• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Increase in voter support for defense spending

14% of people are concerned about national defence? :eek: And thats after September 11th! Double :eek: :eek:

Well, the pollster takes this as a positive development. I wonder if most of that new found enthuasism is due to Mr. Reid‘s clientele (i.e. tell the sr. navy people that hired him exactly what they want to hear so they will hire him again in the future).

After the Olympic games in Greece I bet more people will be interested in defense.

Originally posted by scm77:
[qb] 14% of people are concerned about national defence? :eek: And thats after September 11th! Double :eek: :eek: [/qb]
Keep in mind, according to the poll as I read it, these 11% (estimated at 14% now) view defence depending as a priority, meaning more important than any other national funding concern. I find this fairly encouraging considering this doesn‘t account for those citizens who would put defence number two or three on the list of national priorities. At the very least, the Canadian public is beginning to recognize the needs, capabilities, and, to speak frankly, the existence of the Canadian Forces. This indication of a changing trend in attitude of the public isn‘t much in the scheme of things, but change has to start somewhere.

Of course polls and statistics don‘t always tell the whole truth, but the more important issue is will the gov‘t listen to these concerns?

Here‘s an un-scientific poll from Canada.com, but it‘s interesting none the less.

Q:What election issue concerns you the most?

Health Care: 11.7%
National Security: 32.4%
The Economy: 28.9%
Democratic Reform:27.1%

Now keep in mind this was just a web poll and it doesn‘t say how many people answered, but it‘s interesting that National Security was the number one answer. Also interesting that health care only got 11.7%

Here‘s a pic of it so you know I‘m not making it up.
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7804/Canadacompoll.jpg

and the link
http://www.canada.com/news/world/index.html

Well the voters better start caring about defence.I‘ve a gut feeling that the proverbial **** is going to hit the fan in the next few years and I would like Canada to be better prepared for it than we were in 39.

I am with those taking an optimistic view.

All three parties accept the need. The people put the requiremenent on their list of priorities. It routinely shows above previous priorities like the environment.

The trend is right.

Rick and Hawkeye, I hope you are both wrong, for our sakes.

Off topic....

Anybody notice that the current amphib exercises in the US (USMC, Royal Marines, Dutch Marines... etc ) also includes a Canadian Contingent, I think this is the second time that Canada has sent at least some ground forces. A sign of things to come perhaps?

Increase Defence Spending , I strongly agree , but will we be " Robbing Peter , to pay Paul" ? Our taxes are high enough.Look at the size of this Great Country, and the infrastructure that has to be maintained ( Highways , power , heat , etc.), and the small population ( how many can be taxed).We could have a very well equipped military , of 100,000.But then the Trans-Canada Highway could turn into a gravel road , and as for Health Care , and Old Age Benefits ,we would be on our own.Maybe we should rethink, our " Global Strategy".Do we really need to be overseas, and " Wave the Flag?? Perhaps , focus on the Defence of Canada, can we really safeguard our coasts, or defend the Arctic? Or a terrorist attack , on the scale of 9/11?I my have an " Isolationist" view , on world issues , but in the end it will be the " Dollar" that decides our Military. The Swiss , seem to be content , on the way they run " Defence Business."

Perhaps , it will be like in the past , when , alot of our troops , start coming back in body bags.We have been very " Lucky" , in reguards to casualties overseas. What if we lost an entire Platoon , Company, or all the people on a " Tour"?
It scare ‘s me to death , that history , may repeat itself, in reguards to our Military.

Old Cent' Hand said:
Increase Defence Spending , I strongly agree , but will we be " Robbing Peter , to pay Paul" ? Our taxes are high enough.Look at the size of this Great Country, and the infrastructure that has to be maintained ( Highways , power , heat , etc.), and the small population ( how many can be taxed).We could have a very well equipped military , of 100,000.But then the Trans-Canada Highway could turn into a gravel road , and as for Health Care , and Old Age Benefits ,we would be on our own.Maybe we should rethink, our " Global Strategy".Do we really need to be overseas, and " Wave the Flag?? Perhaps , focus on the Defence of Canada, can we really safeguard our coasts, or defend the Arctic? Or a terrorist attack , on the scale of 9/11?I my have an " Isolationist" view , on world issues , but in the end it will be the " Dollar" that decides our Military. The Swiss , seem to be content , on the way they run " Defence Business."

But Peter was already robbed by Pierre, Brian, and Jean (and Paul if we let him). A list of billions of dollars wasted on scams and feel good programs exists on "the Election" thread. I don't neccessarily see a need for  an increase in taxes to accomadate the # 1 priority for Canadians. merely a reshuffling of priorities by the ruling party to beter reflect the priorities of it's citizens. Simply stop funding art galleries, opera houses, festivals and fairs, multicultural foundations,etc,etc.
    The Liberals have been using the cost of the Conservatives platform in regards to the military against them in order to scare you into voting Liberal. Canada has spent billions of dollars all over the place on programs over the last thirty years that probably rank about 100 on the priority list to most of us.

Back