• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Instructor language at BMQ

bcbarman said:
No matter what course you are in, no matter what level you are trying to acheave, there has been people that have done it before, and guess what,  They are the ones that are teaching you what to do next.  Anyone who has been an instructor has had one of "those" moments. 

Too many to mention...and even more to forget. Big thing is to LEARN.

Those of us that remember V-neck Tshirts will laugh at that.....

What do you mean remember? I still wear 'em in the field.    ;)

Good points bcbarman.

Regards

Like with everything, basic training has changed in its approach to training.

Being a reservist I may not be able to give any of points deriving from any Regular Force experience, but I will give my two cents regarding BMQ training from a Reserve perspective.

I have been through several basic trainings.  Done my QL2 in 1999, and my BOTC (RESO) twice (got med rtu'd the first time).  One of those BOTC was a Reg Force RESO (the first one).  Every one of those courses had instructors with different methods of instructions.  They all provided valuable and useful information and experiences which allowed us to progress while still being challenged.  True enough, the language that was being used on my QL2 compared to now was not so rosy (and yes I know that for those whoe have done their courses prior to myself have had it worse).

I have been running many courses recently, most of them BMQ/SQ/DP1(the most recent one being a Weekend BMQ, that is a whole other story...), and the changes are still happening.  I have been harped on many a times by higher for staff using foul language.  I know we are supposed to be a lovey dovey army, but you can't expect people to change overnight.  The remidial Physical Training has been severely limited too.  We are not to exceed the 40 mins PT time allotted to us.  We were not allowed giving them push-ups (even if we were doing them as well) since it may be viewed by the public as punishment.

Things have changed

Im an instructor for Wester Area Training Center and WOW there is alot of weird ideas on here.  there are many of you who are right.  All I can say to this is, there are alot of old school guys putting in their 2 cents and honestly to you other folk those guys know what their talking about I wouldnt question it.  I work around alot of guys who have TI and they have taught me a thing or two about limits and lines they are there getting around them is simple as long as its legal and justifiable.  trust me! ...I went into watc thinking we have to treat the students like walmart workers and all that stuff but honestly its not like that at all, it is an insult to an intructor to say we coddle the troops.  WAAAAAY off on that one.  Its still damn hard ( not as hard as it used to be) but hard.  stress is a huge factor and despite the limitations we are put on as instructors it is extremly easy to place candidates in stressful situations in order to see their reaction.  This dosnt mean we have to get them to get down and give us 20 however there is a proper way to do a push up and ensuring the troops are aware of that technique is justafiable. On that note I think you get the drift. 
UBIQUE

It's exactly it...Kewl and the rest of the new guys (myself included) take heed to these guys.

I'm just about to head for my DP1 out in Shilo and damn I've been picking up great tips from guys with PLQ + in my unit and senior troops here on this forum.

I thought about turning my small pack into my ruck...I've tried attaching the valise and thermarest to it...Damn that was a mistake...Biggest god damn irritation on the lowerback and it just isn't made for such weight.

My SGT on BMQ/SQ was the best ever...He cared about the troops, cared about himself and his kit and taught us a bunch of really neat tricks which I'm still using every time I head out into the field or training.  I won't get into the details but the SGT served in Bosnia, Cyprus, and had a tour in Afghanistan in the early stages...He's been there, done that.

BMQ has it's ups and downs, but if it's too easy for you, then do something to increase the difficulty...Don't slack off when your done (Which by the way, your never done)...Do something useful like trying to improve your physical fitness, help your section and platoon mates...The list never ends.

Welcome to the beginning, but hear the words of the experienced...You don't know jack all yet

UBIQUE

Well, back again for more input.

Maybe I did talk too fast, haha. I will listen to the elder now. I have to admit, the mental portion of the course is better now (once you get used to it like I said), but the initial ''chilled out'' atmosphere disappeared by week 2, with the physical portion getting harder and harder and more than 30% of the platoon giving up during PT in the morning, though I've been keeping up quite well until now, from theory to the physical, I even beat my section commander in filling up C7 Mags manually, twice.  ;D

Though I almost reached my physical capability limits when we found ourselves in 40 Deg C weather doing PT in full NBC gear (the older, non-camo models) this week at some point, boy does it become hard to breath through that single canister when your heart rate goes way up.

