• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Informing the Army’s Future Structure

I still think there needs to be two types of reservists, and reserve units, or sub units.

The more willing and able, in one, and the less flexible/unwilling/unable in another.

Which might look like ?

reservists and territorials?

trained contractors and willing unpaid help?

Which might look like ?

reservists and territorials?

trained contractors and willing unpaid help?
I think Wagner has poisoned the Armed Contractor concept for a whole long time.

I’m more thinking of readiness and training levels (and equipment levels).
Joining the PRes every one needs to do recruit/basic/basic trade
Then one can stream to;

A) a ready reserve unit that is part of a larger regular entity, they have more training days more requirements, and unlimited class B or C with the regular parent.

B) a reserve unit that is more of a territorial defense force - limited Class A and B opportunity

As well as life changes members can switch between them (as long as not on class B or C at the time) and meet the requirements of the entity they are transferring into.

The Ready Reserve would pick up a lot of student and seasonal workers - while the Territorial entities would generally be older with fixed careers with less room for going soldiering.

Which again is why this structure is absurd as it doesn’t allow for realistic management of people. The fact that the average reserve unit can’t tell you its effective strength should be seen as unacceptable.
Is there really units that can't tell? If so, well this is a bit of uselessness leadership(IO don't know if it's a word but it's the only polite I was thinking of)

Then one can stream to;

A) a ready reserve unit that is part of a larger regular entity, they have more training days more requirements, and unlimited class B or C with the regular parent.

B) a reserve unit that is more of a territorial defense force - limited Class A and B opportunity

As well as life changes members can switch between them (as long as not on class B or C at the time) and meet the requirements of the entity they are transferring into.

The Ready Reserve would pick up a lot of student and seasonal workers - while the Territorial entities would generally be older with fixed careers with less room for going soldiering.

So how about one short term common entry programme of 6 weeks? Modeled after the current Ukrainian system. This would also be a mutual evaluation period.

Territorials are the first way point - unpaid volunteers willing to make themselves available for local emergencies - also willing to sign up for Special Forces (as defined in the NDA)

Second way point - short term soldiers willing to spend two to three years with the colours followed by 5 to 7 years with the ready reserve.

Third way point - career soldiers and staff.

So how about one short term common entry programme of 6 weeks? Modeled after the current Ukrainian system. This would also be a mutual evaluation period.

Territorials are the first way point - unpaid volunteers willing to make themselves available for local emergencies - also willing to sign up for Special Forces (as defined in the NDA)

Second way point - short term soldiers willing to spend two to three years with the colours followed by 5 to 7 years with the ready reserve.

The big difference between Ukraine and us is that they are at war. A lot of things are extra training. What will they do in a unit with 6 weeks of training in a peace time country? More training.

With out pay, 6 weeks, forget it. If you life as a soldier doesn't worth pay it to much for what we can give.

The big difference between Ukraine and us is that they are at war. A lot of things are extra training. What will they do in a unit with 6 weeks of training in a peace time country? More training.

With out pay, 6 weeks, forget it. If you life as a soldier doesn't worth pay it to much for what we can give.

There are willing volunteers out there. And they are willing to take on all sorts of jobs. When their time allows.

And yes, you would be paid for the 6 weeks. And any Special Force work.

Then one can stream to;

I've actually been toying with the idea that the Canadian Ranger concept can be expanded into the B) category that you propose, without an awful lot of modification other than to up the numbers in the southern and coastal regions.

🍻

The idea of unpaid volunteers for Military Service of any type is kind of ludicrous.
It’s not a civilian air patrol or search and rescue mob.

Common Entry of 16 weeks maybe.
6 weeks can work for immediate wartime needs, but a lot of peacetime requirements get dropped.

If applied like it's written and intended to work, our system would be ok.

The idea of unpaid volunteers for Military Service of any type is kind of ludicrous.
It’s not a civilian air patrol or search and rescue mob.

Common Entry of 16 weeks maybe.
6 weeks can work for immediate wartime needs, but a lot of peacetime requirements get dropped.

Apparently it is not ludicrous in Scandinavia.

Nor was it ludicrous in a Britain of which I have been told.

Is there really units that can't tell? If so, well this is a bit of uselessness leadership(IO don't know if it's a word but it's the only polite I was thinking of)
Well define “effective strength” in the reserves. Shows up once a month for three hours? Is borderline NES? Is that effective? The great areas in there are massive.

All the metrics on reserve ES and TES are tracked, and easy to find on the DWAN. But to save you a search, it's a lot of dark red, red, and a tiny bit of yellow, and 1 green unit.
My point is roughly this: if a CO is asked what the strength of his unit is that can be so full of grey (almost NES, not OFP but active, has none of their annual ibts) as to make it meaningless.

Cor Blimey...

336174471_937146724400269_5025921311681586065_n.jpg

16,230 people withdrew their services.

3,570 people decided they didn't like the terms on offer.

2,540 trained people decided they no longer liked the terms on offer.

They are no longer willing to serve.

Somewhat different when your volunteer fencibles were a drinking club to show off your patriotism, and involved walking around the local county in a fine display. We expect a bit more.

So do the Scandinavians. And the Balts.

Well define “effective strength” in the reserves. Shows up once a month for three hours? Is borderline NES? Is that effective? The great areas in there are massive.
I think it was across 2 Div if not, that's whats done at the unit (bless by JAG). Pre-COVID, in Sept, we issue a training calendar to which you have to commit and sign for (as I recall) 75-80% of it. Life can change that's ok, you have to fill the paperwork.

For that to work, you have to micro manage a bit the absenties but when some where told to bring there kit back, the word spread. Then COVID happen. I dont know if they still do it. I can ask.

16,230 people withdrew their services.

3,570 people decided they didn't like the terms on offer.

2,540 trained people decided they no longer liked the terms on offer.

They are no longer willing to serve.
Relevence? I’m not sure they have opted to do the job part time for free.

Back