• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

If you were young again...

brian_k

Inactive
Reaction score
If you were young again would you still choose the trade you are currently in or would you go into something different. Please post your current trade and whether you would stay or what you would switch to.

I've gotten a lot of good go's an jobs/taskings as a Sig Op but if I could do it again I'd get LASIK before going into the Army instead of doing it while i'm already in a red flagged trade thats hard to OT out of an go Infantry. But I'm still young an I've still got options for other things, etc.

When I first joined I was a Tfc Tech, now I'm a PMed Tech.  I really like the trade I have now, although Tfc would have had some great opportunities as well.  I just wish I had never gotten out as my 20 years would have been done three years ago.....  :-\

What do you mean - "young AGAIN"??

I'm young - STILL!!!.

To answer your question without the smartassery - if I had to do it all over again, I'd stay in the Infantry. 

I did an undistinguished stint as a 031 a LONG time ago - then I got out.  I re-enrolled as an Adm Clk (831), which trade was amalgamated (along with Fin Clks and CEP Techs) into RMS (836).

Although I had a good career as a support guy - and I'm proud of it - I really think I would have been happier being supported - rather than supporting.  It's a mind-set thing, I think - friends of mine (with as much or more TI than I) are extremely happy in their support roles - and wouldn't think of becoming a Cbt Arms guy.

It is, of course, a hypothetical question which has no real meaning in the greater scheme of things.  I re-enrolled as an Adm Clk because it was the first trade they offered, I was unemployed (during the LAST great economic downturn in '82), and I had a wife and child to support.  If that same set of circumstances were to re-occur - I'd make the same decision.

Roy

You only need Centrum to feel young again!!  >:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNsBc7PBw5E

I'd have stuck with my original plan, not become an officer and go MP.

If I were young again; hmm I signed up in 82 at age 17 for med a and was told the trade was closed for 2 years.
'Well' I asked, 'What's open?'
'Well' said the recruiter 'Hmm, let me look..why combat arms is open' (sound familiar to anyone?  ;) )
Spent 6 year with 1RCR in London (had a blast) then LOTPed to medic and was sent to 2RCR as a medic a few years later.

Oh yeah, I also would have taken the advice of the accountants that were brought in when we got to the Battalion late 82. They suggested we put away about $100 a month into RRSP's...but we young snot-nosed pups thought it better to piss away our paychecks on booze and a good time  :

I wouldn't change anything (well except about socking away $100 a month; just think 27 yrars later  :crybaby: )

I would have still been a 041, but I would do a better job of not sharing my opinions too freely with anyone who would listen, especially when beer fueled 50 cal finger makes an appearance.  I too would have been better at saving my loot, spent a few less evenings at JRC/Jolly Miller Pub, and definitely would have stayed away from happy Hour at the mess on March 3rd, 1981.  I would also have been much less of an idiot and passed my CLC first time around.

Piper said:
I'd have stuck with my original plan, not become an officer and go MP.

Your Rating has just gone up 75%.

One Disastrous mistake deserves one of equal magnitude.

I would have never gone to Zanvort on the North Sea in Holland on a R&R where I met Wife Nr.1 and was talked into chucking 10 yrs. of Service and Rank out the window. (see how I met my wife).

The stupid thing was that at the time I was going out with a Beautiful Young German Girl, the Daughter of our Civilian Cook at No.1 Field Detention Barracks.

I regret this, to this very day.

Cheers/

Back