Anyhow, so far so good, and I still stand by my comment, it seems like the instructors are much more ''careful'' now than back in the days, a section from the other platoon reported their MCpl that was throwing their gear around and yelling out some pretty harcore stuff at them during inspection, which got regarded as ''harassement'', but they decided to settle it face to face, and now he is much more relaxed with them, so I still think I was right by saying that with the implementation of the CPHR system in the FC, these courses are getting easier compared to, say, 6-7 years ago. By the way, I witnessed it first hand, because the perticular section is in the tent right in front of us during the course. I don't necessarily agree with this whole system, I was expecting much more abuse to be honest, and I'm not satisfied. I know it sounds wierd, but, yeah.

I do love the way that the instructors from Blackwatch yell though, it makes me smile everytime.  :)

Though I love it, my capabilities got much higher now, after 3 weeks, I can do those daliy pushups without cringing now. Gotta work on the cardio though.  :p

Good to hear that you are now into the course....and that the learning curve is going up.

As for the 40C weather and being in MOPP 4....it's a part of soldiering that no one actually relishes. Try doing that for 48 hours solid while performing a NBC Recce Team task with FFO.    ;D

As for your instructor throwing around kit and getting into trouble for it....there is probably more to it than that I would think.

There really is no need for any sort of abuse.....for there is field training to come, and there is plenty of stress for you then.

Good luck and keep the youngin's here appraised of how you are making out. You may inadvertently help them.    ;)

Regards

From some one who just completed BMQ/SQ and is now on DP1 (Infantry), I can say that I was never physically beaten. The worst punishment was pushups (whoopedy do!). Last week we were CB'd and had to do a ruck march for punishment for not having clean EIS (the worst was my bayonet). I have had kit kicked over. A few have had their dirty boots thrown at them. I've been called everyname I can think of, and I cam away from all of it feeling fine. In a week I'll be DP1 (Infantry) qualified, and sofar have no regrets.

P.S. BMQ was a reality shock for the first three days, then evened out. SQ was not much harder, but  DP1 has been stepped up a bit.

EAT THE WEAK!!

The Army has changed quite a bit in the last 7+ years. For the most part, not alot of yelling at specific individuals, unless these individuals screw up on something as serious as securing kit, etc. I never notice a persons personal kit being touched by Staff anymore. Physical Training was alot harder, if you couldn't go any longer... the Staff would of course yell at you, knock you around a bit.. keep you going. Thats part of why Training & alot of members Physical Fitness is so poor these days, because no one is allowed to really force you to do anything! I mean its the Army, makes you wonder what new recruits these days expect when they join the Forces.

I mean, one complaint, A valid complaint, can get an Instructor booted off a Course in a snap now a days, retarded.

artfuldodga said:
I mean, one complaint, A valid complaint, can get an Instructor booted off a Course in a snap now a days, retarded.

I would say thats always been the case,...what has changed is what constitutes a valid complaint.

SHARP ruined and helped the military life.

If you get some weak, judgemental, babied individual, he can bash and complain his instructors all he wants about anything...Hell I was hit in the back of the head with the butt end of a pickaxe by my SGT but never took it personally...I screwed up and left my rifle pointing a little bit off the safe line.. Although a bit rash, I wasn't about to complain about it...It's their job to make sure we dont screw up..>Especially on operation and thats what Soldier Training is all about.  Don't put your buddies and the mission at risk...This is why it should be harder so you don't get cocky, arrogant individuals who think they know everything.

Even now we see Kewl's judgement has changed.  He's turning into a respectful troop realizing there are strong points and weak points to the job we do.

Anywho, just checkin in...Moving my stuff to a trailer tomorrow...Gotta get packed  :threat:

Back for more information to give out.

Just one week to go in order to finish my SQ now. BMQ was actually much, much more ''psychologically'' stressful than for SQ. Yes, in SQ, you do get a lot of physical self-abuse from, for instance, PTs, pushups, ruck marches w/ the C6 (in my case, haha  :threat: ), but, you know what, I would do that every other day rather than the much more ''psychologically'' stressful BMQ. I am loving my job now, I cannot wait to do the infantry course next summer, and finally get my rank and 22nd reg. beaver badge  ;D . I have much more respect and admiration for my instructors now, and really want to be doing that in the future, in a few years, after hopefully being able to do a MCpl course, and give new troups courses and introduce them to what our beautiful army is.  :salute: :cdn:

Back