• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Insurance through the Forces

nick_s02

Inactive
Reaction score
I've looked everywhere for the answer to this question with no luck so I hope someone can help me out on here. I leave for BMQ at the end of October until February 03 and my car insurance runs out on Feb. 08. My question is, how long before the I can be insured through the forces and who do I see about this? Sorry if this has already been posted and thanks for whatever input you have.

i didnt know you could get car insurance through the canadian forces? you could always tell your insurance company just to go ahead and re-insure you for another year if your worried about not having insurance.

Try this link out. They will be able to answer any questions. http://www.canex.thepersonal.com/LaPersonnelle/EN/ON/Index/CANEX/

Well, you could always call your insurance company and tell them to continue insuring you.  I know that my car insurance expires every October, but in September they always send me a letter informing me of my rate changes for the upcoming year and it just renews come November.

Since you joined the army, you might want to ask your insurance company if they give any discounts for military personel.

I am with Belair Direct and they have a pretty sweet government employee discount which I am taking full advantage of.

I'd recommend an Insurance Broker if you were going to change Companies.   That way they will get you the cheapest they can find for you.  

You can see if there are any Government Discounts available.

Changing Companies can prove expensive, as you are a "New" client, and will not have a Driving Record with them, so you will have higher rates.   If you stay with a Company for a long period and have a proven Driving Record, you will usually find that you will get cheaper rates than a new client does.   You don't have to change Companies just because you have moved.

For Life Insurance, I would suggest that you take SISIP.   If you have any other type of Life Insurance, check your policy for the "War Clause".   With the changing times, most, if not all, Insurance Companies have changed their "War Clause" to include any incident involving "Insergency", not just War.   This Clause, could void your policy, so read it very carefully.

George Wallace said:
For Life Insurance, I would suggest that you take SISIP.   If you have any other type of Life Insurance, check your policy for the "War Clause".   With the changing times, most, if not all, Insurance Companies have changed their "War Clause" to include and incident involving "Insergency", not just War.   This Clause, could void your policy, so read it very carefully.

A very valid point, George.

Some companies will not insure you if you participate in certain "hazardous activities" such as parachuting, scuba diving, climbing etc., all of which could form part of your military duties.

Read the fine print... always!

George Wallace said:
Changing Companies can prove expensive, as you are a "New" client, and will not have a Driving Record with them, so you will have higher rates.  

Unless you go with State Farm who gives you a "New Client Discount" of about 10%. So your premium actually goes down with them!!

23007 said:
Unless you go with State Farm who gives you a "New Client Discount" of about 10%. So your premium actually goes down with them!!
And next year?    :o

;D

Back