• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Increased Defence Funding? I think I‘ve heard that song before.

H

humint

OK, I‘ll believe it when I see it -- i.e. increased funding. But, here‘s the latest from O-town. It‘s always the same song and dance from the Ottawa boys every November, isn‘t it?

Also, check out the link for the Conference for Defence Associations, they do a lot to support the CF and push for funding. I also heard that there is a petition out there somewhere for increased defence funding. I haven‘t found it yet, but I will post the link once I do. I strongly urge everyone to sign it. http://www.cda-cdai.ca/english-frame.htm

Chretien hints at more funds for military
‘Always room for improvement,‘ PM says after McCallum‘s plea

Rick Mofina
The Ottawa Citizen; with files from the Calgary Herald

Prime Minister Jean Chr?tien is leaving the door open to pumping more money into Canada‘s military, which Defence Minister John McCallum has portrayed as demoralized and cash-starved.

"There is nothing perfect in any department, there is always room for improvement. And if the minister said that he wants to make improvements in his department, so much the better," Mr. Chr?tien said yesterday during question period.

Opposition MPs assailed the Liberals for Mr. McCallum‘s recent speech, in which he said Canada‘s military is stretched to the limit. The defence minister called on his government to spend part of its budgetary surplus on recruiting and equipping more troops. Some expect the federal surplus this fiscal year could reach $10 billion.

The Canadian Alliance and the Tories accused Mr. McCallum of creating confusion by contradicting government policy. Mr. McCallum had suggested in recent months that Canada‘s military was getting all the money it needs, said Leon Benoit, Alliance defence critic.

"Then, in his speech last Friday, the minister said that the military has been starved so badly that it cannot protect the safety of our citizens and the sovereignty of our nation," Mr. Benoit said. "Explain how this government can spend enough money and not enough money all in the same week?"

Mr. McCallum dismissed the criticism.

"What I said in my speech was very clear, that yes, the government had invested $5 billion in future years into the military and yes, the government at the end of the day will be deciding on the priorities. However, in my humble opinion, I submit respectfully that more resources for the military might be one matter that the government might consider."

Mr. McCallum has been reviewing military priorities since July. On Friday, he used his first major speech since becoming minister five months ago to make clear he agrees with a growing chorus of opinion that the Armed Forces are stretched beyond the limit and need a substantial injection of cash.

Outside the Commons yesterday, Mr. McCallum was cautious about reading Mr. Chr?tien‘s words as full support.

"I certainly was very pleased with the prime minister‘s answer," he said, adding it was premature to determine the depth of support within the cabinet for increased military spending, "but, as I said in the House, it‘s a very good time to be minister of national defence."

Support for more military spending, which traditionally comes from retired generals, is now coming from Liberal doves like Tom Axworthy and Lloyd Axworthy, former foreign affairs minister, Mr. McCallum said. Earlier yesterday, Mr. McCallum was coy as he exited the cabinet meeting, saying only that other Liberals liked his speech.

Mr. McCallum didn‘t mention a dollar figure, but in his speech he said the planned infusion of $5 billion through 2005-06 wasn‘t enough. The budget this year is $11.3 billion.

The government should commit at least $2 billion more a year in the forces, said Corrie Adolph, whose teenage son recently joined the Canadian Forces. The Alberta mother took her drive to get the government to boost its defence spending to Parliament Hill yesterday.

© Copyright 2002 The Ottawa Citizen

uhuh..............yep, more money............yeah..........yeah, the cheque‘s in the mail?? Perfect!!, i‘ll go down to the mailbox and wait for it!.........LOL

Ahhh come on guys. Do what I did...send an e-mail to the PM, sign the patition and make CF spending a national issue up there with healthcare.

Put some pressure on your local MP as well. Write to local newspapers. Its going to take a groundswell for this government to get its head out of its *** and start making this country strong again.

Jug, I have always wondered about writing my MP, did you actually get a responce from them? Did you find them all warm and fuzzy and understanding to your concerns or are they just another schmuk like the guys on the hill?

Yes you do get a response. The usual "thank-you" form letter.

