• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IDF Shoots Down Drone

CDN Aviator said:
I'm sure much was documented by way of EO systems (at least) prior to it being shot down.

I'm curious as to what information an EO system could gather on something like that? Just an honest question coming from someone with zero knowledge of the subject.

Israel's Air Force has the video here: http://www.iaf.org.il/4387-39533-en/IAF.aspx

I doubt they will take it down anytime soon.

Another question: is an Israeli war against Iran imminent?

dangles said:
Another question: is an Israeli war against Iran imminent?

Most of the experts say "no, not right now," but ...
Remember Lao Tzu

laotzu.jpg

“Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.”
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

dangles said:
I'm curious as to what information an EO system could gather on something like that?

Quite a bit of information about the design, performance and origin can be gained strictly from imagery (even more so if it is multi-spectral).

Hizbollah/Iranians found a weakness in the Israeli air defenses. Also the drone could have gathered data on the US X band radar in the Negev and the air defenses around Dimona. Maybe the next time they shoot it down over the Med.

tomahawk6 said:
Hizbollah/Iranians found a weakness in the Israeli air defenses. Also the drone could have gathered data on the US X band radar in the Negev and the air defenses around Dimona. Maybe the next time they shoot it down over the Med.

It looks like you are correct.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121029/DEFREG04/310290003/Israel-Doubts-Iran-Has-Drone-Data-Defense-Official-Says?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Why wouldn't it have a camera? Frankly you would assume that it did. Could it stream video, that would be a good question and would say a lot about their capabilties if they did. Hopefully the wreackage will be intact enough to gain information from it.

Also intereting how close the F-16 was to the missile hit, counted around 3 seconds between hit and jet appearing in the video.

Colin P said:
Why wouldn't it have a camera? Frankly you would assume that it did. Could it stream video, that would be a good question and would say a lot about their capabilties if they did. Hopefully the wreackage will be intact enough to gain information from it.

Also intereting how close the F-16 was to the missile hit, counted around 3 seconds between hit and jet appearing in the video.

Another article said a first missile may have missed.

I really feel that this is the kind of situation that is going to become more common. Asymmetric warfare evolving into the high tech arena.

Why use suicide bombers when you can link numerous explosives remotely with every day technology? Watch and control from remote cameras/drones the comfort of your home....or some other country.

Much of Israel is well within the range of Hamas/Hezbollah rockets. The threat here is adjusted fire using drones.

Much of Israel is well within the range of Hamas/Hezbollah rockets. The threat here is adjusted fire using drones.
Good application of the tech. What they going to try next I wonder?

According to STRATFOR*
Israel: Iran Says UAV Sent Pictures Of Key Israeli Bases
October 29, 2012 | 0927 GMT
An Iranian unmanned aerial vehicle sent back pictures of restricted areas in Israel after being launched into Israel earlier in October, an Iranian lawmaker told Mehr news agency Oct. 29, Reuters reported. The unmanned aerial vehicle transmitted pictures of so-called sensitive Israeli bases before it was shot down, the lawmaker said.
So in addition to acquiring raw info on Israeli response procedures and timings, the UAV apparently had a camera with streaming still/video capability, providing current imagery.

-------------
* Well worth the price of a subscription.  :nod:

Back