• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

Uh, oh.  People will get ideas.  Puttees instead of blousing...

>:D

We are rather alone in blousing boots

Google "US Soldiers" or "British Soldiers" in Google images and you will recieve coutless images of thier troops with bloused pant legs (in the field no less (granted most are bloused using the in-place ties at the cuff of the pants but I would hardly call us alone in blousing of boots.

ivan the tolerable said:

Hmmmmmm....Ivan you may be onto something.....I shall have to write a paper on this forthwith!!!  ;)

I always assumed that puttees, gaiters and blousing (three methods of doing essentially the same thing and all of which have been used in combat for the past century and a half) had their origins in the practicality of keeping your trouser cuffs out of the mud and preventing bugs, sand  and what not from getting inside.  They also prevent the open trouser cuff from getting caught on things.  I will say it makes more sense and looks better than the naval practice of stuffing one's trousers into one's socks (and donning hoods and evening gloves) when the alarm goes off!

On the topic of the Improved Combat Uniform, is velcro on everything a good idea?  I would think velcro would be really bad when you're trying to be quiet, but need to get into a pocket.

Teflon said:
Google "US Soldiers" or "British Soldiers" in Google images and you will recieve coutless images of thier troops with bloused pant legs (in the field no less (granted most are bloused using the in-place ties at the cuff of the pants but I would hardly call us alone in blousing of boots.

Read my entire post and not a select seven words. I am talking about our culture's view of a professional image, not specifically the military. Military's are alone in considering "blousing boots" to be part of a professional image. Go find me a lawyer, doctor, accountant, etc with bloused boots. You won't, because it's not part of our culture's perception of how a professional should dress at all.

As was pointed out and proven already, boot blousing has nothing to do with a professional image, *nothing,* it never did and it never has. It was born out of necessity and served a functional purpose. That purpose is now lost, but tradition carries on. Which is fine, I am okay with that, I like traditions, and I think those puttees look pretty bad-*** too... just don't tell me that it's because it looks professional, because that has nothing to do with it.

ivan the tolerable said:

As one of the few members who wore puttees, they were hot, uncomfortable and prone to coming off at unfortunate times. Mind you, I never had the last happen to my puttees, and they did look very sharp with battledress on parade. However, Jim Seggie mentioned varicose veins and nothing could match a pair of puttees pulled extra tight around the bottoms of battledress trousers pulled tight and safety pinned so the weights (think a length of skate lace stuffed with 9mm slugs) would hang properly for setting one up for circulation problems in the future. When they were taken out of wear in the late sixties, we had a puttee burning party in the mess in Shilo, and throughly enjoyed the experience.

ballz said:
Based on what our culture considers to be a "professional" appearance. We are far from alone, as professionals, in having short hair, wearing ties, blazers, with shiny shoes. We are rather alone in blousing boots. So your answer doesn't address the "where does the idea that blousing your boots is a characteristic of being a professional?" question I answered. However...
If you look at the words in the quote you are replying to, you will note that "professional appearance" is not there.  The phrase "military appearance" is found in that text, and my observations of many different nations seems to suggest that the bloused pants are part of a fairly common military appearance (and not just the US and UK that have been noted by others).  And blousing is functional.

Personally, I have never noticed ventilation or circulation to have improved as a result of my pants being unbloused.  I have noticed that the pants dry quicker when unbloused, but that is the only functional value I have ever found in unblousing and (as of yet) nobody is arguing we should unblouse for this.  Conversely, the cuffs of my pants have never snagged on anything while bloused (an occurrence that has cause tripping and tearing when unbloused), I have never had insects, abrasive/prickly plants or other natural irritants get up into my pant legs  or spill down into my boots while pants were bloused (something that again seems to happen when they are left loose), and I have never had hot ash spill into the top of my boots while my pants were bloused  ... what?  Where did that last one come from?  It seems wildland fire fighters, as part of their professional attire, also worry about forming a seal to prevent things getting into the boot top or up the pant leg ... only anyone that has done a DOMOP in this role will tell you they like to keep their seal a lot tighter than our circulation impairing blousing.

Read my entire post and not a select seven words. I am talking about our culture's view of a professional image, not specifically the military. Military's are alone in considering "blousing boots" to be part of a professional image. Go find me a lawyer, doctor, accountant, etc with bloused boots. You won't, because it's not part of our culture's perception of how a professional should dress at all.

I took your comment as meaning that Canada's military was alone blousing of boots which was what I was adressing and not if blousing of boots "looked professional" if I missunderstood your meaning then sorry about that (no intent to upset you) I also did read read your entire post but since I was only commenting on one part of it I only quoted that part

As to the functional value of blousing - we can and I am sure we will continue to disagree

Old Sweat said:
When they were taken out of wear in the late sixties, we had a puttee burning party in the mess in Shilo, and throughly enjoyed the experience.

Toronto Service Battalion ( militia ) was still wearing puttees into the early 1970's.

