• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I am really confused

bomber12

Inactive
Reaction score
I am in the middle of the application process for infantry and my confusion comes from what happens after basic. From what I have in my head is that you do all training then get sent to your unit and work with that unit the rest of your time in the CF.
I have read alot and now it seem that personnel can get sent to work with different units or do you stay with your unit? I am confused on how that works.  Also as infantry do they get to drive the LAV's?

When you join reg force Infantry you will be in one of the three regiments (PPCLI, The RCR, R22ER).  You will usually stay as a member of that regiment for the entire time you are Infantry.  As a member of a regiment you will after your trades training be assigned to a BN.  After some time in the BN you might get posted out to other units or Schools but you remain a member of that Regiment.

As for driving a LAV that is one of the courses that you could get qualified on after your Basic training.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Ok thank you. I was just curious. Basic will teach everything about this kind of stuff right? I know the very basics of what its like to be in the military and I know what is required of an infantry soldier. One thing though, what does BN stand for?

Being a civilian, I got to the fist page, look under the box for the quote of the day,
went to the military terms database, which incline me to say :

"Bn : Battalion"

All basic is really designed to do is transform you from a civilian, to a member of the CF. Drill, dress and Deportment.

A Mcpl at battleschool once said to a group of us "congradulations, you passed basic, you now know how to put on a uniform" "we will teach you how to become a soldier"

Lots of people think you join the army and you go to basic and you're trained.

You do basic which like it was said above, you learn to become a CF member, not a civvy. You then go to soldier qualification (BMQL) which you learn the basics of being a combat soldier (shoot some cool guns, nav, defensive/offensive positions) you then go to BIQ where you learn to become a infantry soldier. After that you go to your regiment.

Kevin_M said:
Lots of people think you join the army and you go to basic and you're trained.

You do basic which like it was said above, you learn to become a CF member, not a civvy. You then go to soldier qualification (BMQL) which you learn the basics of being a combat soldier (shoot some cool guns, nav, defensive/offensive positions) you then go to BIQ where you learn to become a infantry soldier. After that you go to your regiment.

Except you don't do SQ anymore, and the second course is just a combination of SQ and Battle School.

Most trades still do SQ/BMQ(L) prior to going on their trades course. But obviously Infantry is not one of them.

Here we go again.  ::)

Just to confuse everyone with things like SQ, BMQ (L), and whatever the next officer justifying his existence in some cubicle hidden away in some dark corner of Disneyland on the Rideau in this year's Posting Season dreams up as a new name for the same damned course.......Who cares?

You will do your Basic (by whatever name they want to call it this year), then you will get some "soldier skills" (by whatever name they want to call it this year), and then you will get onto Trades training.

It is that simple.  Now remember a couple of other things:  Every thing is subject to change, and not all Trades follow the same progression.

Clear as mud ?

George is right in a way of how the courses are broken down; Don't get too hung up on what they are called.

Course 1 - Everyone in all trades of the CF goes to it to learn about basic military life;

Course 2 - The Army-type guys (and gals) then break away to have their own course, where it's more about being a soldier.

Course 3 - Trade specific (be it Infantry, Sigs, whatever), and you will only be learning the exact skills you will do in your real job once getting posted (not including things like manning the front desk).

You go to your unit have your team leader degrade you and remind you that your all sort of fucked up and the majority of what you learned in basic doesn't apply to the 'line dog lifestyle' you'll dream of being a scout/sniper and if your good enough you shall leave the line and join up with them. 

I have a dumb question.

If you join the navy or air force, you don't take any kind of soldier training, after basic do you?

I'm trying to get in the navy, and I think I would go to basic, then to the naval 5 week course, then onto trades training right?

I know it's dumb, I just wanted to know if I got to play soldier at all before getting on the boat. :camo:

Hey there.  If you join the Navy or airforce you won't be doing any more soldiering...unless you deploy with the army( such as clearance divers do).....

The navy does the 5 week NETP...Naval environmental training program.  It is pretty much death by powerpoint for most of it.  With a week of hands on at the disaster control school.  That involves fighting fires and repairing leaks on the ships incase of attack.  That is lots of fun!  You'll also do a NBC refresher ( nuclear and biological stuff).  Then to finish it off you get to play with the Bosun's whistle, lol.

Usually  you will do your trade course( 3's) before you do the 5 week NETP.  Usually when you get to your ship after the 3's...or if you are on PAT platoon waiting for your 3's course to start you might get on it. 

Hope I helped.
  What trades are you looking at?

PS---I looked and saw what trades you were going for.  FWIW, I know lots of navy guys....and from what I've heard, HULL TECH is one of THE best jobs in the navy.

They are the guys that run the Disaster Control school.  Great group of guys I must say.

For your other trade choices....I hope you're prepared for years in a classroom.
Cheers

bomber12 said:
I am in the middle of the application process for infantry and my confusion comes from what happens after basic. From what I have in my head is that you do all training then get sent to your unit and work with that unit the rest of your time in the CF.
I have read alot and now it seem that personnel can get sent to work with different units or do you stay with your unit? I am confused on how that works.  Also as infantry do they get to drive the LAV's?

I don't want to sound like a dick, but are you sure you actually read a lot? I'm not sure how you could have come this far without seeing this: http://forces.ca/html/infantrysoldier_reg_en.aspx and the large section called TRAINING and other sections that precede and proceed it. Should answer some of your questions. Also feel free to contact your CFRC as well.

AlexD. said:
I don't want to sound like a dick, but are you sure you actually read a lot?
Notwithstanding you sounding like a complete dick, but you do realize that he asked the question 11 months ago?

Journeyman said:
Notwithstanding you sounding like a complete dick, but you do realize that he asked the question 11 months ago?

It appears to be so! Let us have a laugh at the irony present in my post!

stabmasterarson said:
I have a dumb question.

If you join the navy or air force, you don't take any kind of soldier training, after basic do you?

I'm trying to get in the navy, and I think I would go to basic, then to the naval 5 week course, then onto trades training right?

I know it's dumb, I just wanted to know if I got to play soldier at all before getting on the boat. :camo:

Apparently your azmith is off course because your asking Naval and Air Force questions in the Infantry section. Try re plotting and figure out the correct place to ask questions.  Alas I must leave you with one last thought; if your asking about 'playing solider' before you move on and choose another carrier path. Stick to playing Call Of Duty on line because questions like that make me want to kick your nuts off. Real line dogs hate dumb ass comments like that.

Take care, MBP

Hey, MBP, welcome to the forums.

If you'd been here a while longer you'd know that the reply below is the nice and friendly way to answer someone. The guy was simply asking a question, no need for yours.

CallOfDuty said:
  Hey there.  If you join the Navy or airforce you won't be doing any more soldiering...unless you deploy with the army( such as clearance divers do).....

The navy does the 5 week NETP...Naval environmental training program.  It is pretty much death by powerpoint for most of it.  With a week of hands on at the disaster control school.  That involves fighting fires and repairing leaks on the ships incase of attack.  That is lots of fun!  You'll also do a NBC refresher ( nuclear and biological stuff).  Then to finish it off you get to play with the Bosun's whistle, lol.

Usually  you will do your trade course( 3's) before you do the 5 week NETP.  Usually when you get to your ship after the 3's...or if you are on PAT platoon waiting for your 3's course to start you might get on it. 

Hope I helped.
  What trades are you looking at?

This ain't the barracks.

Thanks

Scott
Army.ca Staff

Back