• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I want to be a Med Tech, but...

doublemint

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So like what the title states, I want to join the reserves and become a medical technician, but my parents do not want me to go. They know that in extreme circumstances, that the reserves maybe called into action; even the possible thought of me being in weapons fire scares them. I know that being as a medical tech that I expose myself to the same conditions as any infantry and I am fine with that, I know the possible risks.
I am currently 19, 20 in May. I am attending university and plan to enter medical school. I want to be a med tech because I think that i can somewhat help me out. I was in cadets for a year and love it so now I want to enlist in the reserves...
Any thoughts?? What should I say to my parents??

doublemint said:
Hi everyone,
So like what the title states, I want to join the reserves and become a medical technician, but my parents do not want me to go. They know that in extreme circumstances, that the reserves maybe called into action; even the possible thought of me being in weapons fire scares them. I know that being as a medical tech that I expose myself to the same conditions as any infantry and I am fine with that, I know the possible risks.
I am currently 19, 20 in May. I am attending university and plan to enter medical school. I want to be a med tech because I think that i can somewhat help me out. I was in cadets for a year and love it so now I want to enlist in the reserves...
Any thoughts?? What should I say to my parents??

There are several things to say here.

1.  There are several topics on parents not wanting their children joining the CF.

2.  There are several topics on Reservists and their obligations to the Crown, and what the Government can and can not do with the Reserves. 

3.  There are topics on the Medical Trades, and I am sure if you do some research, you may find that the Trade you are looking at may not be found in the Reserves; Med Tech.

4.  This site has all your answers already posted, so with a little browsing and use of the various tools, you should find prime examples of what you desire to know.

Welcome to Milnet.ca

Well, there comes a time in everyone's life when they have to make decisions for themselves.  Being a parent myself, I can understand your parents hesitation.  My mother also didn't want me to join the CF.  My circumstances were different however. 14 years later I am finally following through on my goal. 

If this is something you really want to do, my suggestion is to do all your research, and educate your parents about your reasons for enrolling, what your role would be should you volunteer to deploy.  In the end though, while you may want their support, you do not need their permission to enroll.

canadian_moose said:
I'd say hey mom cut the umbilical cord

Seconded.

I'm 19 at the moment also. My parents and some friends were also thinking me signing up for the military meant I was going to be stolen and go fight in some secret war for sure. In the end, they still were not too keen on me enlisting. Now I have been accepted into the ROTP program, and it has almost been half a year and they are all proud of me now. :)

They may be your parents, but in the end it is your life and the final call is yours. 

Marshall said:
They may be your parents, but in the end it is your life and the final call is yours. 
Bang on. This thread doesn't have to go on. The advise has been given, and there are other threads that deal with this as well.

Back