• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Internet at the MEGA

muffin said:
I talk to my cousin in the Mega on the Bistro computers and they are open till 10 some weeknights - there is stilla  20 min limit though then it boots you off.

Yeah, I've heard the Bistro was open on weekdays, but who the hell has time to go? ;)

spqr said:
If you are on a higher up floor in the blue sector facing the main gate you can pick up weak unsecured wifi signals from accross the street.  The best plan is to just get a Bell plug in modem that requires nothing more than an electrical outlet and access to a 1X.  Easily available throught the mega (green and blue sectors).  They didn't have them at the Bell store in the mall at St. Jean but you can pick them up in Montreal. 

If you have it the podmates will come a crawling.

I was trying to remember the name that Bell now calls this service.  I had gone in looking for their CD that they no longer provide, for use while you travel.  They used to have that CD that was like a 'Bell Card' and it would give you 300 minutes at a cost of $9.95.  They don't do that anymore, but have this new system.  The $200 +/- purchase price, and $40 monthly fee turned me off, as that would be added to your normal service and bills whether you travelled or not.

George Wallace said:
I was trying to remember the name that Bell now calls this service.  I had gone in looking for their CD that they no longer provide, for use while you travel.  They used to have that CD that was like a 'Bell Card' and it would give you 300 minutes at a cost of $9.95.  They don't do that anymore, but have this new system.  The $200 +/- purchase price, and $40 monthly fee turned me off, as that would be added to your normal service and bills whether you travelled or not.
I think its called Sympatico unplugged

I am living the SLT...at the Fort dream...as we speak...
If you have any questions that you might like to ask and I could help with please feel free to PM me...

HL

I'm on PAT since september 2006 and i had a personal high-speed connection in my room.  First you need to submit a memo telling that you want an internet connection.  When it's approved the exacta center gives you a guide with the steps to follow.

Basiclly, you connect a Bell phone line in your room and add a high-speed connection on it.  Ultra high speed isn't avaible in the mega since the wires are too old. So i got mid-high speed connection and a phone line for about 75$ a month. (Don't forget to lock your wireless modem-routers or you will become the internet bitch of about half the mega.)

Now the bad news : internet access have been allowed for my room, but my staff warned me that a move to another room is something that can happen. And it does (even more on PAT). So i had to pay for a reconnection...nah i disconnect everything for good.  And beside that, maybe i'm a bit lazy, but plugging and unplugging everything each day was a bit tedious, as hiding all that stuff for inspections too.

So, yes it possible to have internet in your room, but i don't think  it's worth it.  As for cellular signal, it really depends of where you are in the MEGA.  I gain a much better reception passing from 8 floor to 10 floor.

Catburglar

I'm pretty sure that Bell Sympatico has exclusive rights for wired connections in the MEGA, and they are a real PITA to deal with (

Bell Canada has amonopoly on all structered Cabling within the Forces for thier own service only, but it is of course on a nationaly negoitiated contract, keep in mind GP_Net is coming hard and fast (basically the DNET with less controls, very likely all the internet workstations are or will be soon converted) also we have a guy out there on SLT right now with a DIN account, there is always that method to email back and forth with the fam, 3 tours and 3 kids later thats how my wife and I talked

/edit ... doh use search first  .. nifty trick lol was this automatically moved ?
/second edit ... umm ok then  envelope and paper it is and or phone

does anyone know if the will be occasional access to the internet (like a internet cafe )
after the first 4 weeks

reason i ask is my wife and I are trying to sort out what forms of communications I will have access to while I am away
email was one method we were hopeful to use

I will be purchasing a phone card and lots of stamps envelopes and paper .. just in case
also debating about bringing my cell (as in its kinda vague if it will be allowed)
I could get one with a data plan ... mine is like 6 yrs old and starting to die ..
I had to take it apart and use a piece of credit card to get the power switch to
work again its pretty baffed ( and too old to get parts for :()

Drifter said:
/edit ... doh use search first  .. nifty trick lol was this automatically moved ?
/second edit ... umm ok then  envelope and paper it is and or phone

does anyone know if the will be occasional access to the internet (like a internet cafe )
after the first 4 weeks

reason i ask is my wife and I are trying to sort out what forms of communications I will have access to while I am away
email was one method we were hopeful to use

I will be purchasing a phone card and lots of stamps envelopes and paper .. just in case
also debating about bringing my cell (as in its kinda vague if it will be allowed)
I could get one with a data plan ... mine is like 6 yrs old and starting to die ..
I had to take it apart and use a piece of credit card to get the power switch to
work again its pretty baffed ( and too old to get parts for :()

Sounds like it's time for you to get a new cellphone!!! :nod:

Drifter said:

No, the Mod staff is just that darn good........ :nod:

Good luck.

I am at Mega right now, using my rogers iphone to tether, Speed is around 600Kb not as fast as Vancouver when I had 2100kb I am allowed electronics from Friday 1800 to Sunday 1800

I'm in the blue section at the Mega, no wifi here. I found wifi parked outside of the Futureshop and inside the Harvey's, both in St-Jean. 5 min drive from Mega. I'm starting week 6. We didn't see our electronics till our first weekend off which was after week 4 (note: week 0, week 1 etc.) Prior to coming, buy really good phone cards as you can use the payphones anytime.

Just to follow up on that, here are some option for internet access with out your own internet stick/laptop

There are bell internet kiosks in the Green Break Area, 2 dollars for 10 minutes, they are quite slow.

There are 11 computers at O`Mega mess, they are free, you are given 20 minutes to start with and if it now busy, they will add time. Mess is only open certain hours and is not accessible during indoc.

I have also seen some signs around subway but I am not sure what they have inside.

In our Platoon, I have a Rogers Rocket hub, it is a wifi hotspot, i let people use it and they pay me. More info can be found rogers website.

cheers

I myself had a rogers rocket while I was in St Jean. I also knew of people who had rockets from telus and bell. In my opinion I would wait till your first weekend out and get an internet stick then. That way you wont be paying for your cotract while you are on indoc and cant use it.

Godd luck!
Cheers!

Back