• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In need of some clarification regarding PT standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
brandon_ said:
No disrespect or anything, but there was ONLY 2 you had to do and didn't manage that much?

Depending on how picky the PSP staff is, you could do 20 and they would only count one.

brandon_ said:
I Think alot of the funds to send people home and  too basic could be reduced and spent better if the PT test where conducted at the cfrc (like reserves) before being shipped out.

Yep, there's loads of comments like that in various threads regarding the fitness test.

PMedMoe said:
Depending on how picky the PSP staff is, you could do 20 and they would only count one.

WOW in that case im preety F*cked; i can manage to do 20 no problem but i guess most of them as iffy... ugh better get working on them some more (pt is sometime next month for me)

EVERYTHING here has been covered ad nauseum and we are not going to rehash it yet again.

IF you don't know how to search, or can't seem to figure it out by reading the guidelines, like you agreed to, contact a Mentor for help.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hello,

Before you say it, I've read every sticky and I've searched for countless threads. I'm aware of the information - my problem is that I've found too much and I need some clarification.

Reading page 8 of the physical fitness PDF on the Army's website is where it confuses me.

It states: During week one of Basic Training, you will undergo a physical fitness evaluation. Successful completion of the evaluation is necessary in continuing Basic Training.

Under which it states the "Performance Objectives," which for myself (male under 35) are as follows:

- 19 Push-ups
- 19 sit-ups
- 75 Hand-grip
- Shuttle Run 6.0

Beside this, it has the following: For those under 35: You will undergo the CF Expres Fitness test and should you meet the minimums listed in the physical fitness guide you will continue with Basic Training. Candidates who do not meet the CF EXPRES standards but who achieve the threshold fitness standards will proceed to The Warrior Preparation Company.

Under which it states:

20M Shuttle Run - level                        Push Ups - level

Male - 3.5                                                      Male - 4

So, my question(s) are as follows:

- What exactly is meant by "Stage 6.0" for the shuttle run
- What is the difference between the two standards posted, and for the second what is ment by the level's 3.5 and 4 (for the run and push-ups respectively).

Thank-you in advance!

Means you should achieve the higher standards but if you don't and at least meet the second you may continue with the Canadian Forces. If you get less then you will be released.

Hopefully this helps to clarify.

- you will do the EXPRES test during Week 0 of BMQ.
- the standards for a "pass" you have already identified.
- IF you don't meet the "pass" levels and get a Pass, then you MUST meet the other minimums (lev 3.5 on the shuttle run) and do alteast 4 pushups to go into the Warrior Prep Company.  If you don't even meet those (VERY minimal) levels, you will be released from the CF.

If you search on here, you should find where you can download the actual shuttle run (.wav file etc).  Basically, each "level" of the 20 meter shuttle run (20MSR) is about 1 minute long.  The refer to them as "stage X" during the 20MSR.  As you being a new stage, the pace quickens.  You are running between to lines, back and forth, back and forth, during each stage. 

So Lev/Stage 6 is about 6 minutes into the running back and forth thing known as the 20MSR.

Hope that helps.

Eye In The Sky said:
Hopefully this helps to clarify.

- you will do the EXPRES test during Week 0 of BMQ.
- the standards for a "pass" you have already identified.
- IF you don't meet the "pass" levels and get a Pass, then you MUST meet the other minimums (lev 3.5 on the shuttle run) and do alteast 4 pushups to go into the Warrior Prep Company.  If you don't even meet those (VERY minimal) levels, you will be released from the CF.

If you search on here, you should find where you can download the actual shuttle run (.wav file etc).  Basically, each "level" of the 20 meter shuttle run (20MSR) is about 1 minute long.  The refer to them as "stage X" during the 20MSR.  As you being a new stage, the pace quickens.  You are running between to lines, back and forth, back and forth, during each stage. 

So Lev/Stage 6 is about 6 minutes into the running back and forth thing known as the 20MSR.

