• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Increased Suicide rates

I would love to have the opportunity, if and when I am in the CF to serve members in a mental health capacity...was one of my favorites in uni...I took extra psych courses just for fun  ;D

HL

Could part of it be the spontanaiety of the moment? Someone is miserable, has an errant thought and because of the close proximity of a firearm (or posessing guns of their own at home) just does it?

I dunno. Are old people who are suffering physically and say they want to die mentally ill?

The fortunate thing is that there are much better programs in place now than there were 10-15 years ago.

HollywoodHitman said:
Could part of it be the spontanaiety of the moment? Someone is miserable, has an errant thought and because of the close proximity of a firearm (or posessing guns of their own at home) just does it?

I dunno. Are old people who are suffering physically and say they want to die mentally ill? The fortunate thing is that there are much better programs in place now than there were 10-15 years ago.
Actually there are a large number and it is growing of seniors with mental illness...it's called depression...and it is associated with end of life issues...
I am sure my grandfather had PTSD he was a WWII vet...he used to wake up screaming sometimes...I remember it when I was young and stayed with my grandparents...I used to ask my grandmother what was wrong and she said your granfather doesn't talk about it...but it has to do with the war...So indeed there seems to be some most positive changes to the handling of mental health issues in the CF

HL

LOL
Good to hear...
Love Sidney  ;D
Just another marvelous M*A*S*H* character

HL

hello Gents !
        I think we should knock this topic on the head . It happens everywhere , people being suicidal , or suffering from " emotional " issues . The Army wants people physically fit , but what if they are not fit " upstairs" , meaning they have some kind of emotional disorder . I know of an individual , who tells people he is " coo-koo " , ie " nuts " , he has an anger management issue , and he tortured small animals as a child , but he does the training , and passes the  BFT , he is good to go overseas . This individual wants to open a Day Care Center , with his wife , yes to make more money . I wouldn't sent my pet there . But yet he is good to go .

Old Cent Hand said:
hello Gents !
        I think we should knock this topic on the head . It happens everywhere , people being suicidal , or suffering from " emotional " issues . The Army wants people physically fit , but what if they are not fit " upstairs" , meaning they have some kind of emotional disorder . I know of an individual , who tells people he is " coo-koo " , ie " nuts " , he has an anger management issue , and he tortured small animals as a child , but he does the training , and passes the  BFT , he is good to go overseas . This individual wants to open a Day Care Center , with his wife , yes to make more money . I wouldn't sent my pet there . But yet he is good to go .
That's just great  ???...well herein lies some of the problem, and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong because I don't know if this would apply to the forces...I would thinks so...same human rights apply, correct?

Most people can hold together their behavior for an interview...unless you of course have a severe mental illness that shows outwardly or a regular basis...keep in mind sociopaths are most often "white collar" i.e. Paul Bernardo...so unless someone were to communicate to you, i.e. a reference...that there were issues with this individual, then how would you know.  And realistically do you think individuals would use poor references...I am betting not.

Psychological testing can, to a certain extent rule out some mental health issues, but do they violate your rights?  Are they conclusive?
I guess there is not a sure fire way to weed people out based on mental illness at the get go if they have not revealed issues during the process.
The best line of defense IMO is for supervisors to keep their eyes peeled and ears open to indicators that may be there, otherwise it is sort of like high blood pressure...you can't look at someone and make a diagnosis of hypertension.

My 2 cents

HL

Back