• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

If you haven't been to Afghanistan shut up.

ObedientiaZelum said:
That actually was the intent of my post.

I totally agree someone who hasn't been to Afghanistan as a rifleman has no idea what it's like to be a rifleman in Afghanistan- but I'm noticing a lot of people treat being a rifleman in Afghanistan as giving them some deep view on how the middle east and "the world" really works.

I would hazard a guess that the average "rifleman #3", which I guess is a pejorative now, is far more knowledgable and informed about the Middle East than the average citizen.

Sythen said:
I would hazard a guess that the average "rifleman #3", which I guess is a pejorative now, is far more knowledgable and informed about the Middle East than the average citizen.

Ummm.  If you were "rifleman #3", you may like to know that you were not in the "Middle East", but "Southwest Asia".

Yes, "rifleman #3" may be far more knowledgable and informed than the average citizen, but (s)he is far from an expert on the Region.

Probably no more than the average 20 year old political science student though. The problem is the arrogance of "been there, know it all". And yes, I have been there multiple times

The term "Middle East" can take in all or part of North Africa and Western Asia (specifically southwestern Asia).

Depends on the person using the term, and sometimes the context.  Asia, Africa - easy to specify.  Middle East is a general term, not specific....like Central Alberta - at what point does an area stop being "central"?

LieutenantPrivate said:
Probably no more than the average 20 year old political science student though. The problem is the arrogance of "been there, know it all". And yes, I have been there multiple times

I believe that was said:

but (s)he is far from an expert on the Region.

As for your 20 year old political science student.........well.....we won't go there.  ::)

RDJP said:
The term "Middle East" can take in all or part of North Africa and Western Asia (specifically southwestern Asia).

Depends on the person using the term, and sometimes the context.  Asia, Africa - easy to specify.  Middle East is a general term, not specific....like Central Alberta - at what point does an area stop being "central"?

I guess we can just leave that to "rifleman #3" reading the inscription on their medal.    ;D

RDJP said:

When it refers to any area outside of Toronto.

ME

I rank that right up there with the bumper sticker that states that Canadians who don't stand behind the troops should stand in front. Implying that as a Canadian soldier you would shot other Canadians with different opinions is just wrong.

2 Cdo said:
I rank that right up there with the bumper sticker that states that Canadians who don't stand behind the troops should stand in front. Implying that as a Canadian soldier you would shot other Canadians with different opinions is just wrong.

I hate that one as much as "My daddy fights for your freedom".  What a bunch of B/S.

dogger1936 said:
I hate that one as much as "My daddy fights for your freedom".  What a bunch of B/S.

What about "If you like your freedom, thank a vet"?  There's some truth to that one, but I find it a bit discomfiting as well. 

In each case, there seems to be a worthwhile, subtle point that ends up getting lost in the in-your-face nature of the delivery.

dogger1936 said:

My daddy, My boyfriend, My husband, etc fights for your freedom,  as well as "you think your life is stressful, I'm a army wife.. Petawawa is filled with those stickers... 

1.) No one cares
2.) You're in Petawawa having a spouse in the military doesn't make you unique or special

bridges said:
What about "If you like your freedom, thank a vet"?  There's some truth to that one, but I find it a bit discomfiting as well. 

In each case, there seems to be a worthwhile, subtle point that ends up getting lost in the in-your-face nature of the delivery.

I find it all pretty pretentious.

-Skeletor- said:
My daddy, My boyfriend, My husband, etc fights for your freedom,  as well as "you think your life is stressful, I'm a army wife.. Petawawa is filled with those stickers... 

1.) No one cares
2.) You're in Petawawa having a spouse in the military doesn't make you unique or special

I couldn't agree more. Same as this if you haven't been to Afghanistan shut up thing. Anyone who posts that kind of drivel is a loser looking for attention. Wow you've been overseas to do your job....my f'ing hero.

George Wallace said:
As for your 20 year old political science student.........well.....we won't go there.  ::)

As a 20+ year old political science student, I would be offended... if it was in any way shape or form not true.

George Wallace said:

If she is hot, we could.....

-Skeletor- said:

1.) No one cares

Occasionally it does make one special....

In the helmet wearing, short bus riding sort of way.

Just ask the deployment support staff about all the special people they have to deal with while we are gone....

dogger1936 said:

I don't see a problem with this statement for the military IS commonly referred to as the entitiy that fights for our (democratic) freedom (ref: Vets usually). The problem that I would have from it is the childishness of it. It's saying, in a more mature way, 'Yeah, well my daddy can beat up your daddy'. I do not see (or personally haven't at least) cops' cars say 'my daddy keeps your freedom safe', teachers' cars say 'my daddy educates you on freedom', or anything of that sort. This need for bragging countermands the quiet professionalism we should all have.

I did not join to be thanked by every citizen, get a gold star or blue ribbon for my participation. I proudly do it and never have the urge to chest-thump to my male peers in order to defend and/or justify my employment. If people want a pat-on-the-back for titles like being a soldier, a soldier's spouse, how hard it is to run towards gunfire or even how hard it is to do PT every moning (and get paid for it), then perhaps the military is not a place for them. Perhaps grade school is a better place where you are given gold stars and blue ribbons for everything from showing up to a mandatory event to washing your hands after using the bathroom.

I do not believe in the practice of demanding thanks from people. So you don't support the troops - my employment is to protect the right that gives your the freedom to voice that. So I fought for your freedom - if I didn't, someone else would have been told to it. So my life as an army wife is stressful - it was my choice and will continue to be my choice. Demanding gratitude from people via even the form of bumper stickers is hypocritical of military ethos.

I'll stop there b/c I have a feeling I offended some already. If I did offend you, feel free to stand in front of me....at the Tim Hortens lineup.

The only things that I personally repost on my facebook page are the "Military Minds" posts that get sent around, as I know several people who are afflicted by PTSD, and 1 who killed himself because of it. 

Most of the people I deployed only deployed in order to get the tour money... there were certainly not a whole lot of "defending freedom" conversations or political aspirations.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
"defending freedom" conversations or political aspirations.

I find it ironic that we push ourselves as defenders of freedom and freedom of speech ... yet then see some with (alleged) 'balls' enough telling other people who, as taxpayers and voting citizens, to STFU about their entitled democratic opinion on it.

The irony in that slays me at a double face palm level.

"We fight for your freedom/freedom of speech ... but don't you dare fucking use it."

How absolutely stoopid is that all things considered.

Someone needs to make a bumper sticker that says "I fight for Oil"  ;D

Back