But a response is not really the point of sending these emails to the PM or your MP. If you send it and 10000 others send it (for example), they then have 10001 emails saying essentially the same thing.

The number of emails sends the message not the content of the message...remember, they think votes.

...one more thing.

Now, I challenge everybody on this board to send an email to the PM right now. Doesn‘t have to be elegant...just get the point across that you want to see more money to our forces.

Once you‘ve done that, get your friends to do it...and your parents. Tell them to get thier friends to do the same thing.

Clog up this guys email with the same message.

This is from the PM‘s website at http://pm.gc.ca/. I strongly recommend that everyone on the site write a letter, fax, or email. At the very least, you are taking part in the democratic process and making your thoughts and opinions heard by the boys in O-town. There is no point in complaining about something if you are unprepared to do something about it, even if the actions may seem to be a futile. All letters will receive a reply from the PM‘s Office. This is the best way for the PM‘s office to understand public opinion on the topic of defence spending. The letter does not need to be long -- just a couple of paragraphs will do.

The Prime Minister appreciates receiving comments from visitors to his site. Simply choose one of the options below. You will automatically receive an electronic acknowledgement, and once your views and suggestions have been carefully considered, you may receive a further reply. Your comments may also be forwarded to a minister, and a reply could come from that office.

You can send your comments by E-mail to pm@pm.gc.ca, use our feedback form or write or fax the Prime Minister’s office at:

Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa
K1A 0A2
Fax: 613-941-6900

Here‘s a quick and easy way to make your voice heard. Please find below a very brief letter requesting that the fed gov provide more money to the CF. Please use it, feel free to change/modify it as necessary, and email/fax/or post it to the PM‘s office.

31 October 2002

Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa
K1A 0A2
Fax: 613-941-6900

To the Right Honourable Prime Minister of Canada:

In a speech by the Honourable Mr. McCallum, Minister of National Defence, on Friday 25 October 2002, he characterised the Canadian Forces as demoralised, stretched beyond its limit, and in desperate need of an infusion of cash. Mr. McCallum also noted that an additional $2 Billion a year is needed to improve the CF in terms of operational capabilities, equipment, and personnel.

The situation has become so poor that even Canada’s NATO partners have spoken out on the lack of funds made available to the military. For example, Paul Cellucci, the US ambassador to Canada, recently stated that Canada’s peacekeeping efforts are threatened by inadequate funding and a lack of resources, and that increased defence spending is required For Canada to fulfil it’s obligations to NATO.

Is this the international reputation that we, as Canadians, want?

As a Canadian, I am proud of the Canadian Forces and the work that our military men and women do around the world, and I believe that most Canadian’s share this view. I also agree with Mr. McCallum that the federal government needs to increase the level of funds allocated the Canadian Forces and I strongly urge you, as Prime Minister, to commit additional resources to the military.

Sincerely yours,

XXXX XXXX

What do ya know...I actually got two responces back after sending an email to the PM. Well, I wouldn‘t say responces, your typical "template" style reply BS email from the politicians, but hey, mabye a flood of these emails might make them think differently.......naaawww. :confused:

Just a style/form of address note... it is usual and correct form to address the Prime Minister by name and not by office. In other words, "Dear Mr. Chretien," for the greeting, and "The Rt. Hon. Jean Chretien, PC, MP" for the address line, with the office on the next line below ("Prime Minister of Canada").

I should also remind all that there is no cost to mail a letter to the Prime Minister or any other Member of Parliament, a Senator, or for that matter, the Governor General of Canada, when addressed to them at Parliament of at Rideau Hall.

I figure if you sent the leter with an old armed forces CONFIDENTIAL stamp in red it would go right to him not one of his monkeys in the typing pool. An idea perchance? :) Anyone know where one of those stamps can be had? :D

Dixon,

Dream a little dream. None of this ever makes it past the PMO‘s staff.

And a red OH MY GOODNESS STAMP, maybe you might find yourself on a watch list for deranged individuals who may pose a threat to Diplomatic Principles. :p

Well, I‘ll be darned, Fort Mac, really, maybe I will buy you a coffee next time I am up? Are you old enough to be in Timmies, ;)

Does your corp still meet at Father Merc?

Back