• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Incentive Pay Category For Cadets Joining The CF

Status
Not open for further replies.

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
      • I recall reading a post where someone said they had never seen anything allowing former Army Cadets to get promoted quicker.  This statement was then used to support the argument that no such system existed. 

Former cadets can receive credit towards promotion in the PRes and Reg Force.  Here is what the references have to say:

From CFAO 6-1 -- ENROLMENT - REGULAR FORCE

RANK ON ENROLMENT

9.        Non-Commissioned Members. An applicant for enrolment as an NCM shall be enrolled in the rank of private with the status level of private (recruit) (Pte (R)), except as follows:
        • A former cadet of any of the Canadian cadet organizations who has completed three years as a cadet within the previous five years, during which time the cadet has passed a six-week trade or specialty course, shall be enrolled as Pte (R) and be granted a time credit of 180 days for the purposes of determining the date on which the member will become eligible to be paid the rate of pay prescribed for a private, pay level 1, incentive pay category 1.
        Note - For Army cadets, qualification as Master Cadet, and for Air cadets, a flying scholarship or two completed summer camp courses, each of two weeks duration, will be considered equivalent to a six-week trade or specialty course. For Sea cadets, two completed summer camp courses will be considered equivalent to a six-week trade or specialty course.

From CFAO 49-5 -- CAREER POLICY - NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBER -PRIMARY RESERVE

3.        On enrolment, re-enrolment or transfer, a member who has had former service in the Canadian Forces or in a cadet unit, or service with another country, may be granted a time credit for promotion to Cpl and above, in accordance with this paragraph and as determined by the enrolment authority pursuant to 49-11.  The time credit or seniority granted shall apply only to the rank granted on enrolment as follows:
        • Former cadets of any of the Canadian Cadet organizations may be granted time credit for promotion in            recognition of qualifications they have obtained prior to enrolment. The amount of credit shall be determined by CHQ.

From CFAO 49-12 -- PROMOTION POLICY -OFFICERS -PRIMARY RESERVE
        ANNEX A -- MINIMUM QUALIFYING TIME IN RANK FOR ENTRY TO PROMOTION ZONE FOR NEXT HIGHER RANK

2.            Qualifying time for entry to the promotion zone for the next higher rank is reckoned from the date of seniority in the present rank, except that:
        • cadets who have served a minimum of two years in the rank of warrant officer and above may be granted one year qualifying time in the rank of lieutenant for promotion to the rank of captain.

Can I get the exact link to that? I am on the CFAO under 6-1 however I cannot find the section about cadets.

As a past Cadet/Reservist/CIC/Reg Force I was allowed 6 months.

Just wondering if you have to submit some form of a memo to receive this advance, or is it automatically applied to you if you qualify?
And input would be great, thanks!

Card_11 said:
Just wondering if you have to submit some form of a memo to receive this advance, or is it automatically applied to you if you qualify?
And input would be great, thanks!

You have to provide a letter/record of cadet service when you submit your application.

Kincanucks,
Do you mean the application to join the forces? I filled in the spot for cadets on the application. Do I need another letter or something as well? And how would I go about getting that?

Thanks!

Card_11 said:
Kincanucks,
Do you mean the application to join the forces? I filled in the spot for cadets on the application. Do I need another letter or something as well? And how would I go about getting that?

Thanks!

From your cadet corps.

From your cadet corps.

Is there a different way of getting this letter, as my officer from that time is no longer there, and we had a difficult situation between us, so I am sure they would not be very willing to help me out?

This is scary in it's own right. I was a cadet for 5 years, and was only moderately more qualified to be there (basic training) than some of my peers. There are still MANY things that one learns on their Basic Course that is not covered in Cadets. The biggest things that will give a Cadet a leg up are simply the rank familiarisation and the drill and ceremonial.

I am also fully qualified to say that the Cadets of today, are NOT the Cadets of 14 years ago........As the Cadets when I was in, were not the Cadets of generations previous to us.

Not to say that they're not good at what they do, just that they are different than they used to be. The whole Cadet movement is different, with different aims. It is FAR less military now, than at any time in the past.

Card_11 said:
Is there a different way of getting this letter, as my officer from that time is no longer there, and we had a difficult situation between us, so I am sure they would not be very willing to help me out?

You have to provide official proof of cadet service. Try the Regional Cadet HQ if you have to.

You have to provide official proof of cadet service. Try the Regional Cadet HQ if you have to.
This may seem like a stupid question, but would my certificate for passing NSCE work to show that I was in cadets, and completed all the training?

Card_11 said:
This may seem like a stupid question, but would my certificate for passing NSCE work to show that I was in cadets, and completed all the training?

