• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I have too much kit; Can I turn some in?

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
My closet is starting to overflow with kit. I have 2 styles of body armor (not including the new stuff), tons of boots that I don't ever use (old goretex, old desert boots, 2 pairs of brand new jungle boots), spare gas mask, LBV, webbing, rain gear etc..

Someone on here mentioned that I could turn this stuff in anytime. This week I asked Petawawa clothing stores if I could bring some of it in when things quieted down there and the private said no I can only turn this stuff in when I released.
I'm not sure if he was just misinformed or was worried I'd show up while their trying to kit the roto guys.

Can I turn in my extra gear that I don't want into clothing stores? I'm in Petawawa but my ASU I guess is Ottawa. Would it be better to make an appointment and bring this stuff to Ottawa (and negeotiate Ottawa's insane parking lots) or should I try and make an appointment with Petawawa clothing?

Flawed Design said:
My closet is starting to overflow with kit. I have 2 styles of body armor (not including the new stuff), tons of boots that I don't ever use (old goretex, old desert boots, 2 pairs of brand new jungle boots), spare gas mask, LBV, webbing, rain gear etc..

Someone on here mentioned that I could turn this stuff in anytime. This week I asked Petawawa clothing stores if I could bring some of it in when things quieted down there and the private said no I can only turn this stuff in when I released.
I'm not sure if he was just misinformed or was worried I'd show up while their trying to kit the roto guys.

Can I turn in my extra gear that I don't want into clothing stores? I'm in Petawawa but my ASU I guess is Ottawa. Would it be better to make an appointment and bring this stuff to Ottawa (and negeotiate Ottawa's insane parking lots) or should I try and make an appointment with Petawawa clothing?

The Pte is misinformed ... somewhat

Your PPE (body armour etc) is supposed to be turned in by you within 30 days of your return from theatre. This usually occurs during the AAG process. The onus is on the member to turn this op essential kit back into the system.

Your desert boots etc are retained by you until the end of your service. Pers are not entitled to re-issues of new desert or jungle boots each time they deploy, but once issued in your career you are entitled to exchange them when necessary. Once you have been issued your jungle/desert boots for a deployment, you are expected to keep and utilize them for any subsequent deployments.

Your webbing should have been turned in when you were issued your TV. But if you are just talking "extras" of the raingear, webbing etc - you can indeed return that stuff back into the system.

The best COA would be to contact Ottawa clothing (you don't need to go to Petawawa to do your returns, unless of course you want to avoid the parking frustrations - either place: make an appointment) and advise them that you need to make an appointment for a kit return. Advise them that you have operational gear from theatre to hand in as regulations require you to do, and that you also have extras of field kit to turn in as you have "extras" above your entitlement.

Vern

too much kit, I hear you there.

As for Pet...thats thier policy: when you leave the base, on release or posting you may turn in gear. I had the same discussion with them a while back.

So try Ottawa, esp if thats where you got it from in the first place.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
too much kit, I hear you there.

As for Pet...thats thier policy: when you leave the base, on release or posting you may turn in gear. I had the same discussion with them a while back.

So try Ottawa, esp if thats where you got it from in the first place.

They're saying that's their "policy" for operational essential kit such as body armour, gas masks (which are currently ops restricted due to national shortages I might add  :-\) etc!!??

If so, that's in complete contravention of national directives, messages, and official policy.

It may be a Valcartier thing but we were told to hold on to our own body armour when we returned from theater... in fact they started issuing it out to people that never were on the roto or the subsequent roto.

Same for Petawawa, everyone was sized for the flakvest, and the RQ ordered them in, we picked them up and they are on our clothing docs now. We do not have the plates, training or otherwise, however.

RatCatcher said:
It may be a Valcartier thing but we were told to hold on to our own body armour when we returned from theater... in fact they started issuing it out to people that never were on the roto or the subsequent roto.

Well, I could actually see that if your Unit is already placed back into the deployment cycle ... and you know you're going again. That saves work.

But not for those members who haven't yet deployed/aren't tasked into a CFTPO posn.