Hope that helps.

Crystal clear! Thank-you very much!

On a side note, I'm also reading conflicting posts about when the fitness tests are. As you've just mentioned there is one during week 0 of BMQ (as well as other during your time there), however, I am also reading that there is one during the application process.

Would the same standards apply or are you not tested on your fitness until BMQ?

While I've got the post going, might as well ask here as well: Are you paid* right from the onset of BMQ (and subsequently The Warrior Prep Company should you have to go that route?). Like I've said, I certainly going to strive for more than 19 push-ups (running and sit ups I have no problem with) but unfortunately upper body strength has always been my weakness.

*paid - The official website states an anual salary of $30,000. Would this apply should I have to attend TWPC?

Strum said:
Crystal clear! Thank-you very much!

On a side note, I'm also reading conflicting posts about when the fitness tests are. As you've just mentioned there is one during week 0 of BMQ (as well as other during your time there), however, I am also reading that there is one during the application process.

Would the same standards apply or are you not tested on your fitness until BMQ?

Depends on if you are reserve or regular force.  The reserves do their test as part of their enrollment process and do not have a Warrior Prep Co, so they have to meet the higher standard.  Reg force does the ExPres test at BMQ.

Strum said:
While I've got the post going, might as well ask here as well: Are you paid* right from the onset of BMQ (and subsequently The Warrior Prep Company should you have to go that route?).

Yes.

PMedMoe said:
Depends on if you are reserve or regular force.  The reserves do their test as part of their enrollment process and do not have a Warrior Prep Co, so they have to meet the higher standard.  Reg force does the ExPres test at BMQ.

Yes.

Thank-you very much. Answers all my questions!

If you don't meet the fitness test requirements but meet the threshold level and you have to go to the warrior prep program, how does that affect your BMQ? I mean are you gonna have to wait for the next BMQ course? Because it seems like they fill up BMQs several months in advance..
PS: my BMQ will be in Borden

I'm sure it's been covered here but I bet you have to wait for an open position.

Wow, you've been worried about this since Sep last year. 

When does the fitness test happen and what happens if you fail it?

I know you're sort of asking a different question here, but just go in with the attitude that you are going to pass the fitness test.  Cross bridges when you come to them and all that stuff.

You live in Vancouver? Basic is in September? Why not quit worrying about how you are going to or how you can or how you will fail the physical tests and ACTUALLY GET UP AND WORK FOR IT. Go run Grouse Mountain.

There are alot of people, who deserve a chance for a career with the Canadian Forces. And have been/will prepare accordingly. I am not saying you don't deserve anything (Congrats are in order in fact), or haven't worked hard to date, but think about that.

What I am saying is you have been given a F'ing GOLDEN OPPORTNITY that I would gladly take from you if you don't want it, as would so many others. Think of what this really is. Also think of everyone who has been preparing and feels 100% good to go when they see someone prepare for failure like you have. Its sad and unbecoming. I dont know you but everyone can do better than that.

PMedMoe is correct. She hit on this before with a post of yours - that you're setting up for failure and you have been since September.

Get working on it and you will be fine. Because right now you're doing nothing for yourself.

Manticure said:
If you don't meet the fitness test requirements but meet the threshold level and you have to go to the warrior prep program, how does that affect your BMQ? I mean are you gonna have to wait for the next BMQ course? Because it seems like they fill up BMQs several months in advance..
PS: my BMQ will be in Borden

First of all, and like the others said, stop typing and go run.

Second, and more importantly...calling that whole process "warrior fitness...something or other" is totally lame and makes it sound like some cool gladiator training camp opposed to a military fat camp.

Third, and most importantly, is I believe they have removed the entire process as of a couple months ago.  I could be wrong here, but a couple people I know who failed the first Express Test were sent home for a set number of months to build up their fitness.  If thats the case, sweet more money for the army!  Nice new shiny rain coats for all!!

