fact that I will soon have a college degree in police foundations (in 2 weeks i graduate), I actually qualified for an Officer position as opposed to just NCM Infantry. I was pleased with this but will be sticking with my first choice.
All I have to do now is get a doc's note about my Bee Sting allergie and mail it to them so they can send my folder to Ottawa and that's it! All that's left to do after that is wait for the call.
I was very pleased with everything and the process has been going quite smoothe for me so far. I can't wait to get the call and get started in my new career, I couldn't ask for anything better!  :cdn:  :salute:
Luke.

Congratulations. Hope it pans out well for you. Time to wait and be patient and remain positive.  8)

On my substance sheet I wrote I currently drink about 24 beers/month, and from the 6-years-ago mark up until about last year about 48 beers/month.  I never really drank anything else but the total number of drinks consumed was quite a scary number.  Also the total number of times I've smoked marijuana was also a relatively high number but haven't touch the stuff for ages.  My only concern right now is that might delay my application process due to health reasons,  as the desire to smoke or drink more just isn't there.
It's nice to hear that it's probably not going to interfere with joining, but rather for personal gain.

LukerB said:
Hello Everyone,

So this week I have completed my aptitude test, medical and interview. I just got home from the medical and interview and have had a pretty good experience so far with the process.
I wrote my aptitude on Monday and was pretty confident that I did well with it even though I had been worried prior to the test about the math (I've never faired well with math).
Today I had both parts of my medical and my interview which all went quite well. My vision and hearing were fine, everything that checked in great and I was good to go. The only thing that worried me was when we got to my alcohol consumption. I informed the medic that I drink about 12 beers in 1 night twice a month (one day, every other weekend). Makes sense right? You go to a party or to the bars and get your drink on with your buddies.
Then my stomach dropped when he put his pen down and proceded to tell me that this was binge drinking. I'm thinking great, did I just screw up my chances? After he explained to me what binge drinking can do to your system, I asked him if this was going to effect my enrollment in any way. He said no, the information he gave me was for my own personal health info. So that was reassuring, I'm assuming there are a lot of binge drinkers out there as he told me that 4 or more beers in a 24 hour period is considered binge drinking haha.
So that was really my only scare, the interview went well and I was actually informed that in combination with my test scores, highschool grades AND the fact that I will soon have a college degree in police foundations (in 2 weeks i graduate), I actually qualified for an Officer position as opposed to just NCM Infantry. I was pleased with this but will be sticking with my first choice.
All I have to do now is get a doc's note about my Bee Sting allergie and mail it to them so they can send my folder to Ottawa and that's it! All that's left to do after that is wait for the call.
I was very pleased with everything and the process has been going quite smoothe for me so far. I can't wait to get the call and get started in my new career, I couldn't ask for anything better!  :cdn:  :salute:
Luke.

So you are applying NCM I take it? Get your medical forms back ASAP because it can take quite awhile (2-5weeks) and thats not including the factors of the holiday season coming up. (But I guess you have no deadline if you are going NCM and not Officer).

Aside from that, you seem well on your way. Good luck in the future!

Yes the Pilot who conducted my interview really stressed getting my doctor's note about the bee sting/Epipen allergie in as soon as I possibly can.
She was nice enough to give me her card and told me to call her once I mail it. She explained that if I do this she can check the computer for me on a regular basis as opposed to waiting for Ottawa to send her a letter saying that I am a chosen candidate and she'll be able to offer me a job up to two months earlier.
Something really nice to hear when I've heard all of the stories about how long people have waited on these forums.
But overall, I'm just excited that I've gotten pretty much everything done and can't wait for the call!

LukerB said:
Yes the Pilot who conducted my interview really stressed getting my doctor's note about the bee sting/Epipen allergie in as soon as I possibly can.
She was nice enough to give me her card and told me to call her once I mail it. She explained that if I do this she can check the computer for me on a regular basis as opposed to waiting for Ottawa to send her a letter saying that I am a chosen candidate and she'll be able to offer me a job up to two months earlier.
Something really nice to hear when I've heard all of the stories about how long people have waited on these forums.
But overall, I'm just excited that I've gotten pretty much everything done and can't wait for the call!

Good. The interviewer stressed the same to be about anything medical. Luckily it ended up I did not need to though so I finalized early.

And yeah, It's a good feeling to get it all done. I am now just stressing over some University applications for my ROTP has more options haha.

Hopefully you get it back ASAP so you do not have that in the back of your head all the time ;) good luck again.

Back