On the topic of the Improved Combat Uniform, is velcro on everything a good idea?  I would think velcro would be really bad when you're trying to be quiet, but need to get into a pocket.

Just open it tactically...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSK3maq8Cyk

There was an amendment to dress instructions that took puttees out of wear, and it was published in routine orders. The socks, circular were only worn in garrison as we had combats for the field. For protection of the leg, and to keep sweat from getting out, the double bottoms on the combat trousers were ideal.

mariomike said:
Toronto Service Battalion ( militia ) was still wearing puttees into the early 1970's.

I wore them in the Brits up to about 83.....when high leg boots became the norm...although before that we had high leg boots for Northern Ireland...and many bought their own high leg boots and were allowed to wear them .... dropping puttees unless required for a parade etc...

I have always ripped out the sand-traps and bloused a bit lower than most.....and as for the field....generally on ops /ex favored un-bloused and still do....although not all stick men saw it the same way when I was a young fella...

Teflon said:
if I missunderstood your meaning then sorry about that (no intent to upset you)

You did but no need for apologies now, I am not upset.

Teflon said:
As to the functional value of blousing - we can and I am sure we will continue to disagree

Most likely, which is fine of course as long as we aren't telling each other whether or not to blouse in the field, because that would be silly. And once it comes to garrison, I don't care one way or another, as I am too busy bitching and moaning about getting a boot allowance :nod:

MCG said:
If you look at the words in the quote you are replying to, you will note that "professional appearance" is not there.  The phrase "military appearance" is found in that text, and my observations of many different nations seems to suggest that the bloused pants are part of a fairly common military appearance (and not just the US and UK that have been noted by others).  And blousing is functional.

If you look at what I was being quoted on, I was speaking of professional appearance. Anywho, enough of that.

MCG said:
Personally, I have never noticed ventilation or circulation to have improved as a result of my pants being unbloused.  I have noticed that the pants dry quicker when unbloused, but that is the only functional value I have ever found in unblousing and (as of yet) nobody is arguing we should unblouse for this.  Conversely, the cuffs of my pants have never snagged on anything while bloused (an occurrence that has cause tripping and tearing when unbloused), I have never had insects, abrasive/prickly plants or other natural irritants get up into my pant legs  or spill down into my boots while pants were bloused (something that again seems to happen when they are left loose), and I have never had hot ash spill into the top of my boots while my pants were bloused  ... what?  Where did that last one come from?  It seems wildland fire fighters, as part of their professional attire, also worry about forming a seal to prevent things getting into the boot top or up the pant leg ... only anyone that has done a DOMOP in this role will tell you they like to keep their seal a lot tighter than our circulation impairing blousing.

My personal reasons for not liking them bloused in the field is plainly comfort. I find it better for running and better for my knee pad if my pant leg can move freely. I never noticed the drying part, but I suppose I've never bloused in the field to compare it to. It's also annoying to be fixing them all the time. They come unbloused every second you have to do something, so it's just not worth blousing them to me.

It is personal preference more than functionability IMO, so in the field it's stupid to be enforcing it. :-\

EDIT: Oh yes I wanted to add that you firefighter example was a good thought-provoking example and does make a good argument that it's not just the military that does the blousing thing.

ivan the tolerable said:

Screw it lets go back to shorts  8)

scout4.jpg

Brooke-Popham_%26_Wavell.jpg

Pusser said:

Which brings me to this: am I the only one that has issues with the fact that they seem to use the MALE velcro on the wrong side?  Take a look at your combat pant pocket - the male side (scratchy) velcro is on the part that can touch your wrist.  I recall the same thing for the old rainsuit.  If they had reversed it, the nice soft velcro would be rubbing my wrist when I have my hands in my pockets.

I can hear Jim Seggie now: "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOUR HANDS DOING IN YOUR POCKETS?!?!?!"

Wolf117 said:
Oh and another reason blousing shouldn't be allowed in the field is that after performing an attack it gets all screwed up and moves up your calf.  Meaning troops are eFing around fixing it when they should be more worried about hydrating, watching their arcs and re-orging.

Ahhhh reminds me of the old days, eFing around with my puttees, trying to invent velcro without even knowing about it  ;D

ballz said:
............................that it's not just the military that does the blousing thing.

Certainly true  in the case of this fella... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lW-cZEzP2A 

He loves it that much he posted a 'how to clip' on youtube  making it look oh so easy!!.....The idea to use Walmart ponytail ties (and the like) is revolutionary (choke) and could be the answer for those who find blousing leaves marks/indentations on their legs.....blousing lower over the boot not on top of.....of course prevents that painful affliction.... ;)

That's my three cents on all this blousing bollocks......

Bzzliteyr said:
I can hear Jim Seggie now: "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOUR HANDS DOING IN YOUR POCKETS?!?!?!"

I dunno about you....mine are in my pockets because they are cold.

Back