Just throwing it out there.  Now seriously stop reading this go feel the burn...

McD said:
ACTUALLY GET UP AND WORK FOR IT.

I could not agree with that statement more.  Stop worrying about passing and get fit on your own time before expecting a safety net and free pay to get fit on the Queen's money.

A little less Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and a little more running around the block.

I head to RMC in August for First Year Orientation period. I'm in horrible shape right now. But I am working out everyday and over the last month have lost 10 lbs. Again stop worrying and start working out. The CF express is not THAT hard, After just a month of working out I can pass the strength requirements easily and am still a ways away from the beep test but i still have may-july.

I am not setting up for a failure at all, I've been preparing for basic training ever since last September or so, although sometimes I don't go on runs for weeks because of bad weather or being too exhausted from work.
Even though I can do level 5 of shuttle run test now which is much higher than I could when I first started running, I am still not even close at doing 2.4km in 11 mins.
And I can't discount the possibility that even after all the preparation for it and the right attitude, I might still fail because of my aerobic fitness. Because I've always been one of the worst runners in high school, it's always been one of my biggest problems.

I also realize that preparing for the fitness test is more than just running as long as possible and as much as possible. I tried that and eventually running too much made my legs hurt every time I was running. So I had to stop running for a few weeks.
Don't get me wrong, military is gonna be my lifetime career and I am doing everything possible to do my best at it. All I am saying is that preparing for fitness test is not just running as much as possible everyday. If it was that simple I wouldn't have even a slightest doubt about passing it.

Manticure said:
I am not setting up for a failure at all, I've been preparing for basic training ever since last September or so, although sometimes I don't go on runs for weeks because of bad weather or being too exhausted from work.

Wow.  Are you ever in for a stunning rude awakening.  There is more to this than a chipper "Can Do!!" attitude. 

Manticure said:
And I can't discount the possibility that even after all the preparation for it and the right attitude, I might still fail because of my aerobic fitness. Because I've always been one of the worst runners in high school, it's always been one of my biggest problems.

Perhaps you had the worst quitters attitude in highschool?  Fitness isn't genetic. 

Manticure said:
I also realize that preparing for the fitness test is more than just running as long as possible and as much as possible. I tried that and eventually running too much made my legs hurt every time I was running. So I had to stop running for a few weeks.

I will consider that you perhaps have a terrible running technique or bad shoes.  However, this just sounds like a lame excuse. 

Manticure said:
Don't get me wrong, military is gonna be my lifetime career and I am doing everything possible to do my best at it. All I am saying is that preparing for fitness test is not just running as much as possible everyday. If it was that simple I wouldn't have even a slightest doubt about passing it.

Don't get me wrong.  I hope you end up being successful.  But you've had half a year to get into the most minimal standard of physical fitness.  You need to get on to a proper trainer and get a grip.  If you are giving 100% to make the minimum standard, you are going to be crushed once you are on basic.  Don't show up if you can't do the job.  All you will do is hold back your course mates and make them resent you. 

Stop making excuses for a lack of performance and become frightened at the idea that you will be rejected by the CF for being unsatisfactory.  Perhaps that will create a way for you to find the motivation that will get you moving. 

Manticure said:
I'm not a trainer, doctor, nor a fitness expert, but I found these helpful (most found here on this site). Like everyone else has said - get out there and do it.

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

http://www.twohundredsitups.com/index.html

The speed in the running schedule is a little slow. Once you finish week 9 (or sooner) you can speed it up to obtain the 2.4 km in approx 10 mins target. You could do the push-ups/sit-ups on one day, run the next, and on the seventh day rest do the CF Express test to track your progress. The gradual increase in the running schedule should build up your legs slowly and prevent injury. Again, I'm no expert; I just found this helpful for me to follow in the beginning.

i was wondering if you fail the express test and go to the warrior company do you still get paid for that while your in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back