• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Intelligence Operator in the Armoured Corps

AaronJohnTurner

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm currently coming to the end of my Crewman DP1, and today  my fellow coursemates and I received our posting messages. while everybody else got positions such as driver, gunner, surv op, loader, supply, and transport, i was the only one it seems who got intelligence operator. I'm going to ask on of my DS tomorrow for clarification and any knowledge on this they may have, as I was not even actuely aware that this was a postion/trade  they could slap me in as a fresh DP1-qualified trooper, let alone any armoured soldier. I knew Intel was a purple trade but didn't think it could be a position within another trade.

So my question to any of you current crewman or any knowledgable folks in the field is this. Do you know of anyone who's been put directly into a position like this as a crewman, and what it might entail as an Int Op within the armoured corps specifically?

You'll likely be occupying a combat int position - people from non-int trades are sent on the combat int course so they can function in a unit intelligence cell.

MM

NODLR said:
I knew Intel was a purple trade but didn't think it could be a position within another trade.

This has nothing to do with the Int Op trade or it being "purple". Just like other people will work in transport and supply, you will work in the Regiment's intelligence section. You remain an armoured crewman by trade and all the career progression that entails. You will not remain in this section your entire career so don't sweat it too much but remember that it fulfills a critical function for your regiment's combat effectiveness.

Also just to add, just because it says something on your posting message does not always mean that it is the position that you will actually go to.  When I was posted my position said "Standards WO" and in fact still says that, I have yet to work in standards.

And your position number at your regiment may be for an Int Op, but due to manning issues you are filling that position inorder that you can be posted there. And you might never see the inside of the Int sect, it happens.

I can tell you with some certainty you'll never see the Int shop for the following reasons: you are not a Cpl nor qualified Cmbt Int.

You'll go to one of the Sqns in the C lines or Transport until a position becomes available.

You'll find out more when you clear into F-104.

Welcome to The Regiment.

Regards

That is assuming you're a strathcona. I received the same answers from the DS that some career manager just has to put those in to fill slots. Sounds about right in army logic.

NODLR said:
That is assuming you're a strathcona. I received the same answers from the DS that some career manager just has to put those in to fill slots. Sounds about right in army logic.

The career manager fills position numbers. The units are, in most cases, free to employ those posted in any capacity they wish. I was once posted to CFSME in the Ops NCO line number but was never employed as such.

NODLR said:

Well I don't quite think Der Panzerkommandant is a Strathcona as our Regiments lines consist of Bldg 405 The Harvey Bldg, 406 The Richardson Tank Park, and 406A. So if you will have the springbok on your head upon graduation, then he knows which bldgs you will call home.

medicineman said:
You'll likely be occupying a combat int position - people from non-int trades are sent on the combat int course so they can function in a unit intelligence cell.

MM

Its a good thing, HOWEVER (there are always those):

In my experience, the more senior cpls or ptes are usually the Cbt Int Ops, not someone right out of DP1. You need the experience of working as a crew, section, troop, etc to gain experience and understand what's being taught to you.

I was the Unit Int Sgt and Acting Int Officer at points in my career. Very good and gratifying work.

Good luck.

NODLR said:

I am not a dirty frackin', gravy drinkin' Strat.    ;)

Have fun running up RCD Hill and the sand hills behind C50.

Regards

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
I am not a dirty frackin', gravy drinkin' Strat.    ;)

Have fun running up RCD Hill and the sand hills behind C50.

Regards

Yuck - some of the crazier UPTA's in 2 Fd Amb used to make us run up RCD Hill backwards when I was a visitor there a number of years ago...yup have fun with that :).

Well then, I'll be seeing you in the hallway then on your first day. Make sure your kit is sorted before you get here, we'll be in the field for most of september. Welcome to the Regt.

If they can't issue anything else to you, when you get there, make sure you get your gravy carafe. ;)

NODLR said:
I have heard many a tale about RCD hill here, but alas I'm off to Edmonton.

Hey now....the Edmonton area is "the bomb".......espescially if you're closer to Morinville......or Namaio for that matter.

All flat, (easy PT),

All flat, (easy NAV)......

And that's about it.

(I grew up in that area but, MAKE SURE YOUR WINTER KIT IS UP TO SNUFF)....

Sorry I yelled.

HS (former frozen Albertan)

Back