603 Cadet Service
1. General. An applicant who has served in the Cadet Forces of Canada may, on the authority of the
Commanding Officer of a CFRC, be granted 180 days of Incentive Credit (IC) towards the Pte. IPC 2 pay
category provided that the applicant meets both of the following criteria:

a. completed at least three years of Cadet Service terminating within five years of the date of
applications to the CF; and

b. successfully completed a six-week occupation or specialty course. An applicant with cadet
service may be granted an equivalency in lieu of this requirement at sub para a, if the Cadet
has completed the following appropriate environmental training:

1. Army Cadets â “ The Master Cadet qualification is equivalent to a six-week occupation or
specialty course;

2. Sea Cadets â “ Two summer camp courses, each of which is at least two weeks in duration, is
considered equivalent to a six-week occupation or specialty course; or

3. Air Cadets â “ Two summer camp courses, each of which is at least two weeks in duration, or
a Flying Scholarship, is equivalent to a six-week occupation or specialty course.

2. The credit granted to a cadet on enrolment is a one-time recognition of the experience they have
gained throughout their cadet training. Credit will be granted only on enrolment in one of the components
of the CF and will not be granted on a subsequent transfer between components. Furthermore, cadet
service is not eligible for inclusion when calculating Time Credit for Promotion on enrolment.

Accelerated progression just because you were a cadet, that is a somewhat scary concept.  Anyone I have ever know said that after about 1-1.5months they were pretty much on par with everyone that had no prior experience with the military.  But that is only based off the words of about 30-40 people who have done cadets and then wend reg force.  Just my $0.02

Armageddon said:
Accelerated progression just because you were a cadet, that is a somewhat scary concept.   Anyone I have ever know said that after about 1-1.5months they were pretty much on par with everyone that had no prior experience with the military.   But that is only based off the words of about 30-40 people who have done cadets and then wend reg force.   Just my $0.02

I have never heard anyone getting promoted faster because they were in the cadets or CIC.   Maybe this in reference to CIC keeping their commissions as 2Lt when they go Reg F?

The only thing about cadet service in the recruiting manual is what I have posted above.

The cadets of today certainley are not the cadets from when I was in some 19 years ago.  I still believe in the system and think that it has something to offer the youth of today.  I do think though that the cadet movement has to up it's use of camping, survival, weapons use.

:salute: :cdn: :army:

kincanucks said:
I have never heard anyone getting promoted faster because they were in the cadets or CIC.   Maybe this in reference to CIC keeping their commissions as 2Lt when they go Reg F?

The only thing about cadet service in the recruiting manual is what I have posted above.

While there is nothing in reg force that allows faster promotions from cadets, remember that CIC is part of the Reserve component.  So if you "transfer" you get Time Credit Promotion at the rates which are (I think) 1 for 1 class B/C and 1 for 4 class A.

One thing that wasn't clear for me regarding the 6 month pay incentive for cadets is it only applies if you join first as an NCM.  If you go CIC and then go reg force NCM, you don't get it, which I guess makes sense since you get the reserve time in instead.

2332Piper said:
Somehow the idea of cadet service being an accelerant to your military career strikes me as being a little...odd? Lets be honest here, Cadets isn't exactly representative of the CF, so what makes cadet training equivilant to CF training in such a manner that it serves to advance your promotion? I don't know, just seems odd.

I remember, in the wild days of my youth, being told that being a Gold Star with wrreath Cadet-Sergeant enabled me to gain an immediate promotion to Corporal....

Imagine my suprise when I was invited into the Corporal's Romm of our JR NCO's mess for a nice little "talk"...

Imagine the bruises lol

SB

I joined in the RegF in '92 and since I've found that there are many differences for ex-Cadets.

In my case, I was given 6 months towards pay and promotion for being an Army Cadet. I was a Master Cadet and served 6 years in the Corps. I also served 3 years as a CIC Officer with a total of 278 days on call outs, but was given nothing for it and it and I received nothing at the time of enrolment towards my CD.

After being in 12 years, I was able to reclaim the 3 years as a CIC Officer towards my CD time credit no problem. As for the 278 days of pensionable time.... well when I was in Cornwallis, I asked about it and the admin staff indicated it didn't count. All recruits without previous Pensionable service have to sign a waver. What that means for me is that if I retire at 20 years, I would have received a 41.52% pension rather than a 40% pension.

When you are at the recruiting centre, let them know exactly what you have done in the past.

When you are at the recruiting centre, let them know exactly what you have done in the past.

And be able to prove it.  It is not the job of the recruiting centre to look for a record of your previous cadet service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back