• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

INFANTRY or BOSUN, Input needed, thanks

Martel

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have thought long and hard about my trade options. I have narrowed it down to infantry or bosen. Im a young hard worker in good shape and I want to see some action. I would choose infantry without a doubt however I live in Victoria BC and love vancouver island, that is the only reason I am questioning my choice. If I join the army the closest place I will be sent is edmonton AB. Just asking if some members of either trade could post some information, tell me what its like. Maybe even give a little recomendation. My goal in the end is to hopefully become a SAR tech, if not then I will remuster as a research comm op. Thanks guys

I thought I read somewhere that SAR Tech just opened up, so that it's not a re-muster anymore.  Look into that at your RC.

Martel said:
Hey guys, so I have thought long and hard about my trade options. I have narrowed it down to infantry or bosen. Im a young hard worker in good shape and I want to see some action. I would choose infantry without a doubt however I live in Victoria BC and love vancouver island, that is the only reason I am questioning my choice. If I join the army the closest place I will be sent is edmonton AB. Just asking if some members of either trade could post some information, tell me what its like. Maybe even give a little recomendation. My goal in the end is to hopefully become a SAR tech, if not then I will remuster as a research comm op. Thanks guys

Martel the choice will have to be entirely yours based on what YOU want to do. Both trades have upsides and downsides. Keep in mind that if you join the navy there is absolutely no guarantee that you will end up back in Vic. In fact, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they posted you all the way out to Halifax!
Take care.

Lil_T said:
I thought I read somewhere that SAR Tech just opened up, so that it's not a re-muster anymore.  Look into that at your RC.

You need very specific qualifications and skills in order to apply for direct-entry SAR Tech.

ok - like I said I thought I read it somewhere, I wasn't clear on all the details. 

What do you mean by action?  Do you mean combat or sailing the high seas boarding ships? I'm from Vic too but posted to Edmonton and I love it here. There is lots to do and the city is pro army/support our troops.  It's also cheaper to live here.

I'm a navy guy, so I'm inclined to recommend it to anyone, but if you want to be an infantrymen and go to A-Stan, then don't become a bos'n. If staying close to home is a priority, there's no military trade that can ensure it in any case - so you might as well do what interests you most.

Martel said:
I have narrowed it down to infantry or bosen. Im a young hard worker in good shape and I want to see some action.

Boatswain?  Action?

Portland, Oregon; or Campo Alegre, depending on which coast.

Or so I'm told.  ;D

Do you really want to sit on a piece of metal on the big pond or run around in an open Field....

Infantry all the way

Happy Birthday PPCLI  :cheers:

Small point.  Never count on a remuster/OT to another trade.  Pick a trade you want and will like, as getting an OT is never a guaruntee.

Personally, if it were me, I would go infantry.  But that has nothing to do with you.  You need to decide what you want to do.

Stare at a big grey circle (Navy).

Stare at trees and dirt (Army).

Best of luck!

I myself wouldn't prioritize where you get posted over what trade you want to do, especially since you usually don't stay in that one spot.

Smirnoff123 said:
I myself wouldn't prioritize where you get posted over what trade you want to do, especially since you usually don't stay in that one spot.

ditto!  To add - once you are in, and you give them your "preferences" of where you want to be posted - there's no actual guarantee you'll get them.  Then what are you going to do?  Release?  If you don't ever want to move, maybe the Reserves are a better option for you as it's unrealistic to think you'll always stay in the same area for your entire career.

you will not get seasick on land, that may be a factor in your decision.

Seasickness may not seem like an issue sitting in your cozy living room but the Grand Banks in January can (will) make you pray for a FOB in Kandahar.

I am a sailor, ex-infantry and I would have stayed Army. Nothing against the Navy, it has been an outstanding go!
But the sea is cruel and unforgiving.

HFXCrow said:
But the sea is cruel and unforgiving.

"The men are the heroes; the heroines the ships. The only villain is the sea, the cruel sea that man has made more cruel."

mariomike said:
"The men are the heroes; the heroines the ships. The only villain is the sea, the cruel sea that man has made more cruel."

And here I thought the only villain was the SOB that took the last bowl of soup at Stand Easy.  ;D

Lil_T said:
ditto!  To add - once you are in, and you give them your "preferences" of where you want to be posted - there's no actual guarantee you'll get them.  Then what are you going to do?  Release?  If you don't ever want to move, maybe the Reserves are a better option for you as it's unrealistic to think you'll always stay in the same area for your entire career.
although in hard sea trades such as bos'n you do indicate home port east or west and for the most part stay there - just get shuffled between ships and land billets.

CountDC said:
although in hard sea trades such as bos'n you do indicate home port east or west and for the most part stay there - just get shuffled between ships and land billets.

This is true.  (I guess I'm too used to purple life ;))  Though there are still possibilities to be posted elsewhere in the country.

Back