Meanwhile ... we have ops restrcited kit due to suffering shortages to issue to pers who may be deploying on TF before your Unit goes back ... something's inherently wrong with that.

My company has for the most part all got the flak vest.  Plates where turned into KAF.  RQ and Clothing stores all know we have them and have not ordered them back.  We assumed as we haven't been told otherwise that we were keeping it like our TV.  As I said no one informed us to turn Flaks in.

I guess I can understand the boot issue. It would be a hassle issuing them, getting them back, issuing them & getting them back. I've just never used the jungle boots and I have 2 pairs of desert boots too many.

The body armor I'm talking about is the old Vietnam style body armor and then the next generation olive drab non plate carrying one.
I was never directed to turn the webbing or LBV in so I'll get on that.

Once you get boots I believe they are yours for life, even after you release.  I think they just punch a hole in the tongue.

ArmyVern said:
They're saying that's their "policy" for operational essential kit such as body armour, gas masks (which are currently ops restricted due to national shortages I might add  :-\) etc!!??

If so, that's in complete contravention of national directives, messages, and official policy.

Yep, thats what I was told.

Specifically, I asked about gear I did not need for the next 2 years. Rucksack, sleeping bags, gas mask. Nope, keep it, you maystill need it.

What I do need to turn in is my Artic outerwear, snow shoes, and all my old green cbts I still have

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
What I do need to turn in is my Artic outerwear, snow shoes, and all my old green cbts I still have

I still have a set of the old green combats in my ruck.  Do they really want them back?  ::)

PMedMoe said:
I still have a set of the old green combats in my ruck.  Do they really want them back?  ::)

They get sent to Area Cadet Camps.  ;)

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Gee, I still have my old jump helmet.....

Well, if it's any consolation to you -- those do not get sent to Area Cadet Camps.  >:D

Oh no... don't make me turn in my coveted Garrison dress jacket and boots, and the Tan DEU. My self-esteem would be ruined  ;D

I still have those, packed in a moving box.. for the day they decide to bring them back into service.  You know, the tan (light coloured) DEU that would work so well in I don't know... hot weather?  No no!! Let's keep the heavy green (dark coloured) DEU and never come out with a lighter version to wear for summer!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

But seriously Vern, Gas masks are to be turned in for ops reasoning?? Can you link me to the direction on that so I can pass it to my RSM.. I am pretty sure the HQ I work just did it's 13K ruck march and everyone had theirs.  Highly unlikely that they will need them anytime soon.

Bzzliteyr said:
I still have those, packed in a moving box.. for the day they decide to bring them back into service.  You know, the tan (light coloured) DEU that would work so well in I don't know... hot weather?  No no!! Let's keep the heavy green (dark coloured) DEU and never come out with a lighter version to wear for summer!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

But seriously Vern, Gas masks are to be turned in for ops reasoning?? Can you link me to the direction on that so I can pass it to my RSM.. I am pretty sure the HQ I work just did it's 13K ruck march and everyone had theirs.  Highly unlikely that they will need them anytime soon.

Sure, being that you're RegF you pretty much should all have yours.

I've already got PMs from staff at 3 different ResF Units who are experiencing problems getting gas masks for their personnel for kitting BMQs etc.

If you've only got ONE ... it's really not an issue, it's the guys with the "extras" over and above their entitlements that need to bring this stuff into clothing stores.

Gas masks are not supposed to be turned in "for Ops reasons." They are "Ops Restricted". That means, that we are currently experiencing shortages and that none can be issued to anyone unless they are deploying on an international operation. If those who had extras etc turned their excess in, then we may very well have enough in the system to get them out to pers undergoing BMQs etc(or be scrambling to find one in "stock" somewhere [side note: there is nil stock - it's in people's basements] for someone deploying) ... I'm pretty sure the gas hut is still part of that.

So is this something that has been passed on to the higher ups??  I don't want to pass it on (being a good boy) unless it's something that might have gotten overlooked.  I am reg force but my HQ is 90% resevists. 

I also just got the message about the one page instruction sheet that is to be replacing the 24 page user guide.

I got issued the tan ones about 3 weeks before my release date...... ::)

Back