• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Insurgent ground assaults on KAF and BAF

French, Dutch soldiers killed in Afghan blast
22 May 2010 18:32:05 GMT Source: Reuters
Article Link

PARIS, May 22 (Reuters) - Two foreign soldiers and an Afghan interpreter were killed by an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan, the French government said on Saturday.

A French and Dutch soldier died along with the Afghan and four other Dutch soldiers were wounded, a statement said, without specifying where or when the attack took place.

The Taliban have announced an offensive from May 20 against the government, foreign forces and diplomats in Afghanistan in response to NATO plans for an operation against the group's southern stronghold of Kandahar.

Taliban militants fired rockets and mortars at Kandahar airfield in southern Afghanistan on Saturday, wounding NATO troops, officials said.
end

Watch Officer traffic.

22 MAY 10 2012L: COMPLEX ATTACK: KAF: KANDAHAR PROVINCE; KAF subjected to 9 rounds of indirect fire accompanied by SAF. Will update as information becomes available.

2020L Our guys in KAF are reporting 3 rounds…1 near the hotel, 2 near the boardwalk…..no info on the reported other 6 rkts or the SA.

2027L Reports from RED HORSE that KAF north side is under ground attack, further report that one container (possibly but not confirmed) ECOLOG was hit by a rocket. All this is too preliminary to confirm at this time.

2034L I have unarmed guards on north side of KAF 100 meters from inside  fence line reporting no small arms fire heard in their vicinity, but siren GROUND ATTACK is broad-casted.  Number of rockets is between 4-8.  Situation still developing

Bastards, sound like they lit up somebody's laundry!!!

As I said, just the usual fighting season announcement; somebody spent their hard earned heroin money on some extra rockets.  For guys outside the wire, it's on.

mariomike said:
A "Cronkite moment"?
As in, “If I’ve lost Cronkite, I’ve lost the war.”?:
http://mediamythalert.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/another-twist-to-the-cronkite-moment/

No. As in Cronkite, despite all evidence that TET had failed, declaring the war lost. It did wonders for his career, something that has not been lost on his wannabe successors.

Old Sweat said:
I don't think they need to muster a lot of strength. They are getting lots of attention for little cost to themselves, andI suspect they are hoping for somebody to pull a Cronkite.

You'd think from the comments on CBC, that it's more a "last helicopter out of Saigon" moment.

ModlrMike said:
You'd think from the comments on CBC, that it's more a "last helicopter out of Saigon" moment.

It could be with this administration running the war.

Old Sweat said:
No. As in Cronkite, despite all evidence that TET had failed, declaring the war lost. It did wonders for his career, something that has not been lost on his wannabe successors.

That is what I was referring to. Sorry if my post was not clear.

I'm not sure whether this news agency's info is inaccurate or whether all the other ones are just not reporting it.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=127490&sectionid=351020403

Militants heavily damage Kandahar base
Sun, 23 May 2010 16:57:01 GMT

New details have emerged about a rocket attack on a NATO base in southern Afghanistan amid growing assaults on the US-led military instillations in the country.

The militants fired five rockets at the Kandahar base in on Saturday evening, wounding 4 Canadian soldiers along with several NATO civilian staff, a Press TV correspondent reported on Sunday.

Two NATO helicopters were also destroyed in the attacks. A spokesman for the alliance says the attackers had tried to get into the base, but were repelled by the foreign troops.

This is the second rocket attack on a NATO base in Afghanistan over the past week. However, it was the first organized attack against the US-led forces in the country.

The Taliban have claimed responsibility for the attack. A spokesman for the militants claims the attack left 13 foreign soldiers dead and eight others wounded.

On Wednesday, Taliban militants launched an assault on the Bagram airbase outside the capital, Kabul.

Attacks against some 130,000 foreign troops in Afghanistan have recently been on the rise. The US plans to deploy 30,000 extra troops by August in an effort to bring the growing militancy under control.

The 2001 US-led invasion of Afghanistan has so far failed to bring security to the war-ravaged country.

I pray for the family's of the fallen and wish a speedy recovery to the wounded. R.I.P

Bo said:
I'm not sure whether this news agency's info is inaccurate or whether all the other ones are just not reporting it.

Reuters, yesterday, was reporting that only three rockets hit the base. One hit a helicopter terminal used by foreign troops, wounding four. A second hit a volleyball court in the centre of the main shopping area of the base known as the boardwalk, while the third hit nothing.

Source: Reuters Alertnet
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SGE64L04J.htm

Bo said:

I think it highly unlikely that an Iranian press organ will post accurate information about western casualties or the Taleban's successes.

harry8422 said:
I pray for the family's of the fallen and wish a speedy recovery to the wounded. R.I.P
Very noble of you to pray for the familes of the fallen.  All fallen in the KAF attack were of the enemy.  But, I must admit, that I did pray for TB that we were about to kill.  I prayed for mercy on their souls.  Then I watched them die.

:cheers:

Jammer said:
I felt nothing. at anytime.
Oh, I felt no remorse for them: they were my enemy.  It had to be done.  One time, clearly I thought "Dude, you picked the wrong side".  Then he died. 

As I read that, I see where I buggered up.  No, dude didn't die because I thought  "You picked the wrong side".  I said that as the rounds were in the air.  I hope that clears THAT up...

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=24338611

I thought the media wasnt alowed to report on where the rockets hit...

Technoviking said:
  No, dude didn't die because I thought  "You picked the wrong side".  I said that as the rounds were in the air.

I have heard that the Technoviking has some mysterious powers......
Just sayin'

Oddball

dogger1936 said:
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=24338611

I thought the media wasnt alowed to report on where the rockets hit...

Yeah, because now they have the TGI Friday's zeroed in. 

Question of the Day;

If you are enjoying a delicious meal a la carte at TGI Fridays, and the rocket attack kicks in or worse, a ground assault (if that's what we call harrassing fire these days) takes place, how do you settle up your bill?

Back