• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Income Tax and Health Insurance

Albertanpride

Inactive
Reaction score
Question 1:
Where are we taxed? For instance my home address is in Alberta but I am currently posted in Quebec. Where do I pay income tax?

Question 2:
Does CF health insurance cover travel into the US? (Ski trip to Vermont this winter)

Thank you.

Albertanpride said:
Question 1:
Where are we taxed? For instance my home address is in Alberta but I am currently posted in Quebec. Where do I pay income tax?

Not enough info in that question.

1.  In "posted", does that mean to a unit or to Recruit School as a Recruit?

2.  What was your Residence on 31 December of the Taxation Year?

Those are but two factors that have to be clarified.

Albertanpride said:
Question 2:
Does CF health insurance cover travel into the US? (Ski trip to Vermont this winter)

If you are talking about Blue Cross, then read the information that came with your card.  Also look at the information on the back of your card that would give you contact numbers.

George Wallace said:
Not enough info in that question.

1.  In "posted", does that mean to a unit or to Recruit School as a Recruit?

2.  What was your Residence on 31 December of the Taxation Year?

Those are but two factors that have to be clarified.

Royal Military College Saint-Jean. My residence is listed as Alberta.

As a Milcol cadet? Then you will be a Quebec resident for tax purposes.

Enjoy!

Albertanpride said:
Question 1:

Thank you.

Provincial taxation depends on your residential ties on 31 Dec of the tax year. The two biggest are where your home (owned or leased) and personal property are located and where your spouse or common law partner and/or dependants reside. In most cases this means where you lived on 31 Dec. If you are single and posted to Quebec, moved there with your DF&E and resided there over 31 Dec then you are almost certainly considered a resident of Quebec for tax purposes even if you maintained a home in another province.  The fact that you may have left Quebec to visit family or friends over the holidays does not change this. If you were attach posted then your residence would most likely be the other province. If you are married or common law or have dependants (for tax purposes) that you support and your family resided in another province then there is a good chance you would claim the other province as your residence for tax purposes. If it is still not clear what your province of residence is then there are tiebreakers that come down to where you have the most residential ties (where you work, what province issued your driver's licence and vehicle registration, provincial health insurance (for family), bank accounts, etc.)

Keep your Alberta DL.  The crown hasn't moved you yet - you're an Alberta resident.

...but don't spend all your disposable income...CRA may, AB PDL notwithstanding, throw you under the taxation bus, as it were, and hook you up with their friends in Qc City, home of the «formulaire Relève 1», which is Québécois for "bend over while I go through your wallet and lighten it of all your spare cash...literally 'to relieve' you of the burden of having spare cash.  I didn't know how bad Qc tax was until I was posted out of the province to Ontario and thought that the pay office had screwed up and doubling up my pay..."Nope, that happens with most people posted in from Quebec." my orderly room told me.

As SKT notes, "enjoy!" :nod:

Your medical is covered in the US. The instructions are on the 2nd page of your leave pass but basically amounts to blue cross insurance or US military hospital.

Tcm621 said:
Your medical is covered in the US. The instructions are on the 2nd page of your leave pass but basically amounts to blue cross insurance or US military hospital.

But do not be surprised to receive a Bill for any medical treatment, which you will have to submit through the Claim process. 

Tcm621 said:

I just returned from a week in Switzerland. I was given all the Blue Cross numbers to use and call in the event of any issues.

Back